Twenty three days on the Eclipse

BosoxI

We have just returned home after three back to backs on the Eclipse, two in Aqua and one in a corner Sky suite. We had a very nice time and in general have only nice things to say about our voyages. I'm not going to write a review, but I would like to make a few comments.

Aqua class is quickly becoming very pedestrian in that Blu's food could easily pass for that found in the MDR. Also, the restaurant was pretty noisy most nights which surprised us, and the service could be lacking, which disappointed us. We waited an hour and twenty five minutes one night to be served our main courses. A couple at a nearby table had the same experience. To his credit, Fernando, the maître d' hotel, did his best to make amends. We've cruised quite frequently in Aqua but it's losing it's appeal for me, though DW might disagree

The room stewards for all three of our cabins were excellent.

Luminae was very good, and the service was outstanding.

Many have voiced concerns that Michael's club would be crowded with the addition of Sky suite guests. Not so on the Eclipse, as it was virtually empty almost all the time.

I had previously written that on the Connie in November some menu items in Blu differed from what was actually presented. For those waiting to hear about osso buco, sorry, but if it was offered, we missed it.

The production shows were, for me at least, terrible. One was called Topper and involved people living in a giant top hat, The other was called Chandelier and had to do with guests in a hotel, I think. I confess, I tried to sleep through them, as my wife blocked my escape ;) The individual performers were better; they had to be.

But I stress, overall, they were three enjoyable cruises.

Sorry you think Blu is on the way down. I hope we find it better on Millennium in 9 weeks.

I loved your comments about Top Hat and Chandelier. We found both of them a bit of a hodgepodge. Couldn't figure out the story line of Chandelier at all

Thank you for your review, we are on the Eclipse later this year, glad Michael's Club and Luminae met your expectations!

Can I ask you honestly about the length of time on your cruise?....The longest we have ever cruised for is 18 nights....did you hit the point of being ready to get off?

I ask as we have a 14 night cruise 2017 which we could add another cruise onto but I am not sure if the fun and pleasure would continue for 28 days, especially as it is on am M class ship, which I do love, but it does have less dining options. At present we are looking at adding land based stops at both ends...

Thank you for your review, we are on the Eclipse later this year, glad Michael's Club and Luminae met your expectations!

Can I ask you honestly about the length of time on your cruise?....The longest we have ever cruised for is 18 nights....did you hit the point of being ready to get off?

I ask as we have a 14 night cruise 2017 which we could add another cruise onto but I am not sure if the fun and pleasure would continue for 28 days, especially as it is on am M class ship, which I do love, but it does have less dining options. At present we are looking at adding land based stops at both ends...

We did 22 nights on the Eclipse in November 2012 as a B2B and since then have done a mix of Eclipse plus either Silhouette or Reflection in February/ March each year. We have found that changing ship helps to break things up and at least have different waiters looking after you.

We try and do the Western Caribbean after the Eclipse cruise so that we have different ports, although all in all they are mainly the same ports as last year and the year before.

Our first half dozen cruises were in AQ all on the Eclipse and it was really weird being in Blu on the Silhouette and not recognising any of the staff. That took a few days to settle down in my mind.

We may look at changing cruise lines for the second leg in the future but have the Eclipse and Silhouette booked again for next year.

Thanks for your comments Gordoncruickshank,

The cruise we are presently booked on in 2017 is in Asia...no opportunity to swap X ships which I do think is a great idea! Could look at other cruise lines maybe for a shorter add on...we did cruise RCCL in the Far East a few years ago and enjoyed the diversity of culture with most other cruisers being Chineese.

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

We have just returned home after three back to backs on the Eclipse, two in Aqua and one in a corner Sky suite. We had a very nice time and in general have only nice things to say about our voyages. I'm not going to write a review, but I would like to make a few comments.

Aqua class is quickly becoming very pedestrian in that Blu's food could easily pass for that found in the MDR. Also, the restaurant was pretty noisy most nights which surprised us, and the service could be lacking, which disappointed us. We waited an hour and twenty five minutes one night to be served our main courses. A couple at a nearby table had the same experience. To his credit, Fernando, the maître d' hotel, did his best to make amends. We've cruised quite frequently in Aqua but it's losing it's appeal for me, though DW might disagree

Can I ask who the dining room manager or Maitre D' was for Blu on your cruises?

We had a similar experience two years ago and I decided to hope it was a one off with a bad manager. (One night my main course NEVER arrived - we gave up and left and no one even noticed or ever questioned us about it afterwards.)

Last year the wonderful Anita was the manager and everything was back to perfect.

We board the Eclipse Feb. 7 so I'm slightly nervous that we'll experience that unpleasant atmosphere again.

I was just thinking about it again and I think the difference in the two years was totally management. When it got busy Anita (somehow) got extra servers and extra people in the kitchen. (She told us the kitchen was the key). The other person the year before just rushed around looking frazzled.

Thanks!

Edited by chamima

Can I ask you honestly about the length of time on your cruise?....The longest we have ever cruised for is 18 nights....did you hit the point of being ready to get off?.

Maybe for a fleeting minute or two at the end of the second leg, but it quickly passed. DW and I enjoy our own company and don't have to depend on X or anyone else to entertain us. On the third leg I realizwed I really didn't care to end the trip, though I knew duty called at home.

Can I ask who the dining room manager or Maitre D' was for Blu on your cruises?

We had a similar experience two years ago and I decided to hope it was a one off with a bad manager. (One night my main course NEVER arrived - we gave up

As noted, he was Fernando and he did his best to ensure we were well cared for the rest of the way. We've walked out of Blu without having eaten anything but that was only once. There are excellent waiters in Blu on the Eclipse. We got stuck twice this trip but it never happened again.

Incidentally, we ate twice in Murano. The first time all was well, but the second time things were slower than usual which was really no problem. Unfortunately, that same night my venison turned out a bit tough, though it was perfectly cooked. Again, it wasn't terrible and I said nothing. These things happen.

Finally, I failed to mention Elegant Chic. It was a pleasant surprise to see most people nicely dressed. Of course, there were bound to be flannel shirts and Costco jeans on a few of the fashion plates. The grown men wearing hats in a dining room should be keel hauled for their lack of good manners, but that's the way things are in 2016

Maybe for a fleeting minute or two at the end of the second leg, but it quickly passed. DW and I enjoy our own company and don't have to depend on X or anyone else to entertain us. On the third leg I realizwed I really didn't care to end the trip, though I knew duty called at home.

As noted, he was Fernando and he did his best to ensure we were well cared for the rest of the way. We've walked out of Blu without having eaten anything but that was only once. There are excellent waiters in Blu on the Eclipse. We got stuck twice this trip but it never happened again.

Incidentally, we ate twice in Murano. The first time all was well, but the second time things were slower than usual which was really no problem. Unfortunately, that same night my venison turned out a bit tough, though it was perfectly cooked. Again, it wasn't terrible and I said nothing. These things happen.

Finally, I failed to mention Elegant Chic. It was a pleasant surprise to see most people nicely dressed. Of course, there were bound to be flannel shirts and Costco jeans on a few of the fashion plates. The grown men wearing hats in a dining room should be keel hauled for their lack of good manners, but that's the way things are in 2016

Thanks for responding.

Any chance you had Vinod as a waiter in Blu?

Also, just how out of place would my husband look in his tux? Should we just stick to a dark suit for this trip?

Thanks again.

Thanks for responding.

Also, just how out of place would my husband look in his tux? Should we just stick to a dark suit for this trip?

Thanks again.

No, we didn't have Vinod

I love my tux, but I confess I was glad I didn't take it this time. Nor will I any other time on Celebrity. A dark suit would not be commonplace. I took two sports coats and a blue blazer and never wore the one tie I had. Our British friend did bring his tux and wore it only three times, once with a bowtie, twice with an open collar. Few men had tuxes or dark suits. In fact the baggy jean crowd might have outnumbered them. Fortunately, the majority of passengers dressed neatly. We were an older crowd. A tux would be less out of place in a Pizza Hut

Edited by BosoxI

Did you have 3 'chic' nights then?

We used to have 3 'formal nights' for a 14nt sailing, but the explanation of 'chic' says only 2....

Thanks

No, there were two on each of the nine day cruises and one on the five day. We only saw our British friend on three of them in a tux; twice he wore a sports jacket as did most men, I think

Edited by BosoxI

Thanks for responding.

Thanks again.

Just got off the Eclipse on Sunday. Vinod was our server in Blu. He was very good, attentive, and we enjoyed chatting with him.

I did not see any tuxes on this cruise. My husband usually wears one, but for this shorter cruise, and since formal night has changed to chic, he just wore a dark suit.

Thanks again.

I suspect that as time goes on the only ones wearing formal attire will be those who don't know about the change. My inclination is that even a dark suit may be overkill, but that may down to the fact that I have a suit on days a week. If nothing else your husband would probably be in the smartest of those on board in a suit.

I would normally take my kilt etc on every cruise but I am going to save on the 10lbs plus that carrying that entails. Unfortunately I have already pre-booked and paid for the extra cases on our flights although I am sure my wife will make a valiant effort at filling them.

I took a couple of jackets last cruise and I may add another to compensate by i would often wear one of those on non formal evenings.

I suspect that as time goes on the only ones wearing formal attire will be those who don't know about the change. My inclination is that even a dark suit may be overkill, but that may down to the fact that I have a suit on days a week. If nothing else your husband would probably be in the smartest of those on board in a suit.

I would normally take my kilt etc on every cruise but I am going to save on the 10lbs plus that carrying that entails. Unfortunately I have already pre-booked and paid for the extra cases on our flights although I am sure my wife will make a valiant effort at filling them.

I took a couple of jackets last cruise and I may add another to compensate by i would often wear one of those on non formal evenings.

Although I tend to agree with you, I think it will come down to where the cruise is operating. My Wife and I are on the Eclipse in July for a 14 night Baltic Cruise from Southampton. Since there will be a lot more British on board in contrast to a Caribbean cruise, I think the take up of formal wear will be greater.

Thanks Gordon

I have to tell you that not seeing men in their kilts will be , to me, one of the saddest parts of this loss of formal nights! :(

It's something that just makes (made, I guess now) cruising so special.

I'm glad that I have the memory of one cruise (on Princess) where I knew there was a large group that had almost half the dining room. Didn't know anything about the group but on one formal night they stopped dinner service and they all marched in with bagpipes playing in the front and in the rear. All of men were in kilts.

It really is one of my most special memories (it was within the last 10 years so not so ancient)

Gives me chills even to think about it now.

Anyways, we sail Princess immediately after our Celebrity cruise so maybe there's still hope left. :)

Edited by chamima

Thanks Gordon

I have to tell you that not seeing men in their kilts will be , to me, one of the saddest parts of this loss of formal nights! :(

It's something that just makes (made, I guess now) cruising so special.

I'm glad that I have the memory of one cruise (on Princess) where I knew there was a large group that had almost half the dining room. Didn't know anything about the group but on one formal night they stopped dinner service and everyone marched in with bagpipes playing in the front and in the rear. All of men were in kilts.

It really is one of my most special memories (it was within the last 10 years so not so ancient)

Gives me chills even to think about it now.

Anyways, we sail Princess immediately after our Celebrity cruise so maybe there's still hope left. :)

I remember on our last Princess Cruise that there was a big groups on one of the cruises (we did 20 nights b2b) which was a mix from Scotland and Northern Ireland for a wedding and most of the male guests, particularly on the wedding day had their kilts on all day plus at formal nights. It made me feel slightly less lonely.

Although I tend to agree with you, I think it will come down to where the cruise is operating. My Wife and I are on the Eclipse in July for a 14 night Baltic Cruise from Southampton. Since there will be a lot more British on board in contrast to a Caribbean cruise, I think the take up of formal wear will be greater.

It will be interesting to see the change. Please let me know what happens as we do Silhouette in October out of Rome (gordon@thomasbarrie.co.uk)

It will be interesting to see the change. Please let me know what happens as we do Silhouette in October out of Rome (gordon@thomasbarrie.co.uk)

We're on the Eclipse cruise immediately before yours and I still haven't given up hope.

There is someone posting from the current cruise that stays on until we board on the 7th and I will ask him what he's observing in the next week or two when the Eclipse is back on her regular 14 day schedule.

Oh, and don't feel "lonely" in your kilt.

Keep in mind that there may be many women on board admiring you!

Edited by chamima