B3 extended balcony Riveria "SHAKE RATTLE AND NOISE!!

fb0075

Confused as an avid CC member that I haven't seen anything on the AWFUL noise and shaking in these aft cabins while leaving and docking!! We have been on 119 cruises so I understand some noise on older ships but this was excessive

We travel to sleep late and take advantage of the ship to relax but NOT ON THIS SHIP!!

Very dissatisfied

Frank

We had a similar problem in the forward extended B3 balcony. We had 7008 (the one that does the 45 degree angle) and the partition would shake and bang loudly when the ship was underway and it was quite loud. I ended up taking one of those breath strip containers and jamming in the partition (hard) and that stopped it. Not sure what the "permanent" solution is for that situation.

Confused as an avid CC member that I haven't seen anything on the AWFUL noise and shaking in these aft cabins while leaving and docking!! We have been on 119 cruises so I understand some noise on older ships but this was excessive

We travel to sleep late and take advantage of the ship to relax but NOT ON THIS SHIP!!

Very dissatisfied

Frank

Hi Frank we were also very disappointed at the noise level and vibration in our aft extended balcony cabin when docking. We also could not get a a late sleep and doubt if we will have this cabin ever again. We love the ship and are happy with every other aspect of it.

Very dissatisfied

Frank

What you felt was the noise of the thrusters being deployed, and I don't know what ships you have been sailing in the past, but it has been a fact of life on all cruise ships since tugboats were replaced in the mid 1960's.

I suppose that if you were on a real behemoth, sheer distance from the power plant may have provided some insulation from it, but on a medium sized ship you will be closer to, well, everything.

In any case, they use the thrusters as sparingly as possible. so we are talking about 15 or 20 minutes max in ports where they are needed.

Sorry Stanand Jim

I am very acquaintanced with the noise and vibration of thrusters, as we have sailed on every size vessel I understand and appreciate that you are the resident expert of O but this is NOT about us. It is about the noise and vibration of this vessel.

I, actually, was wondering why it hasn't been mentioned beforehand as we have never heard this on the R ships

Ship is beautiful and the dinner in Polo was much better than on the Regatta

So now it's an unwanted and unexpected start to our day

Frank

It probably has been mentioned before but most regulars are used to it

On Marina it is the same thing no matter where you are when the ship is docking or leaving the port

We have felt the thruster vibration even on the pool deck

Too bad about the sleeping in plan ...it is usually other PAX that disturb my good intentions;)

We will be in 7111 in a month. I also have not read anything bad about these staterooms...only good, and why we booked it.

So, I hope that we will not be bothered by the movement and noise.

Arriving: We rarely sleep past 7:00am and some of our ports of call are tender ports. I assume no vibration when tendering?

If we are awakened by the noise, we will just consider it our alarm clock. :D

Leaving: We will be out and about the ship for 3-4 of the of the afternoons. One evening, we will be eating dinner. Two evenings, we leave around 11:00pm. We will probably be getting ready for bed at that time, and can stand on the balcony and look at the lights of the city. :)

Thanks for the warning!

Edited by Iamthesea

We will be in 7111 in a month. I also have not read anything bad about these staterooms...only good, and why we booked it.

So, I hope that we will not be bothered by the movement and noise.

Thanks for the warning!

The whole ship seems to shake when the thrusters are engaged ..no escaping it

You will have the added fun of them lowering the lifeboats for the tender ports ;)

LOL...What type of fun?

You haven't lived until you're exiting the shower at the crack of dawn, and a strange face appears in a window which you never thought to curtain because it's ten decks above the waterline!

Running and hiding seems so cowardly....but walking to the drawstring requires a level of confidence which I sadly lack.

I would strongly urge you invest in a good pair of earplugs. They won't help with the shaking, but...ships move. The noise, however, would be eliminated and you could likely sleep through the relatively brief movements that occur during docking and leaving.

There are so very many ways in which noise can interrupt sleep when on vacation. From partying neighbors in a room next door, to learning your hotel room is right across the street from a popular nightclub, to thumping beds overhead from passionate vacationers, to scraping chairs at 5am on the pool deck above you...vacations are fraught with opportunities for noise-related sleep disruption. Ear plugs really do solve those problems.

Edited by Leejnd4

My ears have never tolerated ear plugs very well, but we do sleep with a white noise machine. Combine that with a white noise app on my Ipad (if needed) we sleep pretty well on ships. :)

You haven't lived until you're exiting the shower at the crack of dawn, and a strange face appears in a window which you never thought to curtain because it's ten decks above the waterline!

Running and hiding seems so cowardly....but walking to the drawstring requires a level of confidence which I sadly lack.

No, but I have walked out of the shower into the stateroom and had my steward standing there. Luckily, I had a towel around me. :eek:

If I am not mistaken, the lifeboats are below and to the left of my balcony.

It's not just the thrusters. Ships with real shaft-driven propellers cavitate as they accelerate, and the cavitation creates temporary vibration Repeat: temporary. It goes away when the propellers "bite" as cruising speed is attained. There's nothing wrong with the ship, and nothing can be done about it. It's like drag racing cars "burn out" with wheel spin.

All Oceania ships are driven with shaft-driven propellers. It's a much more reliable form of propulsion. Many other ships have what are called "pods", which are like outboard motors hanging under the hulls. The pods are notoriously unreliable and almost every ship equipped with them has developed problems at some time. The pod propellers also cavitate, but they are not attached to shafts and the vibration is localized. That said, I have cruised on a pod-equipped ship that had to be slowed due to constant pod vibration.

Pod driven ships have forward thrusters, but not aft thrusters, as the pods may be rotated and drive the ship sideways.

Bottom line is I much prefer the safety and reliability of a shaft-driven ship than one with pods. I am perfectly willing to "suffer" the occasional, temporary vibration in exchange.

We were in 7008 the angled B3 on Riviera last September and has no issues at all. We often woke up in the morning and has already docked and hadn't realised we'd stopped sailing. The ship was super smooth.

We sailed through a storm and the balcony divider was rattling quite a bit but it was extremely windy, the noise didn't permeate into the stateroom. I noticed that my neighbour wedged something between the divider and the balcony so it stopped.

We were in the Owners Suite on Deck 8 for the April 15 Trans-Atlantic cruise. There was no or little vibration when docking because the stern thrusters were out of service and we had to be moved in and out by tugs. However -- when the ship was travelling a full speed - because of a medical emergency we had to get into helicopter range of the Azores one night - our bed shook as though there was an earthquake. It was impossible to sleep. I am not complaining because it was an emergency - just stating a fact.

I have been in 7128, 7130,7133 and 7135 and never heard that shuddering you are talking about. Those cabins are the last 2 cabins on either side of ship. On the other hand, my first cruise with O was in 10031 toward the bow and I heard a lot of shuddering. That's why I always want a cabin in the aft section.

I have been in 7128, 7130,7133 and 7135 and never heard that shuddering you are talking about. Those cabins are the last 2 cabins on either side of ship. On the other hand, my first cruise with O was in 10031 toward the bow and I heard a lot of shuddering. That's why I always want a cabin in the aft section.

We just disembarked two days ago. We were in 11001, which is the most forward cabin on our deck. Didn't notice any shuddering at all. We did bob up and down a bit when the seas were a little rough, but it was lovely...rocked me to sleep like a baby in her Momma's womb. :) But then I'm a sailor at heart!

We just disembarked two days ago. We were in 11001, which is the most forward cabin on our deck. Didn't notice any shuddering at all. We did bob up and down a bit when the seas were a little rough, but it was lovely...rocked me to sleep like a baby in her Momma's womb. :) But then I'm a sailor at heart!

I love rocking and rolling when I'm going to sleep. The shuddering noise in our first cabin was intermittent. I got used to it but it drove my friend nuts. It would be quiet for a bit and then it was like something started banging and shaking, waking my friend up every time.