Pre- cruise stay at Valparaiso (Santiago) Chile

ACHOI

We will go for the 14 day cruise to South America in March. As we will fly to Santiago the day before, so we have to stay in the hotel for one day. Any suggestion with the location of the hotel as we will board the ship at Valparaiso which is quite a distance from the airport. What is the more convenient and safe place to stay while we can also do some sight seeing ? Any tips and hints will be very much appreciated.

We will go for the 14 day cruise to South America in March. As we will fly to Santiago the day before, so we have to stay in the hotel for one day. Any suggestion with the location of the hotel as we will board the ship at Valparaiso which is quite a distance from the airport. What is the more convenient and safe place to stay while we can also do some sight seeing ? Any tips and hints will be very much appreciated.

Of course everyone will tell you to check out the ports boards and I agree.

your question is tough as you will most likely be jet lagged. If you weren't I would stay in Santiago, or if you had a couple of days, stay in Santiago. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous city.

One day, I think I would head to Val. We did a private transfer last time and it worked out beautifully.

If you go to your roll call, you may find someone in the same boat as you (so to speak) and be able to share a transfer possibly.

Val has some things to offer and if you are a fan of Latin poetry, one of Pablo Neruda's houses is there. I think it's the smallest of all of them, but it's a nice visit.

It's a nice port town but certainly Santiago is the jewel (IMO).

If you have any chance, come in a few days earlier and enjoy Santiago. it's worth it :)

Of course everyone will tell you to check out the ports boards and I agree.

your question is tough as you will most likely be jet lagged. If you weren't I would stay in Santiago, or if you had a couple of days, stay in Santiago. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous city.

One day, I think I would head to Val. We did a private transfer last time and it worked out beautifully.

If you go to your roll call, you may find someone in the same boat as you (so to speak) and be able to share a transfer possibly.

Val has some things to offer and if you are a fan of Latin poetry, one of Pablo Neruda's houses is there. I think it's the smallest of all of them, but it's a nice visit.

It's a nice port town but certainly Santiago is the jewel (IMO).

If you have any chance, come in a few days earlier and enjoy Santiago. it's worth it :)

Completely agree with Kazu.. Try to spend a few days in Santiago..I t is an incredible city, but if that is not possible then staying in Valparaiso probably would be better.. Hopefully you will find others you can connect with on your roll call thread.. We stayed at the Hyatt in Santiago for about three days.. It was a great location..

Edited by serendipity1499

No idea of OP budget for hotel.

IF you want a perfectly acceptable cheaper Santiago option than HYATT maybe try the IBIS. Great location. Very clean hotel with small but clean rooms. Don't expect it to be the HYATT but you'll also not expect to pay anywhere near Hyatt prices leaving you more funds to explore Santiago which is indeed an interesting city....as is Valpariso (also stayed IBIS there as it is literally right across street from where the ship docks)....

No idea of OP budget for hotel.

IF you want a perfectly acceptable cheaper Santiago option than HYATT maybe try the IBIS. Great location. Very clean hotel with small but clean rooms. Don't expect it to be the HYATT but you'll also not expect to pay anywhere near Hyatt prices leaving you more funds to explore Santiago which is i)....

Hyatt was reasonable my priced when we were there. It was not expensive.

Hyatt was reasonable my priced when we were there. It was not expensive.

Just checked set of dates in Feb for Santiago. Hyatt quotes $207 usd, Ibis quotes $60.

Of course it is all relative. Hyatt no doubt is a much fancier and nicer hotel but for us Ibis was also just fine and we made good use of the 150 usd we saved on the room. Ibis location is excellent.

We stayed at the Marriott on Kennedy which is within a safe stroll to nice shopping and restaurants.

We have always used Christian "The Van Man" Montenegro for our transfers. His drivers have always been prompt and courteous and his costs reasonable. You can schedule a tour of vineyards between Santiago and Valpo as well through him.

Edited by 0bnxshs

I have a different suggestion - to get rid off the inevitable jet lag we decided not to stay in Santiago but went to Vina del Mar which is a short drive to Valparaiso harbour, staying at the Sheraton for two nights, walking the beach, strolling through Valparaiso. We took a private transfer from Santiago to Valparaiso , seeing much of the countryside and stopping at a vineyard for lunch on the way.

The second time we stayed in Santiago itself , taking Holland America's hotel offer ( including transfers). Hotel wasn't anything special, but breakfast was included and the HopOn bus stopped right outside the hotel. If I remember rightly it was a Sheraton also.

By all means Viña del Mar is a marvelous place to stay. Beautiful gingerbread on the houses which were the summer "cottages" of the high officials and diplomats pre AC.

There is now a subway to and from Valpo.