Dress code in Caribbean

Early Retiree

We are considering a 10 night Silver Spirit Caribbean cruise. Does anyone know if formal is required in the Caribbean? We like to dress up but I hate packing and transporting everything only to find out on board that formal is optional. Any help is appreciated.

Merril

IMO, Silversea is, by far, the most formal luxury cruise line. Some people can tolerate it while others cannot. We enjoy Silversea but do have an issue with so many "formal" and "informal" nights! There is one Silversea ship that was in Africa last week with air conditioning issues but guests were still expected to adhere to their strict dress code. I will likely be flamed for these comments but that is how we feel.

In December, I did a B2B on the Whisper - the first 7 day leg Barbados - Barbados had one night which was sorta formal, but was called 'Formal Optional' in the Patter. The second 8 day leg - Barbados - Fort Lauderdale - had one night that was definitely 'Formal'.

I do love this whole 'Formal Night' thing - it's about the only time women actually have a serious advantage over men. I can take one pair of white linen pants and one pair of black linen pants and dress them up with sparkly tops for 'Formal' and down with casual tops for other nights - for men it's either some form of suit and tie, or not.

In my 100+ days with SS, I never have figured the difference between 'casual' and 'informal', altho' one thing I do know - don't wear floaty sleeves for Hot Rocks ...

But then I live in Bermuda and the whole 'dressing up' thing is a perpetual joke to me ...

IMO, Silversea is, by far, the most formal luxury cruise line. Some people can tolerate it while others cannot. We enjoy Silversea but do have an issue with so many "formal" and "informal" nights! There is one Silversea ship that was in Africa last week with air conditioning issues but guests were still expected to adhere to their strict dress code. I will likely be flamed for these comments but that is how we feel.

Sorry Travelcat but you are not quite right here. Formal attire is required in the main dining room but anywhere else you can wear what you like. While Silversea may say they prefer a jacket (tie optional) in the Terrazza or the Grill, we found on the Cloud last month that they were extremely relaxed about the whole thing. I didn't wear a jacket on either formal night and neither did several other passengers.

I think Cunard has a seriously strict dress code and so does Saga. But who goes on those ships?

Sorry Travelcat but you are not quite right here. Formal attire is required in the main dining room but anywhere else you can wear what you like. While Silversea may say they prefer a jacket (tie optional) in the Terrazza or the Grill, we found on the Cloud last month that they were extremely relaxed about the whole thing. I didn't wear a jacket on either formal night and neither did several other passengers.

Unfortunately that looks like standards are slipping on the Cloud. The tone is usually set by the Maitre'd and some are obviously a bit 'new school'.

The writer and comedian David Mitchell had an interesting series about manners and etiquette which aired on BBC radio last week. They touched on dress codes, specifically in hotels and restaurants and noted that 'standards' nowadays are upheld by the middle classes, the 'new money' and the pretentious people while the genuinely classy, sophisticated, aristocrats and 'old money' have long ago decided to abandon them in most situations.

A lot also depends on one's background and career. I always worked in the arts and journalism so suits and ties were hardly ever worn. The last time I wore a dinner jacket was in 1983 when I dined at the Guildhall in London with, inter alia, HRH The Prince of Wales and Orson Welles.

As my West Africa trip was my first Silversea experience I can't really comment about standards slipping on the Cloud. All I would say is that the Cloud didn't strike me as a ship worth 'dressing up' for. It was quite ordinary in my view and the food possibly the poorest of my entire cruising life.

Edited by Fletcher

Formal nights are OK, but I wish they would eliminate or reduce the number of informal nights. I don't see a lot of value in them when it seems most men (including me) basically wear casual attire with a coat on top. And most women wear clothes largely indistinguishable from casual.

I think Cunard has a seriously strict dress code and so does Saga. But who goes on those ships?

Thank you for explaining your experience in La Terrazza on "Formal" nights. I would agree with you about Cunard (know nothing about Saga). I did not include Cunard as I was only comparing luxury ships. While Cunard has a luxury section, most of the ship is more mainstream (note: have not sailed on Cunard but some friends have and enjoy the Queen's Grill).