Watching TV on the Ship

bshow

We are journalists / communication people so addicted to news. We watch CNN getting ready for dinner and right before we sleep briefly for headlines.

I also in 2008 watched an entire Red Sox game in Alaska and missed dinner and a show. It was a Lester no hitter. I screamed and cried like a schoolgirl too. I'm not ashamed.

Understand the screaming and crying ....I'm a Cubs fan

Sometimes you're hanging out in the Neptune Lounge with people you've just met and the conversation hits an awkward pause. Having the TV on - and it's usually tuned to a news channel - allows you to to interject random "news things" into the conversation. It's great for throwing the complainers off their game.

Is the person you're talking to complaining about the temperature on the ship? Mention whatever weather story's on TV. 'You might be uncomfortable in the dining room, but how about those record lows in international Falls, Minnesota?*' . Or, if you really want to get out of the conversation, look your acquaintance in the eye, holding eye contact just a little too long for comfort. Then, lean in, and just above a whisper, ask - in a deadly serious tone, "Just between us, how much gold and silver do you think William Devane really has in his safe?" Then dart your eyes around the room several times.

"If you are feeling daring, you can also bring up the fact that Worcester, Massachusetts is the warmest of coldest 50 cities in the United States. Make sure you pronounce it "Wore-chest-er," not Wustah. You don't want to risk being mistaken for someone who is un-crazy.

Thanks for the distraction. It's definitely Wuhster - or if it makes it easier - Wooster. As in Bertie Wooster. It is always amusing to hear non-Brits try to pronounce some of these words. No wonder they say the English language is the hardest to learn.

We watch one movie every night at bed time. We either watch the one they are showing on the tv, borrow one from the office, or watch one we take with us. We have a couple we watch every cruise (RV with Robin Williams). We also enjoy the navigation channel and looking at where we've been and where we are going.

Thanks for the distraction. It's definitely Wuhster - or if it makes it easier - Wooster. As in Bertie Wooster. It is always amusing to hear non-Brits try to pronounce some of these words. No wonder they say the English language is the hardest to learn.

Nope, Sorry but Wooster does not cut it.

It is Whist-ah or for some Whist-ore. :D :D (accent on first syllable.)

There is never a 'woo' sound in Worcester when properly pronounced by a born and bred Bostonian.

Edited by sail7seas

I was on a cruise in November 2008 on election night when Obama was elected, so I was watching it then, but usually I don't watch TV, except the channel talking about shore excursions for ports coming up, or the current condition channels. Also if I have an inside cabin the front camera is good to see what the weather is like outside. I don't watch "entertainment" programs though.

LOL........ there you go again. Good thing I had just put down my ice water or I'd be buying a new laptop. :D :D

Yes, It's Whistah.......... You had to go and tell the world? How will we know the wanna'be's??

*LOL* My wife's cousins are from Peabody . The always correct me and say "Pea Bud E" when I say "Pea Body"

I try to explain that the little cartoon dog with glasses that has a boy named Sherman pronounces it that way . But they don't want to hear it.

They can be wicked stubborn :)

There is never a 'woo' sound in Worcester when properly pronounced by a born and bred Bostonian.

I dunno, I hear more of a short u sound, like the ou in would would sound to me - but I'm "from away."

Here's an interesting exercise: It's a dialect heat map quiz. It only works for the US as far as I know.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

It pretty much nailed my native accent.

Edited by POA1

*LOL* My wife's cousins are from Peabody . The always correct me and say "Pea Bud E" when I say "Pea Body"

I try to explain that the little cartoon dog with glasses that has a boy named Sherman pronounces it that way . But they don't want to hear it.

They can be wicked stubborn :)

Your wife's cousins have it Just Right !! :D

I dunno, I hear more of a short u sound, like the ou in would would sound to me - but I'm "from away."

Here's an interesting exercise: It's a dialect heat map quiz. It only works for the US as far as I know.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

It pretty much nailed my native accent.

Because our weather can vary so much from the coast to inland, (and the Worcester hills), the forecasters on TV usually tell us what to expect near the coast vs. to the west in our state. I listened very carefully tonight and sure enough, we got a "Whist - ah". :) Been here all my life and that's the only way we've ever pronounced it.

What does the NY times know about how to pronounce Worcester the 'correct' way? :)

What does the NY times know about how to pronounce Worcester the 'correct' way? :)

The New York Times link is to a 25 question quiz which aims to determine what part of the USA you are from based on the words you use and how you pronounce certain words.

Worcester doesn't even enter the equation. For the record, I bet we pronounce Worcester the same. It's just that we spell what we pronounce differently. ;)

Sail, you have to remember that you are pronouncing it with a distinctive New England accent. The original Worcester is in the UK, as you know, and the British pronounce it as Wooster. They got to pronounce it first, you know. ;)

The English language became somewhat fractured when it migrated to North America. I lived across the river from Calais, Maine for years and still cringe when I hear it pronounced Cahlass. I can only imagine how a person from France would react to that. :eek:

Sail, you have to remember that you are pronouncing it with a distinctive New England accent. The original Worcester is in the UK, as you know, and the British pronounce it as Wooster. They got to pronounce it first, you know. ;)

The English language became somewhat fractured when it migrated to North America. I lived across the river from Calais, Maine for years and still cringe when I hear it pronounced Cahlass. I can only imagine how a person from France would react to that. :eek:

That's OK sapper, I will let my rellies who live in Worcester know that they haven't been pronouncing it properly, as well the BBC, and that the NY Times knows better. I'm sure they will appreciate being educated on this, as will the rest of the UK. We will stop rolling in laughter hearing all the other mispronunciations of place names by US tourists and adopt their way of saying instead, because of course they must be right.:D

I do watch TV while my family gets ready for dinner. Just came back from the Eurodam and their movie streaming service on their TV is great. They had a lot of recent movies and even a documentary section. Got to watch a new movie every night before sleeping. Their streaming is better than Netflix! A year ago it was not the same and I did not watch any TV because they repeated the same 2 or 3 movies all week, but now with the streaming you have something different to watch every night!

I do watch TV while my family gets ready for dinner. Just came back from the Eurodam and their movie streaming service on their TV is great. They had a lot of recent movies and even a documentary section. Got to watch a new movie every night before sleeping. Their streaming is better than Netflix! A year ago it was not the same and I did not watch any TV because they repeated the same 2 or 3 movies all week, but now with the streaming you have something different to watch every night! New bigger tvs are fine too!

My husband, born in Boston and who grew up in Maine, lived in Worcester for years and says Wooster. He says he's never heard Whist-ah. But now that I think about it, I have heard folks say it that way. (We do have discussions at our house about pronunciation...I grew up in N.J.

Edited by Barrheadlass

My husband, born in Boston and who grew up in Maine, lived in Worcester for years and says Wooster. He says he's never heard Whist-ah. But now that I think about it, I have heard folks say it that way. (We do have discussions at our house about pronunciation...I grew up in N.J.

With all respect, it doesn't make sense to say 'Wooster" when there is only one "o" in the word. Where does the 'woo' come from? :confused: We all know Bostonians drop our 'r's so the 'r's' in Worcester are ignored by Most Bostonians. :D

But don't pull the 'wicked' business. I have never heard a single friend or associate of mine use wicked in the way some who mock us do. We use wicked only as per its definition. :) I hear TV ads using it and wonder where that all came from. No one I know says that.

What does UK have to do with how Bostonians drop our R's? :D

We don't say a great many things in the way Brits do. A jumper is a sleeveless dress worn over a blouse or jersey..... it isn't a sweater. The bonnet of an auto is a hood or trunk. A lift is an elevator.... And so forth.

Edited by sail7seas

Worcestershire sauce - which began this inane conversation - originated in the UK. Just been assured from Worcester that it is pronounced with a Wuss as in Puss:D:D Interesting that according to Barrheadlass, it is pronounced the same way in the US town of Worcester. But doubtless those who live in the city with the same name on both side of the world must be wrong.

Worcestershire sauce - which began this inane conversation - originated in the UK. Just been assured from Worcester that it is pronounced with a Wuss as in Puss:D:D Interesting that according to Barrheadlass, it is pronounced the same way in the US town of Worcester. But doubtless those who live in the city with the same name on both side of the world must be wrong.

I hate to add to thread drift - but...that is how we pronounce Worcestershire sauce here in Canada too ;)

Of course, we also use a lot of English spelling here too :)

What does UK have to do with how Bostonians drop our R's? :D

We don't say a great many things in the way Brits do. A jumper is a sleeveless dress worn over a blouse or jersey..... it isn't a sweater. The bonnet of an auto is a hood or trunk. A lift is an elevator.... And so forth.

If I'm not mistaken the English language originated in the UK. And you are right about Bostonian pronunciation having nothing to do with English as it is properly spoken.

Yes, of course, it must be all those stupid people at MIT, Harvard, Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham & Womens Hospital and all the multitude of world class educational and medical institutions spent way too much time watching TV on HAL when they should have been studying. :D

Pull all the TV's........ :eek: :D Too many ill-educated Bostonians watching.

Edited by sail7seas

If I'm not mistaken the English language originated in the UK. And you are right about Bostonian pronunciation having nothing to do with English as it is properly spoken.

Well, here in the colonies, we still cling to our stubborn need for independence. :D

I have to say, as a native New Yorker, born in the Bronx, I prefer the UK pronunciation/spelling for a lot of words. Just my contribution to thread drift ;)

ML

Well, here in the colonies, we still cling to our stubborn need for independence. :D

I have to say, as a native New Yorker, born in the Bronx, I prefer the UK pronunciation/spelling for a lot of words. Just my contribution to thread drift ;)

ML

I always knew you had good taste ;)

ML

Actually I was born in Boston but I prefer the British spellings and pronunciations as well. :)