Internet fees? And drinking in room?

Smbruner

We will be on the Midnatsol January 29 for the 11 day Norway Coastal and I'm wondering about internet fees onboard. Anyone know?

Also, we are in a suite and I saw from pictures that we have glasses for drinks as well as a refrigerator in our room. So, wouldn't we be able to have cocktails or wine in our room? I understand there is no room service. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or not.

Thank you for any information. Getting quite excited.

There is free wifi available in the public spaces (lounges, bar...) on all ships. Depending on the ship and the time of day it can be slow but it is usually adequate for regular use (check email, look at online newspaper or weather forecast or social media). On board MS Lofoten, MS Polarlys and MS Nordlys it was good enough for me to upload my travelblog daily. No fees for that.

I don't know about room service in suites but you can drink in your cabin all you want. You can bring your own bottles on board as long as you don't drink them in the public spaces (and in the restaurant of course). I have traveled in regular cabins (not suite) and I have always brought a bottle to drink before dinner.

We have traveled in a suite on the Midnatsol and Trollfjord. On our last trip we could access wifi from our suite.(It is free on the ship). Wine glasses were supplied in the room. We bought wine before we boarded at the Vinmonopolet in Bergen. There are stores all over Norway; it is the only place to purchase alcohol on Norway. (Vinmonopolet.no) Enjoy your voyage....I have been on the ships in all seasons, except winter.....it's on my bucket list!

A bottle, before dinner???

:-)

I knew there was no way I could get out of this sentence with my dignity intact! :p

Is there an English equivalent for the pre-meal ceremony we call "aperitif" in France? (which usually involves a bottle, several friends with glasses, and -optional- peanuts).

I knew there was no way I could get out of this sentence with my dignity intact! :p

Is there an English equivalent for the pre-meal ceremony we call "aperitif" in France? (which usually involves a bottle, several friends with glasses, and -optional- peanuts).

Another reason I like French! One word says everything...we might say:

"Come for cocktails" or "Come for a drink" or with my grandchildren,"Do you want snacks?

"Cocktails" would be more formal than"Drinks".......my opinion only. Anyone else?

SL: I think the smile came from your unintended suggestion that you drank the whole bottle before dinner :) And we couldn't let it go by... just between cyber friends!

To Smbruner: On Midnatsol we had excellent WiFi in our room, no charge. We were mid-ship deck 4, near front service desk. As SL indicated, enjoy your own alcohol in your room but it is not allowed elsewhere on the ship (you will see several signs around the vessel). Otherwise drinks are available for purchase from the bar, wine in the dining room, not sure about mixed drinks in the dining room.

Have a fun voyage! m--

SL: I think the smile came from your unintended suggestion that you drank the whole bottle before dinner :) And we couldn't let it go by... just between cyber friends!

Yes I got that! ;) I started to write the sentence saying that I would bring a bottle on for "apéritif" in the cabin but then didn't know if there was any English for "apéritif"; and then I turned the sentence around several times but I knew it would came out bad (for my reputation).

Anyway, it is possible to drink in the cabin (even a whole bottle if you want, but maybe stay in the cabin afterwards for a bit :p).

So, this is the info sent to me about alcohol on board. I had planned on picking up a bottle of baileys for my room. But after reading this I'm wondering if I can.

Alcohol policy

Due to strict laws surrounding alcohol in Norway, and for the safety of our guests, alcohol that has not been purchased on board may not be consumed in any public area of the ship or in your cabin. Guests may bring up to two unopened bottles (maximum 50 fl. oz. each) per person onboard, but guests will be required to check these at the reception desk, and they will be returned to guests at the end of their voyage.

Also the document states there IS a small fee for Internet. Any comments on this????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this is what the brochure says, but my experience is as stated above. The bags are not inspected at check-in (at least they were not until last Feb) and there was never an issue with bringing alcohol on board. Bring your bottle in your suitcase. Worst case scenario, they do scan the luggage, and you will be asked to check it in for the duration of the trip. Honestly, I don't think it will happen.

As for internet, maybe there is a fee to use the few computers with public access. But I had reliable free wifi on board MS Polarlys, MS Vesteraalen, MS Nordlys, and recently even aboard MS Lofoten.

Digitl : ah, that was actually easy! And it means the same? A friendly drink before meal?

Edited by SarniaLo

Maybe there is a difference re: wifi and bringing alcohol on board between the Explorer Voyages (Antartica, etc.) and the Coastal Voyages. We always had free wifi on the Coastal trips and no problem bringing wine on board (for consuming in the room). Anyone had recent experiences with this?

Maybe there is a difference re: wifi and bringing alcohol on board between the Explorer Voyages (Antartica, etc.) and the Coastal Voyages. We always had free wifi on the Coastal trips and no problem bringing wine on board (for consuming in the room). Anyone had recent experiences with this?

Or perhaps it's a difference between a long voyage or a shorter one, just like the meals are included on long voyages...but not on the shorter ones. I think I'll send an email and see what the company says..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wi-fi has been free on the coastal ships we have travelled on and chargeable on Fram. We have never bothered to take our own alcohol on board on any of the ships so can't help on that.

Perhaps the difference is between what the brochure says and what happens in Real Life? I do know that coffee mugs don't always contain coffee...

Perhaps the difference is between what the brochure says and what happens in Real Life?

I firmly believe this is what it comes down to, and there is probably no need to overthink this. I had no problem with bringing a bottle on board MS Fram either (most recent trip in 2013).

Yes. It's surprising how many English words the French appropriate!

:p

Free Wifi in both the public areas and cabins on the Trollfjord, but this was on a round trip coastal voyage last May. I purchased sodas ashore in several ports, and no one ever asked to look inside my bags, nor were my bags scanned. I could have been bringing in alcohol for all they knew. By the way, I was always able to get a glass of ice for free from the bar...

We will be on the Midnatsol January 29 for the 11 day Norway Coastal and I'm wondering about internet fees onboard. Anyone know?

Also, we are in a suite and I saw from pictures that we have glasses for drinks as well as a refrigerator in our room. So, wouldn't we be able to have cocktails or wine in our room? I understand there is no room service. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or not.

Thank you for any information. Getting quite excited.

Hi,

Just spotted info below on Hurtigruten UK website. looks like paid internet is being introduced, is it already current on ships referred to? I've never paid for internet access since 2005 on Trollfjord, Midnatsol, Lofoten or Kong Harald (& others).

"Improved Wi-Fi in 2016

Published 17/11/2015

Hurtigruten are trialing a new Wi-Fi system on board three ships from now until the end of December 2015. This is giving us the possibility to see if we can implement a brand new and improved Wi-Fi system across the fleet in 2016.

The three ships that are being trialled are MS Midnatsol, MS Trollfjord and MS Finnmarken and the prices are as follows:

There are two types of internet:

Standard (1Mbit speed for use in social media, email simple surfing, not for streaming)

Premium access – 5 Mbit broadband with 4 hrs active use

One day standard internet - 50 NOK

Three day standard internet - 125 NOK

Five day standard internet - 200 NOK

11 day standard internet 400 NOK

Premium internet is also available for 250 NOK for 4 hours active use. It will be sold in reception."

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

We have traveled in a suite on the Midnatsol and Trollfjord. On our last trip we could access wifi from our suite.(It is free on the ship). Wine glasses were supplied in the room. We bought wine before we boarded at the Vinmonopolet in Bergen. There are stores all over Norway; it is the only place to purchase alcohol on Norway. (Vinmonopolet.no) Enjoy your voyage....I have been on the ships in all seasons, except winter.....it's on my bucket list!

Janetcbl - since you have been in the suite on the Midnatsol perhaps you can answer another question for me. I knit and wanted to bring my knitting with me and wanted to know if there is adequate lighting in the room to knit. If not I can bring some kind of light with me. Thanks for letting me know. We leave Los Angeles a week from this Wednesday so I'm in a panic.

Susan

Smbruner, I am not a knitter, but I know I could read without extra light. We never sailed in winter, so that may make a difference. The suites are different in different categories; we had a sofa right next to the door to the balcony. Sorry I can't be of more help.