Child Proofing Hallway Door

fdwt994

Couple idea's of what we did when our dd's were younger and one is a sleepwalker. Open the last closet door so it is infront of the hallway door then put the table in front of that door. It wont block the bathroom door.

Also buy some magnets and hot glue some bells hanging down from them put them on the door and if it opens at all the bells go off. I think this would be better than an alarm that would disturb other passengers.

If I remember correctly, the deadbolts only prevent people from getting in, not from getting out. If you lock the deadbolt, it unlocks when you turn the handle.

(Just something to consider before relying on the dead bolt)

You are correct. That was the first thing I thought of.

If I remember correctly, the deadbolts only prevent people from getting in, not from getting out. If you lock the deadbolt, it unlocks when you turn the handle.

(Just something to consider before relying on the dead bolt)

Agree with this too. My 2 yr old thought it was a great game to jump off the bed as fast as he could and pull the handle, which automatically unlocked the deadbolt, and dash down the hall while DH or me would run after him.

I like the idea of opening the last closet door to block the door. Or how about putting suitcases in front of the door too.

If I recall correctly, the doors have an additional security measure at the top of the door that you swing over and it will prevent the door from opening very far. I'm not sure if it opens wide enough for a toddler to squeeze through....

GT

My Wife was inquiring about that. Can anyone confirm? Pictures? If that's the case, then we're golden.

My girls are taught right from wrong, and they're also taught not to pee their pants but sometimes they do so anyway. They're three and I'm not taking any chances. "Telling them" is not enough when the stakes are so high.

Thanks for the continued ideas guys!

Edited by fdwt994

If your kids can't be trusted to follow the rules and not leave during the night, perhaps they need adult supervision? I understand it's your vacation and grownup time is nice, but your kids' safety comes first. I wouldn't put 3 year olds in a room by themselves...

If your kids can't be trusted to follow the rules and not leave during the night, perhaps they need adult supervision? I understand it's your vacation and grownup time is nice, but your kids' safety comes first. I wouldn't put 3 year olds in a room by themselves...

3 year olds are capable of staying in a room that is connected with their parents via an inside door. I'm sure they have their own room at home.

I for one am glad to see some parents concerned with the safety of their children and ask for others' advice. Contrast that with a lot of so called parents that let their kids run wild without care for the duration of the cruise.

I'm sure the OP will make the best decision at the time of sailing. As a last resort each parent could sleep with a child.

If I recall correctly, the doors have an additional security measure at the top of the door that you swing over and it will prevent the door from opening very far. I'm not sure if it opens wide enough for a toddler to squeeze through....

GT

My Wife was inquiring about that. Can anyone confirm? Pictures? If that's the case, then we're golden.

My girls are taught right from wrong, and they're also taught not to pee their pants but sometimes they do so anyway. They're three and I'm not taking any chances. "Telling them" is not enough when the stakes are so high.

Thanks for the continued ideas guys!

I have not seen those swing locks on cruise cabin doors, only on hotel doors.

I didn't ask for parenting advice. We're doing quite well thank you. If you read the original post you'll see that I said they are connecting staterooms and that the interior doors would be left open. They're also OV rooms so we don't have to worry about balconies with the little ones.

Again, to those that have generously answered my question, thank you for the continued ideas.

On the Navigator of the seas in June they did in fact have the bar at the top of the door that would be perfect. We used it while showering to insure the steward wouldn't ever when we showered, etc. I can't say for sure on Carnival because we are booked on our first in September. I would think there would be one.

Kids are amazing. I know I teach them everyday..you can't just say don't touch that and expect nothing to happen. Kids are curious, it's how they learn. I'm sure the dad down in south Florida didn't expect his kiddo to get out of the house and ride his Powerwheels toy down a busy highway. But the child did. Thankfully he was safe. I think OP is awesome trying to make sure their child is safe.

I know I saw a magnet type set at one of those chain drug stores, if the magnetic seal is broken by the door being opened it will go off, it's not horrible loud but it would wake you. But hey if it did go off you'd get to it fast and turn it off. Also it has a switch you could turn off and on.

Pack a door stop - like the little rubber ones you can get at a home improvement store. With the door shut, wedge it underneath the door (you should be able to wedge it under the door pretty tight to where it would be difficult for a child to pull out) from the inside of the room. If you pull on the handle, you shouldn't be able to open the door. There may also be way to wedge it in the hinge of the door. :)

The best idea that comes to my mind is the combination of bells attached to the door handle combined with the use of a "baby monitor" that could be kept by the side of your bed. If you're a light sleeper, I believe that you'd hear the bells via the monitor, if not directly through the open connecting door.

I agree. They would be in the same room as me, sleeping on the couch bed. If you are worried about child proofing, then they are too young.

Trying not to hijack post...but the dead bolt unlocks when you turn the door handle right?! I always lock my door, and I am also a sleep walker...never been a problem on my cruises until last year......I found myself standing in my birthday suit :eek: in the door way to cabin, looking unto hall. Fortunately I woke up, before I ventured out or anyone saw me...could have been embarrassing to say the least. I started putting the chair in front of door.

Edited by uncleg

Beside some kind of alarm/bells as suggested by others my suggestion would be never to use that door. Maybe one of you can go to the cabins without the kids and get everything done before the kids arrival. That way they might never think about that door being an exit to the hallway. If they see that the door is being blocked (eg. back closet door, table) that might it self wake their curiosity.

Have a great cruise :)

I agree. They would be in the same room as me, sleeping on the couch bed. If you are worried about child proofing, then they are too young.

They are just thinking ahead. If they were all in the same cabin, they could still get out. It's better to put safety devices in place for anything potential. Nothing wrong with connecting cabins.

We took the oval table that is in the room and scooted it in front of the hallway door and bathroom door when our son was 2 1/2. It worked great.

Hello,

Before the Forum Police school me, I did search the forums but only found a couple of ideas...

My family and I are travelling with connecting OV staterooms. The plan is to put the kids in one room, my Wife and I in the other. Our concern is how to child proof the stateroom hallway door in order to prevent adventurous 3-year old twins from opening it in the middle of the night. We'll keep the connecting doors open but I still want to be able to prevent the kids from opening the stateroom door. I know the doors are heavy, but you would not believe what these girls are capable of!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice how to child-proof the door with mechanical devices, etc, I'm all ears.

Also, any other thoughts about child proofing the stateroom would be appreciated.

Thank you!