Puerto Chiapas

CJcruzer

while using the search function on ports, and old roll calls - I noticed a lot of regular HAL posters who had been on the Westerdam a year or so ago, discussing this port.

Anyone have any reviews/info/insight regarding Izapa (ruins), Tapalucha (nearby town) and the chocolate tasting - there are 3 different combinations involving at least one of each of these places.

Also, were there opportunities for local tours or taxis to hire - to go to any of these sites?

Any information is appreciated,

Carol

We were two of those on the Westerdam last Spring, stopping in Puerto Chiapas. We had signed up for the shore excursion to Izapa, but I was tired, so decided not to go. DH went and enjoyed the tour, but said it was extreeemely hot, so I was relieved that I didn't go. Later in the morning I went ashore on my own and wandered around the port - evidently there was dancing and music there early, and then again around 1, I think, but I decided to take the shuttle (just a few dollars) into Tapachula, I wandered around for a little while, and then took another shuttle back to the port. It was nice; a cute little town. One bus coming back from a tour held up departure as they got stuck in a demonstration, and the driver and guide had to negotiate the release of the bus so it could go through a road block.

Kazu did a Live From of the cruise, maybe you can find it. Live from the Sail Away Gang's Panama Canal Cruise, or something like that!:D

We were two of those on the Westerdam last Spring, stopping in Puerto Chiapas. We had signed up for the shore excursion to Izapa, but I was tired, so decided not to go. DH went and enjoyed the tour, but said it was extreeemely hot, so I was relieved that I didn't go. Later in the morning I went ashore on my own and wandered around the port - evidently there was dancing and music there early, and then again around 1, I think, but I decided to take the shuttle (just a few dollars) into Tapachula, I wandered around for a little while, and then took another shuttle back to the port. It was nice; a cute little town. One bus coming back from a tour held up departure as they got stuck in a demonstration, and the driver and guide had to negotiate the release of the bus so it could go through a road block.

Kazu did a Live From of the cruise, maybe you can find it. Live from the Sail Away Gang's Panama Canal Cruise, or something like that!:D

Thanks! Perhaps Kazu will read this and have some information' I will tey to search her live from....thread.

Carol

We loved the Argovia coffee and flower plantation tour with lunch and have done it now twice. Beautiful drive through tropical rain forest vegetation, bumpy road but serene resort. We still order their dense, flavorful coffee for our own home use - delicious and cheaper than premium coffee here, even with shipping charges. We would do it again if we ever get back there. http://almostfearless.com/a-little-eco-friendly-coffee-plantation-on-the-ruta-del-cafe/

Edited by OlsSalt

thank you all for responding, although the differences in opinions are making it tough to figure out this port!

Hopefully some more people will weigh in, but I do appreciate the time and effort to respond to my question.

Vict0riann: I emailed kazu, and she has responded with her thoughts. Thanks for the link to the page on the LIVE report.

Carol

CJ --

we were in Puerto Chiapas on Norwegian Star in November. It was unbearably hot... and yet I have favorable memories of the town (archeological museum), the ruins (they provided LARGE golf umbrellas, the better to avoid tourist collapse), and the pavillion near the port, where we missed the dancers but enjoyed the $1 beer and good prices on handcrafts!

We did the ship's tour so can't answer the rest of your questions.

I need to clarify why I posted what I did --- it was not coffee-processing season so we got a walk-through of an empty processing area, we got to the flower-processing area just as all the workers were ending their workday & were rushed through our lunch so we could visit the gift shop & reboard our busses in the pouring rain. It might have just been the time of the year we traveled but we weren't impressed with anything on the tour...sorry.

I need to clarify why I posted what I did --- it was not coffee-processing season so we got a walk-through of an empty processing area, we got to the flower-processing area just as all the workers were ending their workday & were rushed through our lunch so we could visit the gift shop & reboard our busses in the pouring rain. It might have just been the time of the year we traveled but we weren't impressed with anything on the tour...sorry.

Hey, why be sorry? You expressed your opinion. Nothing wrong with that.