Anchorage vs. Fairbanks - which did you like best and why?

mlbcruiser

Wondering whether we should visit Anchorage or Fairbanks. Don't think we can see both and are trying to choose between tour itineraries. In photos, Anchorage looks the more beautiful of the 2 (due to the mt. backdrop). However, so many people seem to like Fairbanks. The boat tour there sounds kind of enjoyable. Please post why you like one more than the other and why.

(BTW, I'm sure this question has been asked on here before, but I did use the search function and it wasn't coming up with anything. Instead it gave me many posts that seemed to have nothing to do w/my question! Perhaps it was having a senior moment, lol!)

Thanks for any opinions!

Edited by mlbcruiser

I lived in Fairbanks for three months and have lived just north of Anchorage for almost 20 years. I would visit neither other than to transition through. I would visit Denali National Park, Matanuska Glacier, a Prince Willima Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier, hike to Byron Glacier at Portage, a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise out of Seward, etc...

Both towns do have some good museums. But other than that, I merely see them as a doorway for getting out into Alaska.

• Like 1

Both towns have things to offer, but if you're deciding between 4 itineraries, I think the details of those 4 itineraries are more important than anchorage or Fairbanks.

Specifically, look at the travel times each day. Some of the shorter tours spend a lot of time in transit with little time at the actual destination. The train is very slow. Do you arrive late afternoon and leave the next morning?

I think it depends on what you want to do. The other big factor is the major size different between the two. Keep in mind that population statistics for Fairbanks can either represent the city or the Borough whereas in Anchorage its always the MOA (Municipality of Anchorage). Fairbanksans are spread over a very large area, with many folks hiding out in the woods.

I've lived in both and found it quite humorous how many tour buses circled around Fairbanks. Sometimes they'd drop groups off downtown for several hours of free time and many looked bewildered or underwhelmed. The Anchorage downtown is quite crowded and busy (by Alaska standards) during the summer. The Fairbanks downtown has many vacant buildings and little "buzz." The Museum of the North in Fairbanks is very nice but its much smaller than the Anchorage Museum, not to mention the Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage. Fairbanks is much warmer in the summer than Anchorage, so some appreciate that. I feel that Chena Hot Springs (near Fairbanks) is a quality location with a variety of activities that is one major thing the Fairbanks area has that the Anchorage area doesn't have. Driving a little ways up the pipeline highway is beautiful, but so are most drives outside Anchorage. Lots of hiking, multi-use trails, and outdoor opportunities in both area. Both areas have nature centers to visit. More variety of dining opportunities in Anchorage; most of my friends in Fairbanks eat out for Thai and not much else. I enjoyed the farmers market in Fairbanks immensely but my parents, visiting from the Lower 48, were not impressed. They did, however, find it quaint to go on a tour of my dry cabin (no plumbing) and visit the public well where I drove to get water. More variety of hotels in Anchorage than Fairbanks, but there are some nice B&Bs in both.

Mapleleaves, the two cruises/tours I am leaning towards seem to have decent times in the ports. Except in Ketchikan they depart at 2 p.m. We'll likely be doing land last, so we MIGHT stay an extra night or two in whatever city we fly home from. Fairbanks is a bit pricier w/re: to the air. There is the riverboat trip and gold mine aspect of Fairbanks. However, in pictures, Anchorage appears to be in a beautiful setting w/the mt. backdrop. Also, IF we decided to stay a bit longer, it seems there are some places on land that would be easier to reach should we decide to rent a car for a day or 2. Should I pick a cruise that ends in Vancouver, we'd likely fly into Anchorage two days early. We'll be spending 2 -3 nights in Denali as part of the land tour. Normally we travel and tour on our own, and much prefer the freedom that brings. However, due to a medical issue affecting my dh's mobility, we will need a bit of assistance in ways that dictate our doing an organized tour this time around. Unfortunately, just a few months ago we'd be planning to do whitewater rafting and hiking, but that's pretty much off the table now.

arctickitty, we live in a big city now, but from your helpful descriptions, I think Anchorage may be the right choice for us in this situation.

AKStafford, we probably wouldn't plan to spend valuable time in either city except that we'll already have to be in one of them either at the start or finish of our cruise and/or tour. I have avoided considering any tours that have 2 days in one of the cities at the start or finish, preferring to see the smaller and/or more natural sights.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Edited by mlbcruiser

As purely a tourist (I'm from Texas), I enjoyed Anchorage more than Fairbanks. I saw Fairbanks as more of a working town whereas Anchorage truly was beautiful. You're right, it might be because of those mountains! I loved being near the water. In the summer, the flower pots and neatly trimmed yards were gorgeous. Once again, I've simply gone to Alaska as a tourist (driven from Texas twice!) but do love that state! All of it! And yes.... Everything is bigger in Alaska!

I think it depends on what you want to do. The other big factor is the major size different between the two. Keep in mind that population statistics for Fairbanks can either represent the city or the Borough whereas in Anchorage its always the MOA (Municipality of Anchorage). Fairbanksans are spread over a very large area, with many folks hiding out in the woods.

I've lived in both and found it quite humorous how many tour buses circled around Fairbanks. Sometimes they'd drop groups off downtown for several hours of free time and many looked bewildered or underwhelmed. The Anchorage downtown is quite crowded and busy (by Alaska standards) during the summer. The Fairbanks downtown has many vacant buildings and little "buzz." The Museum of the North in Fairbanks is very nice but its much smaller than the Anchorage Museum, not to mention the Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage. Fairbanks is much warmer in the summer than Anchorage, so some appreciate that. I feel that Chena Hot Springs (near Fairbanks) is a quality location with a variety of activities that is one major thing the Fairbanks area has that the Anchorage area doesn't have. Driving a little ways up the pipeline highway is beautiful, but so are most drives outside Anchorage. Lots of hiking, multi-use trails, and outdoor opportunities in both area. Both areas have nature centers to visit. More variety of dining opportunities in Anchorage; most of my friends in Fairbanks eat out for Thai and not much else. I enjoyed the farmers market in Fairbanks immensely but my parents, visiting from the Lower 48, were not impressed. They did, however, find it quaint to go on a tour of my dry cabin (no plumbing) and visit the public well where I drove to get water. More variety of hotels in Anchorage than Fairbanks, but there are some nice B&Bs in both.

There is one attraction that Fairbanks has that Anchorage can not match - the Fountainhead Car Museum. A car museum is not very Alaskan although the Fountainhead emphasizes motoring in Alaska but the museum is a wonderful place to visit and worth a full day's visit if you are into cars. The way the work costuming into the car exhibits is also very good. I have been there every time I have been to Fairbanks - 3 times - and I would go back again.

Also, and this is personal opinion but I am not sure that the Anchorage Museum is better than the Museum of the North. A tie perhaps but I prefer the Museum of the North.

DON

Uebey, just had to like your last line - coming from a Texan, ;)! I read a description of Fairbanks where it was said to be more of an everyday working town which seems to fit your description. Nothing wrong with being such a town, of course.

Donaldsc, I'm sure my sil would LOVE the car museum, but don't think I'd care about it that much. That tip will no doubt interested someone who happens to look at this thread and loves cars, though, I'm sure!

Thanks to you both for your help.

http://www.anchorage.net http://www.explorefairbanks.com

I would hardly choose Fairbanks = for a boat trip on the Chena River. :) But Fairbanks has plenty of excellent opportunties- for the Arctic. :) and an excellent Fairbanks U Museum, Large Animal Research Farm- musk ox, botanical garden, reindeer farm, etc.

Anchorage is a winner too. Native Heritage Centeris a gem, great museums.

I'd instead, suggest you pick apart your land tour, and be sure- it takes you where you want to go, and have enough time for your activities. Some are ridiculous with transit times.

Thanks for the links, Budget Queen. I have also read some things on both cities on Tripadvisor as well as in Fodor's AK Cruises. Frankly, neither place bowled me over going by what was written as much as some other places have, but then, who knows? When we are actually THERE in person, perhaps I'll be unexpectedly bowled over, lol. Boils down to different strokes for different folks, as they say. Some would enjoy a boat ride and panning for gold more than the animal research farm. A poster above really enjoys things having to do with cars. A lot depends on the types of things one has already done or seen, and where there interests lie. I am one to lean towards the Native Heritage Center or a native way of life experience and active pursuits like whitewater rafting or something, but as I mentioned, activities like that will not be in the cards this trip due to my dh's recent limitations at present. Thankfully one can pick up so much on these CC boards!

Also, IF we decided to stay a bit longer, it seems there are some places on land that would be easier to reach should we decide to rent a car for a day or 2. !

With a rental car and the mobility considerations I think Anchorage has the edge. Even a drive along the Turnagain Arm which is within 60 miles of downtown, offers many opportunities ... watching for goats on the ridges, birdwatching on the boardwalk at Potters Marsh, Wildlife Conservation Center ( walk or drive thru), Alyeska Resort tram, Beluga Point.

Suggested stopping points in this link:

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

I will throw one more thing into the pro-Fairbanks mix assuming you love blues music as much as I do - the Howling Dog Saloon on blues night.

"Wednesday night is Blues Jam Night at the Dawg, featuring Alaska's most venerable blues band, The Mighty Untouchables, with Larry "Rain Dog" Raines on lead guitar and vocals, Rif Rafson on bass guitar, and Lewis Holdaway on drums. Larry Cantil often joins the guys, blowin' his blues harp, and often the Rain Dog's brother, Lindy, takes the stage on guitar.

These guys remain true to the blues, covering classics from the likes of Muddy Waters, Slim Harpo, Jimmy Rogers, BB King, and their icon, John Lee Hooker. The guys toured Alaska with the Hook some 25-30 years ago. Yup, the Untouchables have been playing the blues in Fairbanks for 30 years or more. In fact, this band is as much a Fairbanks institution as is the Howling Dog. "

I have not been in Fairbanks in the summer time for a few years now so I am assuming the place is as good as it used to be. The way that we found it is that we went bar hopping with the owner of the of the B&B we stayed at and ended up at the Howling Dog as we stayed there for a long time. A wonderful place.

DON

mapleleaves, what a super link - not only for me but for anyone who may read this and might be considering driving around the area. The pix are very helpful, giving a good idea of what those areas looks like. Reminds me of a few areas we've driven in on sunny days in Colorado a bit in some scenes. Thanks a bunch for posting that link! Just even a couple of days on land AFTER our cruise & tour allows me to get my fix having options open and not having to stick to a tour itinerary. The driving around just a bit, not even having to stop for some activity, really, is right up our alley as we do that so much on trips. Doing it for most of our trip would NOT work too well this time around, but a 2 day "mess around" period would. And it really will work for my dh as he won't have to do a lot of physical things.

Donald SC, yes I like blues music. We live in St. Louis and are often in New Orleans at our daughter's. Both places are loaded with good blues music. I'm sure Howling Dog is a good time.

You guys are great!

Edited by mlbcruiser

mapleleaves, what a super link - not only for me but for anyone who may read this and might be considering driving around the area. The pix are very helpful, giving a good idea of what those areas looks like. QUOTE]

You're welcome! Alaska.org is a great resource..... lots of useful info. There's even a video and photo gallery.

Another great visual resource is youtube. Type 'Turnagain Arm drive' and you'll find lots of personal videos of the drive.

You know, there is just a lot I haven't looked into that I normally would have already but it's been a time issue. Besides that, I'm trying to figure out something on the tropical side that would work for us less than 2 mos. from now. I think I at least need to get through booking the AK cruise tour pretty soon as I do fear availability and pricing may get worse. Life interruptus gets I the way. Like right now I have to head out the door! Seems when I get on a roll it's 2 a.m. and I need to be spending the time sleeping instead of staring at the doggone computer screen, lol!

• 1 year later...