NCL Breakaway to Bermuda

macanudo23

Hi fellow NCL travelers....Question for anyone who has been on the Breakaway to Bermuda for the 7 days......It says it stays in Bermuda for 3 days straight, so does it just stay in port and you go on and off as you please for the 3 days? or do you book excursions and just do them and come back to the ship after? I want to do the Breakaway but I hate the port it goes to (Port Canaveral, Nassau and GSC) on its normal Sailings.

When you go to Bermuda you are free to come and go as you please while you are there. The ship is like your floating hotel. If you do an excursion in the morning you can come back for lunch then take a cab somewhere else for the afternoon/evening.

We did the BA to Bermuda in Oct and had a great time. We ARE doing the FLA/Nassau one in April because my adult children wanted to join and that was the only one we could all do together - oh well... I will just have to wait until next fall for Bermuda again.

Enjoy the trip!

The ship stays in port, and you are free to come and go 24 hours a day. You can explore on your own or take excursions if you prefer.

We never take cruise ships excursions in Bermuda as it's very easy to travel around the country via bus, ferry and taxi.

• 2 months later...

We fell in love with the NCL Breakaway, and 7 day Bermuda cruise last year. At first we thought, oh you only get to go to one location, but it was worth it. Here is a quick video of some of the sights we were able to visit on the 3 days in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by mustangfan

It's the only way to go in my opinion. If you rent mopeds, you can park them right at the pier. We went off to a small beach nearby at midnight and drank wine. It's great not having to rush back.

The ship stays in port for the 3 days. You come and go as you please. During the summer, there is a street fair (Harbor Nights) every Wednesday. Catch a ferry across to hamilton. Great Fun! Not too much at the port,,, you need to catch a ferry or public transportation to other parts of the island.

It's the only way to go in my opinion. If you rent mopeds, you can park them right at the pier. We went off to a small beach nearby at midnight and drank wine. It's great not having to rush back.

Just wanted to point out that there are numerous articles on the danger of renting scooters in Bermuda. There is a post on cruise critic dated 20 July 2013, titles Big Mikes Guide. He and his wife are experienced motorcycle riders and almost had serious accidents when they rented scooters. His advice is not to rent a scooter unless you have at least 2 years experience driving motorcycles. I disagree somewhat in that a motorcycle is MUCH SAFER then a scooter or moped.

Ditto on the dangers of renting & riding mopeds in BDA - they drive to the left & keep left and can be confusing to the typical US drivers, accustomed to walking & staying right while driving/riding. There are no expressways or highways and posted speed limit is 25 mph, for good reasons - roads are winding & narrow, and very few traffic lights outside of downtown Hamilton) & plenty of rotary (traffic circles) - meaning caution, yielding the right-of-way and stop signs, etc. and watching out for hidden driveways. Renting a moped is not recommended, and if insisted upon - make sure you have travel/medical insurance & automobile liability coverage. Visiting tourists had been seriously injuried, including fatalities (as I recall from years ago) - or ended up for unplanned stay of a longer duration on the island ... which has 2 hospitals with ER facilities.

Destination subforum - Bermuda has tons of useful info, tips & links on DIY tours, etc. Nice way to get to St. George on the far (east) end of the islands is via the Fast Ferry service during the day, from there - take the bus to downtown Hamilton - then, return to Dockyard (ship piers) via the ferry or bus. We loved BDA & will be visiting again for a 4th time in May and DIY, skipping over-priced shorex entirely.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00006f.htm

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000073.htm

The ship stays in port, and you are free to come and go 24 hours a day. You can explore on your own or take excursions if you prefer.

We never take cruise ships excursions in Bermuda as it's very easy to travel around the country via bus, ferry and taxi.

NJ, I feel the same way. We have been to the island many times and we map it out before going and do the plan. We did the last BA to Bermuda in 2015 and the 50th Bermuda Tatoo, it was great.

We booked then 2016 trip while on the ship

We were afraid of 3 days in one port, but Bermuda is great. Extremely friendly people, easy easy bus and ferry system ( no need for excursions ) just ask bus drivers how to get where u want to go. Wednesday =Harbor nights in Hamilton (short ferry ride). Glass factory, fort, dolphins, beach, rum cake and pottery places, all portside. Loved the pink beaches and glass beach (unbelievable ) . Search on port of call- tons of info

Safe sailing

and just a side note if you feel like renting a scooter.... one of the easiest targets for thieves are purses or bags in the scooter basket while driving. What a thief will do is drive up alongside on their own scooter (faster than the tourist ones), snatch the bag and are gone....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we are thinking of Bermuda (again) mid to late October, 2016 on the Breakaway. Do you remember how the weather was at that time....Any good information about the Breakaway, regarding dining, shows, etc. would be most appreciated.

Glad you enjoyed....

We fell in love with the NCL Breakaway, and 7 day Bermuda cruise last year. At first we thought, oh you only get to go to one location, but it was worth it. Here is a quick video of some of the sights we were able to visit on the 3 days in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I watched your video. Can you explain how you got to the caves? We'd like to take our granddaughter when we cruise on the Breakaway May 8th.

We received great advice from our guide last year: No matter how good of a rider you are, if you are used to driving on the right-hand side of the road, in an emergency, you revert to what you know and that causes crashes when the other drivers are used to driving on the left-hand side.

Also, while there is a hospital on Bermuda, it's not what you are probably accustomed to. The guide told us everyone has to go elsewhere for surgery (he would be visiting NYC the following week for surgery). I can't imagine being med flighted back to the states for emergency surgery due to a moped accident. Just not worth the risk.

I watched your video. Can you explain how you got to the caves? We'd like to take our granddaughter when we cruise on the Breakaway May 8th.

Bus Routes: Buses #1, 3 (between Hamilton City and St George's) go via Crystal & Fantasy caves. Also accessible from bus routes 10 and 11. To reach the caves from the dockyard (kings wharf), walk down to the ferry dock at the dockyard, take the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton City (20 minutes), and take bus #1 or 3 for the caves (25-30 minutes). This is the easiest way to reach the caves from the dockyard. Alternatively you can also take bus #7 or 8 to Hamilton (takes nearly one hour from dockyard ) and then transfer to #1 or 3. You will also get taxis from Dockyard taxi stand. Take about 45 minutes by taxi to reach the caves from dockyard. On your return, you may not get a taxi unless you see one getting released by other visitors.

Hi, we are thinking of Bermuda (again) mid to late October, 2016 on the Breakaway. Do you remember how the weather was at that time....Any good information about the Breakaway, regarding dining, shows, etc. would be most appreciated.

Glad you enjoyed....

Average weather in October for Bermuda:

Air Temp: 80.5°F, Sea Temp: 78.0°F, Rain: 6.6"/13days, Humidity: 73%

Edited by esm54687

Bus Routes: Buses #1, 3 (between Hamilton City and St George's) go via Crystal & Fantasy caves. Also accessible from bus routes 10 and 11. To reach the caves from the dockyard (kings wharf), walk down to the ferry dock at the dockyard, take the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton City (20 minutes), and take bus #1 or 3 for the caves (25-30 minutes). This is the easiest way to reach the caves from the dockyard. Alternatively you can also take bus #7 or 8 to Hamilton (takes nearly one hour from dockyard ) and then transfer to #1 or 3. You will also get taxis from Dockyard taxi stand. Take about 45 minutes by taxi to reach the caves from dockyard. On your return, you may not get a taxi unless you see one getting released by other visitors.

You could also take the ferry to St. George and hit the caves from that direction. On the way to Hamilton from the caves, you could hit the zoo/aquarium, too.