Alaska Roll Calls are QUIET

kato92

We are heading on the August 29 Alaska trip on the Sun. There has been only 1 other couple on the roll call forum. There is no other roll call set up. WHy so quiet.

I checked other Alaska roll calls and they are equally quiet.

Is there a reason that these roll calls are not as popular as others. I have never seen one this quiet on any line.

Edited by kato92
wrong date

Alaska (deservedly) gets a lot of repeat business.

Seems to me that the more unusual an itinerary is, the busier the roll call.

We're doing a generic 1-week Getaway Caribbean next month, and Dubai-Singapore in November.

Right now they each have about 150 posts.

My June 20th Alaska roll call is virtually silent. I hadn't thought about the repeat cruisers there. This will be our 3rd trip to AK. Was thinking that maybe the ship wasn't getting booked up yet, and that many hadn't thought about summer vacation until after they plan Spring Break.

We booked for June of 2017 so I guess I shouldn't start a roll call :D Do you think the other social media site has a roll call for your sailings? I know it can't be promoted here but I think a lot of people use it as it is easier. I appreciate the roll calls as it gives us the opportunity to share things before actually sailing. We are 53 and 63 and I (the 53 yr old) use this technology daily. However, my husband (63 yr old) doesn't so perhaps the average age of those on the Alaska cruise is higher and they don't rely on the roll calls. Regardless, you will all have awesome cruises and make some wonderful memories!!

We are heading on the August 29 Alaska trip on the Sun. There has been only 1 other couple on the roll call forum. There is no other roll call set up. WHy so quiet.

I checked other Alaska roll calls and they are equally quiet.

Is there a reason that these roll calls are not as popular as others. I have never seen one this quiet on any line.

Don't get discouraged yet. My May 2015 Alaska cruise (10 day round trip out of Vancouver) started very slowly. The first posting was in January of 2014, but by February of 2015 we had all of about 30 posts, and the original poster had cancelled and dropped out. I will admit that I was kind of bummed by the results because I always value the CC experience as being an important part of the trip for me. Maybe it's because I'm a solo cruiser and I like to make a few friends before we sail. I decided that I would take it upon myself to start responding to every post. Every day I'd come home from work and log in to see if anyone had appeared and slow but sure the lurkers started to trickle in. We started to have 4 or 5 of us chatting back and forth and I guess it encouraged other cruisers to join in. No one else seemed to want to run a Meet and Mingle, even though I kept hinting at somebody to run it, so I eventually bit the bullet and did it myself. I had become a rabble rouser!:rolleyes: By the time we sailed in May we had 32 pages comprising over 600 posts, had a cabin crawl, 2 dinners, a Sail Away party, and a Meet and Greet that drew over 70. It just took few people, chatting regularly to get the ball rolling and then it seemed to take care of itself. So like I said don't give up, it's really worth the effort and I never had a better cruise!:D