Just got an email...Staggered Check-In in Miami

Pesh

You'll be in the priority line, not the line for blue/red/gold card holders, so I don't think that will benefit anyone. I would choose the actual time I planned on arriving.

He means because only a certain number of people are allowed per check-in time. Once that number is reached, no one else can check in at that time. People might not be able to board until much later than they want to. Since he can board at any time, he doesn't want to take a desirable time slot from someone else.

We got check in time for our 3-20 Breeze sailing

We did not get a e-mail- I was wondering if

it was because we are platinum.

Also should I pick a late time because I'm platinum and save the early

time slot for those who are not?

I think that it would be best to select the time that you will actually arrive. How will the new system work if people list a later time and then show up early. Sounds like a recipe for chaos to me.

You should pick the slot that matches the time you plan to arrive. That's the only way Carnival's plan to even out the crowds will work. If all the Diamonds, Platinums, and FTTF's pick a late slot trying to be considerate but show up at 10:30 or 11:00 anyway, then too many of the early slots will have been given out to non-priority passengers and they will have the same boarding mess they have now.

He means because only a certain number of people are allowed per check-in time. Once that number is reached, no one else can check in at that time. People might not be able to board until much later than they want to. Since he can board at any time, he doesn't want to take a desirable time slot from someone else.

Here again the Carnival IT team should program the website cruise manager to EXCLUDE Diamond and Platinum members from choosing a check in time as the process is moot for their tier status under the VIFP program. But that would require someone at Carnival Corporate thinking to do this and caring enough to think it through. I doubt this will happen but it would be helpful for all.

Just saw that my cruise on 3/6 will be one of the first in this new roll-out. I have a feeling it's gonna be a disaster. Since the email was so shady looking or got caught by spam filters I think a lot of people won't realize they have to select a check-in time and will just show up whenever, like usual. I wonder how POM will handle that/how stringently they'll enforce it.

I did a thorough search but could not locate the choices for either the Conquest on March 27 or the Emerald Princess on February 6. We are Platinum on Carnival, so maybe we will not have to select a check-in time, but only Ruby on Princess.

The conquest goes out of Ft Lauderdale, so you would not be affected by the staggered boarding process in Miami. Don't know about the Princess roll out

I just got the email this morning for 3/19 Glory sailing. Others on the roll call got it yesterday. So it looks like the emails are going out at different times. No biggie.

My question is...if you pick the 10-10:30 time, the letter states boarding begins at 12:30. So it will be 2 hours from the arriving at the terminal until boarding? That seems like a long time. It seems like it'll be better to pick a later time slot.

It's a CCL Corporate initiative, so all the lines (HAL, Princess, Carnival, etc.) are adopting staggered boarding times - simply to reduce the mob scenes in cruise terminals. My most recent cruise, Emerald Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale in December, had it, and as I couldn't fine tune the hotel shuttle van, we showed up an hour early. Nobody got excited; wasn't like I was banned from standing in line; nobody asked to see any documentation until I got to the check-in desk.

It works fine. Reduced the number of people just milling around, which I think from a security standpoint is a good thing.

This sounds more like the unenforced recommended check-in times that Carnival has being doing for awhile now. Carnival claims that under their new system, people will not be allowed into the terminal until their time. I have not found any information that Princess or HAL is implementing enforced check-in times.

I would pick the time you plan to arrive. I think if all the priority pick the late slots and then show up early then it will be very crowded. My thinking would be they want to know when you plan to arrive so they can lower the crowding issue which is what the staggered check in is all about.

I just got the email this morning for 3/19 Glory sailing. Others on the roll call got it yesterday. So it looks like the emails are going out at different times. No biggie.

My question is...if you pick the 10-10:30 time, the letter states boarding begins at 12:30. So it will be 2 hours from the arriving at the terminal until boarding? That seems like a long time. It seems like it'll be better to pick a later time slot.

I agree...why make the check-in start so early if people won't be able to board? The thing is, the time slot you select is the earliest time you're allowed to enter the terminal. You allowed to arrive later. So I suppose some people will pick the 10am time slot but won't arrive until 11 so that they won't have to wait around. Which defeats the entire purpose.

We are platinum and received a staggered checkin email, although it was a mess of symbols and stuff. The instructions state that people with priority embarkation should still pick a time but were free to arrive at their leisure.

I agree...why make the check-in start so early if people won't be able to board? The thing is, the time slot you select is the earliest time you're allowed to enter the terminal. You allowed to arrive later. So I suppose some people will pick the 10am time slot but won't arrive until 11 so that they won't have to wait around. Which defeats the entire purpose.

They've always allowed people to check in at 10:00 and did not start boarding until 12ish (sometimes earlier, sometimes later), so the fact that some people choose to arrive at the port early is no different than usual. The difference will be that instead of hundreds of people showing up at 10:00, there will be a set number which should make things a little easier (hopefully). If someone choose a 10:00 check in time they're probably the ones that normally arrive early - so we know we'll be waiting for awhile in the terminal before boarding.

I am on the March 20 Breeze sailing. The email said that you should choose a time even if you are FTTF or Platinum/Diamond. So, I went ahead and picked the earliest time. We have FTTF. I will come back and report how it goes.

Here is the schedule of the rollout beginning in these ships in Miami from help.carnival.com:

Miami

Carnival Fantasy, 3/04/2016 until 11/04/2016 (repositions to Mobile)

Carnival Breeze, 3/06/2016 until 5/01/2016 (repositions to Galveston)

Carnival Sensation, 3/05/2016 and onwards

Carnival Glory, 3/05/2016 and onwards

Carnival Splendor, 3/20/16 and onwards

Per JH just a little bit ago:

The new staggered check in times we have on ships sailing from Galveston, New Orleans and from March, Miami

Here is a general summary which I hope will answer those questions ( thanks Elaine)

Please know that everyone has to pick a time slot.

If you are Diamond/Platinum/have FTTF or booked a suite, you still need to choose a time slot but you can show up anytime you want and be allowed into the terminal.

If you are not one of those, then you need to show up at the time slot you picked and will be allowed immediate access into the terminal.

If you are late, you will be allowed in.

If you show up earlier than your assigned time slot, you will not be allowed to enter the terminal and depending on the Port, can either walk around and sight see or just hang around outside and wait.

And Yes, regardless of whatever time you show up, you are allowed to give your luggage to the Porters. In addition, please do kindly understand that this is for check-in time only and does not mean you are boarding at that time.

cheers

I would pick the time you plan to arrive. I think if all the priority pick the late slots and then show up early then it will be very crowded. My thinking would be they want to know when you plan to arrive so they can lower the crowding issue which is what the staggered check in is all about.

I totally agree. Also, there is always the chance that an ill-informed security person will see the time on your boarding pass and not let you in until that time.

I received the same email for my March 26th cruise. I picked the 10:00 - 10:30 as well, but then noticed within the body of the email that boarding doesn't start until 12:00!

I think them saying 12:00 boarding time is standard, i have never gotten on the ship that late. the latest on my last cruise in may of last year was 11:30 and thats because the people were just trickling off the ship from the previous cruise.:mad: lol

I am on the March 20 Breeze sailing. The email said that you should choose a time even if you are FTTF or Platinum/Diamond. So, I went ahead and picked the earliest time. We have FTTF. I will come back and report how it goes.

I'm curious about this too. We have FTTF on our April Breeze cruise, and were hesitant about picking a time due to the FTTF, But we chose the earliest anyway after reading we needed to anyway. Can't wait to hear and read any feedback on this. ..I just want to cruise already, lol

Interesting - it says if you're Diamond, Platinum, FTTF OR book a Carnival transfer you can arrive anytime. I guess that makes sense in a way, since Carnival is getting you to the port, but it kinda "lessens" the earned privileges of Diamond/Platinum/FTTF guests (of which I am not one). Thoughts?

Edited by Pesh

Interesting - it says if you're Diamond, Platinum, FTTF OR book a Carnival transfer you can arrive anytime. I guess that makes sense in a way, since Carnival is getting you to the port, but it kinda "lessens" the earned privileges of Diamond/Platinum/FTTF guests (of which I am not one). Thoughts?

Why, getting in the terminal was never a benefit for diamond/platinum/FTTF. One of the benefits is boarding first, which still applies. Before staggered checkin people without these perks could still arrive early to the terminal, but they cant board until after the FTTF folks.

Why, getting in the terminal was never a benefit for diamond/platinum/FTTF. One of the benefits is boarding first, which still applies. Before staggered checkin people without these perks could still arrive early to the terminal, but they cant board until after the FTTF folks.

Ah, good point. So the only perk with the Carnival transfer is terminal access. Makes sense. I guess I thought they were saying they'd be allowed to check-in, not just get terminal access.