what's some nice surprises did find on ur 1st cruise?

RNsoon2beNP

Honestly, the fact that I fell in love with cruising. I never thought I would be one to like it, we (hubby and 2 sons) like to vacation in the mountains, but my family pushed us to do a cruise in 2011 with the whole family. I went in thinking I am going to hate being stuck on a ship all the time...instead I literally fell in love with it. It is truly the best way to vacation!!!!!

It's been two years, but there are a few things I can think of that I had no idea would be so amazing.

First, the atmosphere of boarding the ship. From the moment we stepped out of our cab to the moment I crossed the threshold of the ship, I loved the positive vibe of the people waiting in anticipation to begin their vacations.

How beautiful the ship was. I was on Glory, and she is wonderful. I had zero complaints about her or the staff.

I was in an interior cabin, and I coveted my friends' cabin with the balcony. I spent a bit of time on their balcony before I went to bed thinking I wouldn't be able to sleep without it. Then I woke up the following morning and realized I slept so very well in the interior cabin.

My first sea day morning on the ship was my favorite memory. It's silly because we had an amazing week, but that first sea day morning was the epitome of what I seek in a vacation. I wake up early while on vacation, earlier than I do for work even, because I don't want to miss a moment. I ordered coffee to drink while I got around for the day and then I went to lido, picked out a few items to snack on, and found a seat right by the window. There was lots of action going on around me, but I lost myself in the sea. It took me away to serenity and I was there for a long while. I wasn't brought out of it until my friends joined me at my table. I bet it was a good 45 minutes.

I've always loved boating and being on the water, but I had no idea how mesmerizing the sea would be. It was an amazing surprise, for sure. I look forward to experiencing those moments again next month.

Food!!!

The buffet food was better than I expected. We are really picky eaters, but we always can find fresh fruit, salads, and leaner cut meats, etc. We expected nothing but goopy food... and believe me, there is plenty of that, but if you are willing to walk around and look at each buffet station, you will find options that suit you.

Ditto the dinner menu... people who complain about the new American Table menu are not really looking at the whole menu. The Port of Call option is really good most of the time, and a great change from the usual. (I don't go on a cruise for lobster and steak every meal, in fact I don't eat either. )

We really liked the Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana tacos, too.

I think the most important thing I learned from a seasoned cruiser was you can order whatever you want in the MDR for dinner, on the menu of course. You can have 2, 3 appetizers if you want. Same with entree. If you don't like it send it back and try something else. All pasta entrees can be ordered as a appetizer too, smaller portion is served. I once had a table mate who had 9 lobster tails.:D

Cheers!

Edited by PekingeseLady

First, the atmosphere of boarding the ship. From the moment we stepped out of our cab to the moment I crossed the threshold of the ship, I loved the positive vibe of the people waiting in anticipation to begin their vacations.

How beautiful the ship was.

I was in an interior cabin, and I coveted my friends' cabin with the balcony. I spent a bit of time on their balcony before I went to bed thinking I wouldn't be able to sleep without it. Then I woke up the following morning and realized I slept so very well in the interior cabin.

All these things! First cruise was with ex DH and we met so many wonderful people, got to participate in an impromptu wedding, and it was our first time outside of the United States. We booked a cruise the following year.

Took a few years off because of divorce, but booked 3 once I bounced back into the swing.

It is by far my favorite vacation.

I think each cruise is so different, almost as though a life force of its own. Depending on who you are traveling with, the other guests, and the crew of the ship.

In Belize, I didn't have to tender to get to my excursion. The local boat pulled right up to the Carnival Paradise, and about 18 of us boarded and went off to San Pedro Island (Ambergris Cay) to snorkel in the Hol Chan preserve at Shark Ray Alley. After an amazing snorkel on the reef with the rays and nurse sharks, we had a local lunch on shore before our ride straight back to the ship, sighting dolphins and porpoises along the way.

I loved it so much I returned for a week's vacation on San Pedro! Wished Carnival would still offer that excursion. Now they go to Caulker Cay but you have to tender first, not quite the same experience as Hol Chan.

Any free or unexpected surprises you found cruising with carnival, that you think others shouldn't miss out on?

It's been 30 years since that 1st cruise for our honeymoon (Tropicale) so I apologize if the details aren't so clear. But what stands out to me at that time versus now is the incredible dining room experience in terms of quality of food and service. It was a delight

Edited by LuckyZ

Well this is embarrassing but my husband and I were ordering our breakfast off the room service menu for 2 days and only eating at those little restaurants around the pool and dining room at night. Had no idea about the buffet or breakfast in the dining room! So we were eating fruit, bagels, and cold smoked salmon each morning! We were so happy to be on a cruise we didn't care what we ate! But it sure was a lovely surprise to know there was so much more of the ship we had missed! We loved the fried oysters at Fish n Chips which we also didn't know about until the 6th day.

Edited by smyliecruising

It's been two years, but there are a few things I can think of that I had no idea would be so amazing.

How beautiful the ship was. I was on Glory, and she is wonderful. I had zero complaints about her or the staff.

My first sea day morning on the ship was my favorite memory. It's silly because we had an amazing week, but that first sea day morning was the epitome of what I seek in a vacation. I wake up early while on vacation, earlier than I do for work even, because I don't want to miss a moment. I ordered coffee to drink while I got around for the day and then I went to lido, picked out a few items to snack on, and found a seat right by the window. There was lots of action going on around me, but I lost myself in the sea. It took me away to serenity and I was there for a long while. I wasn't brought out of it until my friends joined me at my table. I bet it was a good 45 minutes.

I've always loved boating and being on the water, but I had no idea how mesmerizing the sea would be. It was an amazing surprise, for sure. I look forward to experiencing those moments again next month.

You made me close my eyes and smile with this one!

The biggest surprise for me was how much I ended up loving sea days! I haven't traveled much in my life, so the ports are what I choose my cruises for. But, I love the relaxation of sea days. There's just something about having nothing that you have to do that day. Except relax!

The biggest surprise for me was how much I ended up loving sea days! I haven't traveled much in my life, so the ports are what I choose my cruises for. But, I love the relaxation of sea days. There's just something about having nothing that you have to do that day. Except relax!

That is the most amazing part of a cruise! I love laying in the sun at the aft listening to the sounds around me and reading a great book. I do that for hours on end. The best!