Blue Card plan reviews please

sue2go

Just call Princess, Yesterday I called and purchased the UBD for our cabin. I selected the date I wanted. I chose the evening that I predicted would have the warmest weather based on our latitude. Any further changes can be made once I board and have more knowledge of the predicted weather.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/KpsaIMCU80wsDi0qrRxYr2ktS2FyX7dRHcl9OGVQwlT?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

UBD.jpg.052965c90d2e273f9785769926f6f64a.jpg

Edited by masterty

. . . I have ordered a thing that you wet and wear around your neck to help with the heat from Magellan's... will post a report after our cruise (to thank all the kind folks on this board for sharing their knowledge and experiences) and let you know how it worked! I also have some cool wipes my daughter jokingly gave me years ago in my stocking for dealing with hot flashes that I plan to pack and take along - hahaha!

We were in Panama February a few years ago. The weather was fantastic! We also brought those neck towels that you moisten and wrap around your neck to keep cool. Never used them. Have a great trip. The canal is mesmerizing.

We are actually visiting family in Venice Beach for a few days prior to the cruise, and they just said and you are coming during our el nino! I do hope it's not going to make for rough sailing, but I'll cover up and enjoy what I can despite the rain! Guess I should pack some rain shoes, eh?

I have done the Mexican Rivera twice now and both times the seas coming and going were rough. The first time, so pronounced that they closed off the pool almost every day with large waves. As you would sit in the dining room looking outside, you would see sky one moment, the next just blue (water). I am sure glad we all had our Meclizine! The first trip was on the Princess Dawn, the 2nd on the Grand. I'm not sure how they compare in size to your ship. People who worked on the ship said the seas in ***that*** area (coming and going to Baja) are almost always rough, so be prepared. We had a room all the way in the back. It rocked us to sleep!

Where else can you post a question and get so much help and advice while you sleep?? We are located almost mid ship, and I have my Bonine and my ginger gum in my packing pile. Hopefully things won't be too rough. And yes, I had read conflicting info on how to schedule the UBD, citing both room service and dine line. Will I'm sure get 'er done so to speak. And I may just decide to unplug for 15 days unless someone recently on the Island reports that the internet is actually worth the $$. Will try to connect to wifi in ports to just check in if it's easily available. Crooners - check! We love live music and it's one of the things we look forward to about the cruise.

Edited by sue2go

Regarding the internet - was figuring that it was pretty much a waste of money based on the complaints on the speed... has something changed to make it tolerable? Not expecting lightening fast, but also don't want to pay good money for slow dial up type speed...

Some information:

Internet can be slow at times, but if you use it late night, on port days, during dinner hours, it's ok. We just use it for e-mail, and don't require many mins. Most ports have free wi-fi, just follow the crew.

Remember to turn the cell phone to airplane mode so you don't get charged for incoming data. It has been reported on these boards that passengers that leave their phone on in the normal mode get really big charges. Use of a cell phone on the ship has a very very expensive per min. charge for the satellite uplift, plus you may get roaming charges from your provider, depending on your plan.

Regarding the internet - was figuring that it was pretty much a waste of money based on the complaints on the speed... has something changed to make it tolerable? Not expecting lightening fast, but also don't want to pay good money for slow dial up type speed...

The Internet we experienced on our Dec. 5 Island cruise wasn't much worse than we get at home. On the other hand, we're told that what we get here can barely be called broadband. In any case, we didn't find it worthless. We got Internet minutes as part of our Platinum status so didn't pay for them.

As nukesubsailor said, the Island Princess once had, and still does have, a show called "On the Bayou." It has been moved to the Princess Theater, but is still among the best Princess production shows. It may be better on the revolving stages of the Coral, but I guess we'll never know. Good show.

My only real beef about the Island Princess is that the coffee bar doesn't open until 6 a.m., and the Horizon Court doesn't open until 5:30. If you wake up before that, there is NOWHERE to get coffee. You can call room service, but that doesn't work for us when I'm trying to get caffeinated while my wife sleeps.

Jim

Thanks for the feedback on the internet speed... will have to decide whether to unplug or stay in touch! I will definitely check out on the Bayou as it's consistently reviewed as one of the best shows on the seas! And yes, phone in airplane mode for sure!!!

Thanks for the feedback on the internet speed... will have to decide whether to unplug or stay in touch! I will definitely check out on the Bayou as it's consistently reviewed as one of the best shows on the seas! And yes, phone in airplane mode for sure!!!

Internet is really sloooooooooow.

Just hunt out free wifi in Port if you really must connect.

Princess newbie here...what is a blue card? (I'm guessing it is related to something other than health insurance?)

Your cruise card is colored.

Blue

Ruby

Gold

Platinum

Black (Elite)

Depending on the number if cruises, cruise days you have sailed with Princess.

Blue is a newbie. First cruise.

On almost every cruise in the last few years on Princess we have had no problem with the internet speed. I use either my own laptop, an iPad or iPhone and use Outlook or the mail app on my phone and iPad to compose any e-mails off line before connecting. I typically am able to upload and download e-mails in 3-5 minutes. About the only other use is checking and or posting on some CC threads. I also use free WiFi opportunities in ports. I have typically not used more than 20 minutes a day signing on several times a day. The only time I had a major problem is one cruise before smart phones and tablets when I forgot my laptop. What a disaster [emoji33] It took me almost 30 minutes just to log in and check my e-mail. The Internet is not speedy but unless you are a bandwidth hog it should be sufficient.

Your cruise card is colored.

Blue

Ruby

Gold

Platinum

Black (Elite)

Depending on the number if cruises, cruise days you have sailed with Princess.

Blue is a newbie. First cruise.

One other thing: minors get blue cards until they turn 18 no matter how often they have cruise. Makes my grandsons mad. :D

Some information:

Remember to turn the cell phone to airplane mode so you don't get charged for incoming data.

THANK you so much for the airplane mode reminder! I just put it on my phone calendar, so it will remind me in 75 days to do that! :D DH & I are looking forward to using the new princess app, just to inform each other of things like..."come help me find the cabin, cuz after my massage, I'm lost".... :p

One other thing: minors get blue cards until they turn 18 no matter how often they have cruise. Makes my grandsons mad. :D

Forgot omention that.

A collegues kids will be Elite (about 10 times over) before they're 18.