Sun South American Question for past cruisers

MKsol

Hello

I am hoping to get a some very specific information from someone(s) who has cruised this route (or at least a route that ended in the same port).

Itinerary calls for a final port of Buenos Aires with a 6 AM arrival. We are looking at flights back home and since we cannot stay any longer we are looking at same day of arrival flights to return to the US.

So looking for information about disembarkation in Buenos Aires, transit time to the airport and any other information that might be relevant in considering the earliest flight time we can consider.

I have asked this same question of our PCC but so far haven't gotten an answer so was turning to these forums which often provide great information far faster

Thanks in advance

Good luck; I hope that someone is able to help you but there have been very few cruises completed in BA so far; actually just 2.

Google maps state the distance is about 35km shortest route (Toll) and 40 minutes time between downtown BA and Ezeiza.

Mike

Thanks for the info so far. I have looked at flights and there is a 10.20 am that would have me to Miami the same day, and then connect back home to Orlando so spending that night in my own bed - obviously an attractive option.

Its that 6 am arrival /10.20 am flight that has me a bit concerned. I did the google map thing as well so know I am looking at 45 to 60 minutes travel time.

That leaves about 3 hours for disembarkation baggage airport check in etc - seems possible but risky too.

There is a PM (9.15 PM) flight that would get me back to Miami early the next morning and clearly is the safer choice and it gives me the day to explore a bit of BA, but given I and the DW have to return to work on the Monday it would be nice if we could get home Saturday night and have the change to settle back into reality.

Hopefully someone might come along with BA embarkation knowledge, but thanks for the thoughts so far.

Thanks for the info so far. I have looked at flights and there is a 10.20 am that would have me to Miami the same day, and then connect back home to Orlando so spending that night in my own bed - obviously an attractive option.

Its that 6 am arrival /10.20 am flight that has me a bit concerned. I did the google map thing as well so know I am looking at 45 to 60 minutes travel time.

That leaves about 3 hours for disembarkation baggage airport check in etc - seems possible but risky too.

There is a PM (9.15 PM) flight that would get me back to Miami early the next morning and clearly is the safer choice and it gives me the day to explore a bit of BA, but given I and the DW have to return to work on the Monday it would be nice if we could get home Saturday night and have the change to settle back into reality.

Hopefully someone might come along with BA embarkation knowledge, but thanks for the thoughts so far.

IMHO

Later flight.

I'd say- unless you are prepared to miss that 10:20a flight, don't consider it. You would have to be at the airport by 8:20a, add in, transfer time, lines getting off the ship- absolutely would have to be self assist. Adding it all up, you can see there is more possibility of this not happening.

Alternatively- if you do go ahead with that early idea, and miss the flight- do NOT count on getting out that same day. Flights run full on ship days.

I did a google search and found a couple of threads on the port over in the Ports of call section - google results are better then the forums search.

After reading them, I am pretty convinced the PM flight is going to be the way to go. We are in a suite and platinum so we will be able to be off the ship as early as anyone but I think this might just fall into the way to risky category even with that perk.

I'd say- unless you are prepared to miss that 10:20a flight, don't consider it. You would have to be at the airport by 8:20a, add in, transfer time, lines getting off the ship- absolutely would have to be self assist. Adding it all up, you can see there is more possibility of this not happening.

Alternatively- if you do go ahead with that early idea, and miss the flight- do NOT count on getting out that same day. Flights run full on ship days.

We're doing this trip in March. Somebody on our Roll Call has said that self-walk-off baggage isn't allowed.

That would mean you're restricted to when the ship can get the baggage off for you. Plus, it's another Argentine port, where you'll have to submit your Reciprocity Fee receipt, etc.

Most international flights say to check-in 2 hours before departure....that means you have to be at the airport by 8:20.

Means you have to be in the taxi line-up at 7:45 (assuming it's only 1 or 2 people)

Means you have to clear Customs by 7:30

Means you have to be have found your bags by 7:00 (to be safe)

Means you need to be off the ship by 6:30

Means you'll more than likely miss your flight.

Plus, Buenos Aires is the Paris of South America. It's worth at least a few hours of exploring. You might want to look into Shore Excursions which include a city tour with a drop-off at the airport.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, had the very same discussion with the DW when she got home and we were thinking about the same thing, some private tour that will enable us to take the bags (she doesn't understand the concept of traveling light) see some key highlights of BA and then get dropped at the airport taking the PM flight.

I understand that you don't want to stretch your trip any longer and I'm sure you have very good reasons for it, but I do urge you to reconsider if humanly possible to do so. You are setting yourself up for an extremely stressful journey home and that's a heck of a way to end such a potentially wonderful cruise. If you can manage it, stay one night in B.A. and fly out the NEXT morning. Regardless of your decision I wish you a great voyage! :)

First, my South American Cruise on the sun is my favorite cruise to date.

Just because your ship arrives at 6 AM does not mean it will be cleared that early. They move very slowly down there. Anything can happen. I have a rule that I never pick a flight before noon. Never. Too much can happen. One time I cruised out of Long Beach and when we got back we realized we were actually in San Pedro. The landing equipment at LB had broken and we had to be shuttled back to Long Beach. Would have never worked. We had put our bags out the night before so we would've had to pick those up in Long Beach anyway.

Back to Buenos Aires…. Our flight was chosen by NCL and we were flying out in the evening, which I understand is typical. We really had not made any plans for Buenos Aires. Our concierge made the strong suggestion to take one of the excursions that would drop us at the airport. We did the 8.5 hour city tour and estancia. It was wonderful wonderful wonderful.

We saw the city from the bus tour, we got to do some shopping, we ended up at the ranch where I rode horses, we watched the dancers and musicians and ate wonderful wonderful beef and drank fantastic wine. Had a very fun day before a long journey home.

We did our Celebrity Infinity cruise from BA to Valpo and loved it, as well as loving BA.

I suggest spending at least two days there to see the city.

Personally, I would not book an early flight out. That small cruise terminal at BA was a nightmare to embark. Anticipate the possibility of delays just getting off the ship and getting a taxi.