What clothes to pack for a mid-August cruise?

PalmettoTraveler

With end of season sales going on now, I thought it would be smart to keep an eye out for clothes I may need for our August cruise. Is it going to be terribly cold? I hear it will be high 60s but in the low 50s. For past Alaska cruisers, what do people typically wear? Also, what footwear is suggested? I love wearing fashionable boots (maybe for sea days), but do people really wear those on the ships? I don't know what footwear to bring along for kayaking...

And any tips on the type of coat I should buy? If I get to do the dogsledding tour, I need something WARM.

Now, keep in mind I'll be coming from a state where it will be around 100 degrees with 100% humidity, so I'll be in for a huge temperature shock.

There is no difference in packing for August as opposed to any other month. The key is to wear layers .... tshirt, then sweatshirt/sweater, topped by a hooded waterproof jacket.

And bring a small backpack; if the day warms up you've got someplace to put your jacket or if the day gets ugly you have a jacket or sweater in the pack.

Add a pair of shorts/capris in case you're lucky enough to have warm weather.

Check with your vendor about appropriate footwear .... often times it's provided for specialized activities

There are a lot of packing lists that are comprehensive. Overall you need the same attire no matter when you go during the cruise season. Good walking shoes that are water resistant are ideal. A lightweight lined jacket, sweatshirt, hat and gloves are essential. It can be a lot colder than what you list, at glaciers. Layers are essential. Fashion and Alaska aren't on my list. :)

I just do not do well with cold weather. I think 60 is cold, so that's why I'm getting nervous on what to bring. My mom and I tend to dress cute, so I thought that wouldn't hurt on sea days (plus we need to take lots of pictures because we hardly take pictures of us as it is).

When walking around town, that will be a different story. I don't even have a winter coat because our temps don't get to the point we need one. But I thought about going to a sporting goods store and trying some on and then buying it on eBay ;)

I just do not do well with cold weather. I think 60 is cold, so that's why I'm getting nervous on what to bring. My mom and I tend to dress cute, so I thought that wouldn't hurt on sea days (plus we need to take lots of pictures because we hardly take pictures of us as it is).

When walking around town, that will be a different story. I don't even have a winter coat because our temps don't get to the point we need one. But I thought about going to a sporting goods store and trying some on and then buying it on eBay ;)

Some "winter" coats are bulky and really not a good option for packing. Layers can work better with a fleece type jacket. heavier socks, keeping feet warm are essential. Cold feet, cold everything else. :( I will also suggest a scarf for you with it adding more warmth, with any wind.

With end of season sales going on now, I thought it would be smart to keep an eye out for clothes I may need for our August cruise. Is it going to be terribly cold? I hear it will be high 60s but in the low 50s. For past Alaska cruisers, what do people typically wear? Also, what footwear is suggested? I love wearing fashionable boots (maybe for sea days), but do people really wear those on the ships? I don't know what footwear to bring along for kayaking...

And any tips on the type of coat I should buy? If I get to do the dogsledding tour, I need something WARM.

Now, keep in mind I'll be coming from a state where it will be around 100 degrees with 100% humidity, so I'll be in for a huge temperature shock.

I don't remember how cold it was in Juneau when were there in June, but it was cold enough to dress like this:

7376373662_093fa5e9c5.jpgDSCF8195 by Amy S, on Flickr

bring layers

tank or t-shirt

long sleeve t-shirt

sweatshirt

fleece

coat

tights under pants

or some similar combination

I don't remember how cold it was in Juneau when were there in June, but it was cold enough to dress like this:

7376373662_093fa5e9c5.jpgDSCF8195 by Amy S, on Flickr

bring layers

tank or t-shirt

long sleeve t-shirt

sweatshirt

fleece

coat

tights under pants

or some similar combination

What a cutie!!!

I will say that when I went to Hawaii, I brought a huge parka for when I went to Haleakala National Park. It was freezing at the peak. To store it in the suitcase, I stored it in those space saver bags. I wouldn't be too concerned about bringing a big coat if it wasn't for going on the dogsledding tour.

What a cutie!!!

I will say that when I went to Hawaii, I brought a huge parka for when I went to Haleakala National Park. It was freezing at the peak. To store it in the suitcase, I stored it in those space saver bags. I wouldn't be too concerned about bringing a big coat if it wasn't for going on the dogsledding tour.

As others have said, you don't need a huge parka. (I too loathe the cold, and ironically I live in a very cold climate). Again, as others have said, you want layers. And you want at least one pair (preferably two)of good wool blend socks. And gloves. And some sort of head cover (I just use the hood of my rain jacket). And a small comfortable day pack to carry the clothes you remove as the day goes on.

For me this is a typical outfit when I'm in Alaska. Long sleeved t-shirt, cashmere t-shirt type sweater, a fleece top, my waterproof hooded rain jacket. Or a long-sleeved t-shirt, my Patagonia down "sweater" and my rain jacket.

For pants I'm often in jeans (though many people advise against jeans because they are heavy, and take a long time to dry if they get wet). Or I will wear REI or Columbia type nylon pants with a pair of silk long johns.

You don't have to look like the Michelin Man to stay warm. You just need to think about the various layers. Layers are much more functional, as you can remove and add throughout the day as the weather dictates.

Don't take a down-filled (or poly-filled) jacket as your top layer, they get WAY to heavy and gross and wet if you get rained on. And will take a very long time to dry.

As others have said, you don't need a huge parka. (I too loathe the cold, and ironically I live in a very cold climate). Again, as others have said, you want layers. And you want at least one pair (preferably two)of good wool blend socks. And gloves. And some sort of head cover (I just use the hood of my rain jacket). And a small comfortable day pack to carry the clothes you remove as the day goes on.

For me this is a typical outfit when I'm in Alaska. Long sleeved t-shirt, cashmere t-shirt type sweater, a fleece top, my waterproof hooded rain jacket. Or a long-sleeved t-shirt, my Patagonia down "sweater" and my rain jacket.

For pants I'm often in jeans (though many people advise against jeans because they are heavy, and take a long time to dry if they get wet). Or I will wear REI or Columbia type nylon pants with a pair of silk long johns.

You don't have to look like the Michelin Man to stay warm. You just need to think about the various layers. Layers are much more functional, as you can remove and add throughout the day as the weather dictates.

Don't take a down-filled (or poly-filled) jacket as your top layer, they get WAY to heavy and gross and wet if you get rained on. And will take a very long time to dry.

Ok, but how cold is it going to be on top of the glacier while dogsledding?

Ok, but how cold is it going to be on top of the glacier while dogsledding?

as I suggested earlier, look thru some trip reports to see what people are wearing.

On a warm sunny day, heli-dog sledding out of Seward this family said thermals were enough.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070945&page=2

On a cold foggy day dog sledding out of Juneau, this family looks pretty bundled up. Go to reply #5 for photos: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43436631#post43436631

Last February we were on an Antarctic cruise. The temperatures on that cruise were colder than an Alaskan cruise. One fellow passenger from Texas, who is very well traveled but hadn't traveled in cooler/cold climates, had no problem dressing for that Antarctic cruise by layering. She didn't have to purchase any new clothing items. Her one new purchase for that cruise was to buy a really nice pair of binoculars.

In late August and September, the ships have outstanding sales (80% off) on coats, sweatshirts and any other cold weather clothes. Also in each city, cold weather clothes can be bought at very reasonable prices, probably cheaper than any store in your area.

• 4 weeks later...

we are going to Alaska this Aug. doing a land and sea. My friend and co-worker said a rain coat that is light weight, with a fleece vest under it is what she wore all the time and the rain coat she mostly had tied to her waist. SHE told me this morning that she wished she had a "puffer, packable jacket" with her for the Glacier day as she was cold. I just found several on line to choose from and they fold up into a pouch so it does not take up much room. got the coat from Macy's and it is reversible so 2 coats in one, LOL. The fleece vest I got from Amazon.

I did order weatherproof, Merrel hiking shoes and wearing them now to break them in, from Amazon along with good socks to keep my feet warm.

I am also searching this site for other ideas, have a great trip.

When we went to Norway, we packed what we will take to Alaska. Waterproof jackets with fleece removeable liners. Took along a sweatshirt too, but never needed it. Long sleeve tees or light weight thermal shirt was enough. Only needed light gloves and hood when we went way up to the North Cape. Actually we ended up in shirt sleeves at many ports. Think 55-60 degrees. You have those temps.

Don't worry about looking "cute". North Face does the trick with cold weather styles.

Edited by eandj

Oh, wow-- it reallyreally does depend on an individual's tolerance to cold. At 50-60 degrees I'm in winter clothing-- turtle neck, sweater and down jacket over it (though I agree with not using down as last layer in wet conditions). Alaska is the one place that I don't worry too much about trying to pack light. Being cold makes me frantic.

On our first Alaskan cruise I did a lot of research on what to pack. The previous posts are correct that layers are the way to go. No bulky coat required. I wear a waterproof hooded coat that has a fleece lining that isn't snug; you need room for the layers. I got it at JCPennys, of all places; best coat I've ever owned. Under the coat I wear a long or short-sleeved t-shirt with a sweater or sweatshirt over that. In my backpack I bring a scarf, hat, gloves, extra pair of good wool socks (I recommend Smartwool). And I usually wear jeans.

Now, here's the thing I didn't bring on that first Alaskan cruise but, I always bring them with me now...thermal long johns. They kinda look like leggings. I've seen them made from silk or other high tech moisture wicking, body heat conserving fabric. Google it and you'll find all types in all price ranges.

I thought jeans would be more than adequate for keeping my legs warm...not even close. My legs were sooooo cold! My upper body was all nice and toasty warm. Don't forget your legs when you pack for Alaska.

And, what surprised me the most was where/when I was most cold: scenic glacier cruising. It was so freakin' cold out on deck as the ship slowly cruised through Glacier Bay.