ny hotel advice please

dettlja

Hi everyone!

Im sailing on the Vista 11/16. My 40th birthday is 11/15. Planning on flying in 11/14 so only have one day really to sight see.

We dont have flights yet and dont know anything about the different airports, so would appreciate airport advice too.

Vista sails port of manhattan, so cost to get to port is a consideration.

We would like to visit central park, ground zero and eat NY Pizza. Other than that, no real sight seeing goals. Just happy to see the city in general. Weather will probably be a consideration in November, but we are both fit and ok to walk several miles a day.

Hotel suggestions? Budget is < $400 a night. Prefer to pay a bit more for a nice place vs. saving money and staying in a rat hole. Had a suggestion for hotelfive44 but they have a 3 might minimum.

Looking at LMTclub Hudson, Central park is about $300 night and seems like a good location. We can take the redline to ground zero?

Thanks for the advice!!

Jaimee

Many NYers find the term "ground zero" offensive; please call it the 9?11 Memorial and Museum.

In NYC, subways are referred to by number or letter, not by color.

Do you plan to travel from the airport to your hotel by taxi/car service or public transportation?

From JFK, a txi is a set fare of $52.80; with tolls & tip, figure on ~$70.

You can take the AirTrain ($5) to the subway ($2.75).

From LGA, taxi would be on the meter; guesstimate $35.

You can take the Q70 bus to 74/Jackson and transfer to the subway ($2.75 total).

From EWR, I think you need a car service rather than a taxi.

There's also public transportation, but I don't know the details.

I'd pick whichever airport had the cheapest non-stop flights.

I'd look at LGA or EWR for airports first, but you need to take into account total cost of getting to your hotel and to and from the cruise terminal. If it's $100 cheaper to Newark, but costs $100 more to get to the hotel (which is possible), then it's a wash. JFK is a longer trip, but you have to look at it as well.

You don't have to stay near Central Park to see Central Park. You're far enough out to look for cancellable rates at hotels, and watch for last minute drops. I've found that the various chains will sometimes drop their rates unexpectedly (we went from about $1200 for 4 nights over Christmas to $850 over a three month period), so you just have to watch. I know nothing about that hotel, but it's a decent location. Are you eligible for any special rates (AAA, etc.)? You're talking mid-week, which are typically higher hotel rates, but it's also kind of a shoulder time. The Marquis Marriott, in Times Square, will average just over $400/night before taxes with a AAA discount for those dates. You may do better looking in Midtown East, and you may do better looking at the "second tier" chain hotels (Courtyard, Residence Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.).

Yes, you can take the Subway to the WTC site. No one in NYC refers to the trains by color; they're number and letters. You really have to check the MTA web page or download an app, as the 1, 2, and 3 lines run on that route, but not all of them stop at each station, and I believe there's an express as well as a local. MTA isn't difficult to ride, but it does have its quirks.

It's a great city to visit. A day is awful short, but enjoy what you have!

Thanks for the tips. Especially about proper protocal for 9/11 memorial and naming the public transportation. Youve certainly saved me from a major faux pas.

Wish we had more time to spend in NY but the repo cruise is 11 days and quite expensive, so we are limited on time and funds.

If no regard to sight seeing is it generally cheaper to fly and stay in Newark and then find a way to the port the morning of the cruise?

We do qualify for AARP, and Im a state govt employee (but wont be on govt travel obviously). We will be flying from phx. Return flight is from MIA so either doing an open jaw or 2 one way tickets.

I appreciate your help! Ive sailed many times from Miami but never New York and its very intimidating.

Jaimee

I don't find the term Ground Zero offensive. My dh was a first responder and we lost many friends. I'm very grateful that people want to come and pay respect instead of pretending it didn't happen. Thank you for wanting to pay respect

Central Park is worth it in autumn if you get a room overlooking the park. I doubt for <300 you will. Look on Google maps to see where the subway stop is in relation to the hotel you choose. You want to be close enough. If it's a weekend a hotel close to the 9/11 memorial which is in financial district is cheaper and they are gorgeous hotels. Then you can catch subway from there up to Central Park.

I agree NJ is much cheaper, but I always stay midtown, Hilton is nice, we stay at the Michelangelo which is more expensive . Loads of things in walking distance of midtown, world trade center museum is great , only problem is you are limited in time this is about 30 mins south of midtown by subway or taxi or Uber, pre buy tour of World trade center if you want to go there, also now can go up to the top which just opened 6 months ago.

If there are only 2 of you, bidding for a hotel on Priceline is an option. Read betterbidding and/or biddingfortravel to learn how if you haven't done it before.

This would be my budget suggestion if you fly into Newark.

Book two nights at the Robert Treat in downtown Newark. Free airport shuttle, free breakfast, and free wifi. Close to Newark Penn Station - free hotel shuttle or cheap cab ride. NJ transit train from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station is $5.50/pp. PATH from Newark Penn Station to World Trade Center is $2.75. It's possible to do a "big circle" trip through Midtown and downtown Manhattan. $120/ night tax included prepaid and $150/night tax included cancellable.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

To get to the port you would take the hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station, NJ Transit to New York Penn Station ($11 for 2 people) and a cab to the port (about $15).

I have stayed at this hotel precruise for Cape Liberty and would definitely stay there again. Comfortable beds. Elegant older hotel property on a quiet street facing a park. All the expected amenities. It is in downtown Newark, so wandering around on foot on the streets after dark is not suggested.

Edited by 138east

OP, I strongly suggest checking out your flight options ASAP - especially nonstops & prices ... done a quick lookup on my Kayak Pro (mobile) with early AM departure landing after 2 PM on non-stops, not leaving much time after getting to the hotel / dropoff bags - would be pretty much dinner time (1 stop flights would be longer). Redeyes that leave on 11/13 with a stopover or COA would get you in earlier & priced lower with 2 travelers - looking at EWR only.

Book the hotel that's 100% refundable if the price is right now/soon and keep looking on Priceline, Hotwires & other discount booking engines.

Weather for NY area in early/mid November is typically not a major challenge, dress in layers & check the forecast ahead. EWR is known for airport delays so try to stick with major legacy carriers, AA/DL/UA as in case of MX or WX, they tend to do better rebooking & rerouting and/or endorsing/cross-honoring each other's tickets in getting you here on the same day.

This is the link to the official NYC MTA Trip Planner - you can use it to plan trips to/from the airport, have the addresses handy for more precise directions, time & date specific (and, it will alert you to known schedule changes & track/repairs/maintenance, etc. ) http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx

This is the link to the mobile Trip Planner/download URL - iOS & Android friendly http://tripplanner.mta.info/mytrip/common/tripPlannerPDA.aspx

For example, input "Newark Penn Station" and destination "Central Park" - 59th Street, and it will show you 3 options on a weekday, the cheapest at $5.50 p/p in about 52 minutes, etc.

To get around NYC - free transfers between subways & buses - you will need a MetroCard, up to 4 people can share a single card with stored values on it. http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcCombinationValue.htm

The other area to consider is Long Island City in Queens, just 1 stop across the Ed Koch / 59th Street Bridge on the East River, between Manhattan & Queens, home to LGA Airport - with about 15 boutique hotels in the area around elevated station platform at Queensborough Plaza. Hotwire showing for 2 nights, a 3 stars boutique hotel for about $105 nightly + taxes or the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson (94% approval ratings) for $125 night + taxes (1.5 city block from the subway station & VG reviews on Tripadvisors)

If you stay airfares & schedule that work for you and stay in LIC, Central Park is a quick 3 subway stops away on the N or Q train - and easy to get to Ground Zero or other popular tourist spots all over town. From the hotel to MCT for your Carnival ship, car service by Dial7 or Carmel would be under $30 with tipping, or maybe list - being a weekday disembarkation, avoid using yellow taxi with metered rates as commuter traffic going across town can be a horror show even at 10:30 AM with or w/o FTTF.

We cruised last November from Brooklyn, flew into LGA, took a short cab ride to our hotel in Long Island City, checked in , then had a short walk and a 3stop subway ride near to Times Square where we could buy discounted theatre tickets at TKTS for a Broadway show that night. Due to having more luggage for a cruise we used a car service recommended by the hotel ( same price as a cab)to get to the cruise terminal with our bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jaimee, if you have not done so already come over to the Roll Call for the 11/16 Vista, we have over 400 members and lots of information on places to stay and how to get around. DH and I live in Mesa, there is another cruiser who lives in Chandler, so it looks like AZ will be represented! Vicky