Westerdam Quick Review 1/02/16

St Pete Cruiser

We could care less what media the wait staff uses to record and communicate our order. Write it on paper, chalk it on a blackboard, etch it on slate, use an electronic device, write it on the back of his/her hand. Does not matter.

All that matters to us is that we get what we ordered, that is as advertised, hot when it should be hot/cold when it should be cold, and the service is reasonable.

Edited by iancal

I was sceptical when I first heard about the pads, fearing a loss of the professional server taking my order for exactly what I like. Winn, our MDR server on the Westerdam, took a moment after dinner was served to show me that not only was room number showing, but my picture, mariner level, and what I usually order! He knew I often like seafood, and I like my salmon medium rather than well done! Yes, on a 30 day cruise, the staff will know these things, but difficult to do on a 7 day with 2000 guests. As I mentioned, I asked for aspargus one night which was not on that evenings menu, and got it plus he asked me the next night if I wanted it again. I really was convinced. Plus, the dinner was served without the long waits we often have after ordering. Maybe it won't always work as well as it did last week for me, but do give it a chance.

As long as the tablet has a way for the waiter to enter special requests, I have no problem with it. If it saves some time, both for the waiter and for transmission of the info to the kitchen, it's a good thing. I do find the record-keeping about passengers' preferences a little "big brother," though.

Some nice improvements were noted in this thread, beverage service table side in the Lido being the biggest. We haven't had anyone serving drinks in there in a long time, it is a big nuisance and your food is cold by the time you make additional trips for a beverage.

I like the tablet system to order restaurant food, I'm seeing it more and more in the US. However, the ordering methodology is immaterial if the food isn't very good. Wish they could restore food quality but I know it won't happen.

What on earth is wrong with a taking an order on a tablet?

I do not see the connection between a professionally trained waiter (albeit with too many tables to service) and the method of recording and communicating a food order to the kitchen.

I suspect that a professional waiter's training goes far beyond the simple task of recording the order-no matter what the method.

I cannot understand why these are mutually exclusive.

Think McDonalds... that says it all. How much training do you think that takes.

Thank you so much for the somewhat comprehensive review of the "new" Westerdam:)

I am so hoping that a majority of the new techie touches are in place on our cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam this coming April.

Westerdam is my 2nd favorite HAL ship and I love to see the praises coming out about her. Thank you so much!!

Joanie

Our server used a tablet on the Westerdam in December.

We all joked about how he could track everything we did all day. :)

I don't see how it's any different from taking notes on a order pad, it gets the info to the kitchen quicker, and individual preferences can be noted as others have pointed out.

Technology happens.

Hi fellow cruise critic readers. As promised, a brief overview from my cruise on the Westerdam:...

We're supposed to be on the Westerdam out of Ft. Lauderdale in February, so I'm confused when you say the Westie won't be there until March 2017? You seem well informed! Can you please explain? Thanks!

Hi St Pete Cruiser... Thanks for your review! DW Betty & I are really looking forward to 30 days on the Westie to Tahiti in April. Also enjoyed our Westie cruise in 2011 & will probably book her again for early 2017 Mexico / Hawaii cruise.

Hello betty_g… Glad you got the answer to your question. Enjoy your Feb, 2016 cruise on the Westerdam! I had a reply ready to submit before seeing that your question had been answered by Happily@Sea.

To several others... We first experienced waiters with iPads on a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago. Probably a sign of the future.:)

I welcome the new tablet technology.

I do not think, as per the OP, that it is anywhere near reminiscent of McDonalds.

If the waiter can attach our cabin number to our individual preferences it means that when we do anytime dining he or she will automatically be aware of our preferences, food allergies, etc. Same when we visit an alternative dining venue.

From my perspective, this is a service enhancement by HAL. I am the first to criticize HAL for failing to invest and for being a generation behind in their in cabin IT offerings (and they most certainly are).

I welcome any change that improves customer service. Having a server input our order electronically can only enhance the start to finish service in the MDR. I make the assumption that the system works well, that HAL has tested it, and that the staff are trained to revert back to the manual process should the system go down for any reason.

Edited by iancal