Laptop Safety

Ironman1989

I'm planning on taking my laptop computer with us on our cruise in February. If you take a laptop, do you leave it out on the desk when you're not in your cabin, or do you put it somewhere out of sight? Anyone ever had a laptop stolen or tampered with on a cruise ship?

We bring an I Pad and it just fits in the safe. If you do bring a full size laptop you should hide it under some clothes in a draw , and keep the wires hidden so there is nothing to give it away. I believe that 99.9 % of Cruise ship employees are honest, but you never know. People are people, some are better then others.

Unfortunately the safes on most cruise ships are not lap top sized so you can't lock them away. However I view staying in a cruise cabin a lot different than a hotel for a night or 2 where it's rare the same person cleans your room everyday and they don't work on tips. If anything went missing from you room it would've had to be 1 person the stew, and they really rely on your tips so it would be really stupid for them to take something. Now I'm not saying its a good idea to leave $100's sitting out around the room, but a laptop should be fine. Maybe put it back in your suitcase or in the closet between clothing for your peace of mind.

I took my surface on our last cruise. it wouldnt fit in the safe but i kept it in a bag in the closet hidden under some papers (funtimes and inserts that I take home every cruise). no issues at all. We typically dont take electronics on our cruise but I actually did a review on the cruise in my down time.

DH always takes at least two laptops on every cruise. He always leaves them out, in plain sight (although he does honour my request of making sure they're in a spot not visible from the hall if our cabin door is open), and has never had anything stolen. Theft from cruise ship cabins can happen, and I believe it has happened, but it is very rare.

We sometimes bring a laptop and I don't lock it up. I don't worry about our room attendant messing with it, but rather my fellow passengers. The room doors are propped opened while being cleaned, so when I leave my room, I put my laptop and other electronics out of plain sight so that they aren't seen by a passerby.

When we cruise, I bring a laptop, iPad, one or both of an underwater camera, a DSLR, and my wife and I bring our phones. We also bring a power strip. So far we have never had a problem with any of that getting stolen when leaving it out on the desk. Though I usually put them in the top desk drawer so that if we happen to hit rough seas, they don't fall onto the floor.

"Disconnecting" isn't an option for everyone. My husband owns a small IT consulting company. He has to stay connected with employees and clients, and keep working while on vacation. If he wasn't able to do this, he wouldn't be able to leave town at all.:( Having internet access and his work laptops on our cruises allows us the chance to "get away" while he still gets to stay "connected".:)

Just to be sure, does everyone believe that you can actually hide things in a stateroom and they won't be found? Because If I was going to steal and was a professional, I would believe I would be able to quickly look through draws and the closet rather quickly to find it. A locked suitcase under the bed would be a dead giveaway. :D

We bring small electronics that we lock up in the safe with our cash, jewelry and passports. Amazingly it all fits in there. I'm concerned more about other passengers when the door is open during cleaning than I am about Carnival staff. Why leave it out in plain sight? I also tidy up the cabin before we go out, but that's my OCD.

I'm planning on taking my laptop computer with us on our cruise in February. If you take a laptop, do you leave it out on the desk when you're not in your cabin, or do you put it somewhere out of sight?

I use this lock on my laptop (but mainly at hotels, since I've never needed my laptop on a cruise.) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K4KH

I hook it up to something immobile or heavy and then the laptop can't be casually taken from the room, even if someone with heavy duty bolt cutters may be able to remove it with enough effort.

I also set a BIOS password so no one can start up the computer without a pasword, even with a bootable USB stick inserted. (I don't know if they'd be unable to unscrew the case while the lock is attached and remove my hard drive to steal data, but I really have it to keep honest people honest versus trying to be fort knox.)

Edited by wlc108
Clarifying that I use it at hotels mainly

I'm planning on taking my laptop computer with us on our cruise in February. If you take a laptop, do you leave it out on the desk when you're not in your cabin, or do you put it somewhere out of sight? Anyone ever had a laptop stolen or tampered with on a cruise ship?

Wife and I both leave all of our electronics, including two laptops, two iPads, an e-Reader, and four cell phones, and a LOT of camera equipment, out on the ship, have never had any issues. Laptops are usually too big to fit in the safe.

Edited by zqvol