May Alaska cruise Crown Princess

CU64

Southern California? In May? In Alaska. My guess is that you'll freeze your butts off on the balcony-covered or not. At least with a covered balcony you won't get too wet when it rains.

Depending on how early in May, it can be pretty cool.

If it is lat May, it will be warmer, but warm by So. Calif. standards.

I remember once I was in San Diego in Feb. It as in the 60's. I had just a regular suit on and the locals were running around in down parkas.

Dress warm for the balcony.

are you saying NOT to go in May? When is the best time to take a chance on Glacier Bay? Have been to Alaska in Aug with sun daily & Tracey Arm but have not seen GB.

Thanks for feedback.

Barbara

I have gone many times mid-May and later (prefer end of May - first of June) and it is gorgeous. Historically, this is a dry time (less rain) compared to August and September for Alaska, but not guarantees.

I wouldn't go the first week in May but May 20th or so is fine. I have gone multiple times during this time.

As far as Glacier Bay - it is fine for all summer. Ships don't have problems getting to Glacier Bay.

It may be a little cooler in May (though I had a July cruise where it was colder, odd) but IMO is beautiful. There is still snow on the mountains and there can be snow in the Yukon and in Whittier on the ground.

I prefer a covered balcony vs an uncovered balcony. Or if on the Grand class, go for Caribe balcony which is half covered, half open.

Edited by Coral

The balconies on the Caribe deck are half covered and half open air - and almost double in size compared to other decks (minus dolphin; they are nearly the same size, just fully uncovered). Hope this helps!

Edited by RossaMotoretta

• 1 month later...

We have also done this one a couple times.. Always get covered to Alaska if you can.. We had a covered once and the upgrade fairy came knocking. 1st time ever! We were so excited, but we didnt have a covered balcony and it rained a lot that trip.. So we didnt spend that much time outside.. Not that I would ever say no the upgrade fairy, but I would think twice if it was Alaska in May. ;)

are you saying NOT to go in May? When is the best time to take a chance on Glacier Bay? Have been to Alaska in Aug with sun daily & Tracey Arm but have not seen GB.

Thanks for feedback.

Barbara

We go to Alaska at least every other year, once in May and all other times in Sept. We've only encountered bad weather once in our many cruises up there and it wasn't even the one in May. We got a balcony cabin on that early May cruise that departed from San Francisco.. The weather was phenomenal ... we sat out on the balcony many days well into the evening and never froze our butts off. The one bad weather cruise we had up there left on Sept 16th ... still ended up being one of our best cruises on which we've sailed, though. It was cold, rainy, windy...really windy as a matter of act. It was freezing by the glacier and sleety as well. We went the same time of year the following year and were at the glacier out at the pool in our swim suits....nice and sunny and not very cold. You just never know what the weather will be like up there and only go by the averages.

I would still get a covered or at least a half covered balcony, as you can find on the Caribe deck. For us, a balcony is very nice but never required ... but of all the places where a balcony is most valuable, I would say it is Alaska. Either starboard or port ... as others have said, the scenery is all around you....it is just stunning!! However, we've done inside cabins up there as well and still saw the same beautiful scenery by just stepping out onto an open deck. The only negative I can think of is that the Crown does not have an indoor pool .... for me, that is a must for Alaska if you don't have your own balcony.