Toddler-proofing your cabin with balcony

We are travelling on Allure of the Seas in suite with balconies. We are going with two 3 year old boys. We want to take all measures possible to child-proof the rooms, particularly the balcony doors. I've heard/read they are hard to open but we don't want to take any chances.

I'm thinking of putting those stick on magnetic sensors alarms that are triggered when doors or windows are open. Or putting one of those door handle jams (like a stick that wedges between the door handle and the floor, but use it to prop the door closed.

Naturally we will instruct our kids never to touch the doors but we don't want to take any chances.

Anyone else have similar issues or concerns and how did you deal with it? Any other tips, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciate.

If you put the child proof locks on, they won't be able to open them...I have a hard time when the lock is engaged! You are never more than 3 steps away from them..the cabins are tiny....they and you will be fine! I mean, at home, do they jump off your deck or porch or down the stairs? They won't on a ship, either! Little kids have more "survival instinct" than teens....no worries!

Edited by cb at sea

I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to those doors. You will see when you get there. They are almost impossible to open, I can't even do it. I need my husband to open it for me. You can always put something in front of the door to block it.

Balcony doors are very heavy and hard open. I don't think you need to be overly concerned.

I think parents/caregivers often overlook the main cabin door. Easier to open and automatically locks behind you like any hotel room door. All the doors look the same when in the corridor! Suggest putting a door decoration on the door for recognition in case they "escape." Use the security chain/deadbolt so kids can't open.

Enforce rules for the balcony. No climbing on chairs, never out there alone, etc.

I agree with everything written. High second lock makes balcony impossible to open. However the main cabin door is a different story. We've been on 5 NCL ships with dd. Next month will be her first RCCL. Maybe the doors are different on RC but you cannot bar the door from the inside so no security chain and when you put on the deadbolt it automatically releases when the door is opened from the inside.

We learned the hard way on the cruise just after she turned 3. The first night we visited the kids club which was down the hall quite a bit and up one floor. We were unpacking and she was playing. She is petite so it never occurred to us she could open the door. Before we knew what was happening she bolted out the door, ran down the hall, up the stairs, and ended at the kid's club. She had just enough of a head start that I didn't catch up until the kid's club door. She was giggling all the way. So each night we put suitcases in front of the door.

My solution for the next cruise and every hotel since then is a device called addalock. You'll probably have to get it online but it's great and won't accidentally set off an alarm like the sensors and so far she hasn't figured out how to get it off.

Also know that if they lock the bathroom door you can usually unlock with a coin from the outside. You can probably guess how I know that.:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you're really worried about your kids opening doors, get some of these appliance strap locks and replace the adhesive with Command Strips instead.

Doors can be locked up out of reach, and the adhesive can be easily removed without damaging the lock or the door/wall. Then you can reuse the locks at home, hotels, when visiting friends/relatives, etc.