Chances for wildlife - Prince William Sound, late May

Wishing on a star

I believe we would much prefer the PWS cruise over Kenai Fjords. Assuming it has the more dramatic shoreline scenery, and of course the glaciers.

I am just wondering how much wildlife we might see? I understand that this might not be the biggest area for wildlife. As opposed to, Kenai Fjords???

Definitely would appreciate the calmer water in much of PWS too.

Thanks for any info and comparison.

Edited by Wishing on a star

I haven't seen much wildlife on the Blackstone Bay tour. A few harbor seals and some sea otters. I saw a bear, once. (out of 20++ trips)

Surprise glacier usually sees rafts of sea otters- which give you a better extended look.

It's rare to see humpbacks, and I've never seen orcas. Allen Marine does stop briefly, on some of their boat tours at a Kittiwake bird rookery. Overall, do not take this tour to see wildlife. Kenai fjords is far more productive.

Both Major Marine and 26 Glacier/Philips Cruises make a stop at the kittiwake rookery across from Whittier on their tours. Usually pretty plentiful with these birds late in May.

The last two years have been fortunate with humpback whale sightings and orca on these trips. It's really just a matter of timing.

Maybe schedules have changed, but when I tried to make reservations for the Surprise Glacier route in the past couple years, I was told they don't go there until May31st. Check with your vendor.

I agree that route has amazing numbers of otters, although we saw otters on the short route, too. We also saw loads of seals or sea lions on some rocks, but I can't remember if that was the short or long route. Either way. It's a wonderful trip.

Both Major Marine and 26 Glacier/Philips Cruises make a stop at the kittiwake rookery across from Whittier on their tours. Usually pretty plentiful with these birds late in May.

The last two years have been fortunate with humpback whale sightings and orca on these trips. It's really just a matter of timing.

What month did you go on, was it late may, to see the whales?

What month did you go on, was it late may, to see the whales?

Chenega has been there every month. :) I believe his wife works/worked for one of the companies, and he is an educator? (could be totally mixing this up :) )

I have seen humpbacks a few times, and they can be seen the entire cruise ship season. I haven't had a lot of wildlife viewing as I already mentioned.

Chenega has been there every month. :) I believe his wife works/worked for one of the companies, and he is an educator? (could be totally mixing this up :) )

I have seen humpbacks a few times, and they can be seen the entire cruise ship season. I haven't had a lot of wildlife viewing as I already mentioned.

That's correct. My wife works for one of the smaller water-taxi operators during the summer and I'm a teacher at the local college in Anchorage. Prince William Sound has long been a field trip for my geography classes and the Mrs. gets out there every chance she gets.

In general, your better wildlife viewing is earlier in the summer season. Sightings become less frequent in mid-August and the weather doesn't always cooperate at that time either.;)

Our favorite PWS trip is one that includes Esther Passage and enters Barry Arm/Harriman Fjord for a visit to Surprise Glacier.

Edited by Chenega

We were probably lucky this year and before we sailed south on the Star Princess (Aug 29) we did the the 26 Glacier Cruise with Phillips. We saw many seals and otters along with a pod of orcas. No humpbacks though.....

The scenery alone was worth the trip and the weather was sunny, dry and warm for us - which I guess you can't count on in late August. This was the first year that I sailed that late and it was my best weather trip overall. So, you never know what you will get in Alaska - but it is all great!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Prince William Sound crossing as part of our land tour, going from Valdez to Whittier before we boarded the ship. This was in early August and we saw lots of birds, seals, otters, and several types of wales. The captain would slow the boat and call things out so that people could head to the windows or the outer decks to get pictures and enjoy the wildlife.

Here is a link to my travelogue from that day of the trip if it gives you a better idea of what you might be able to see

http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/2015/08/day-10-copper-center-alaska-and-then-to.html

We did the Prince William Sound crossing as part of our land tour, going from Valdez to Whittier before we boarded the ship. This was in early August and we saw lots of birds, seals, otters, and several types of wales. The captain would slow the boat and call things out so that people could head to the windows or the outer decks to get pictures and enjoy the wildlife.

Here is a link to my travelogue from that day of the trip if it gives you a better idea of what you might be able to see

http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/2015/08/day-10-copper-center-alaska-and-then-to.html

We are doing this on June 1. Thankyou for the link. Just a flick through and the whole site looks amazing. We are doing the same landtour as you did.

Edited by Pushka