Would it be ok to bring a small Hand Steamer?

mjmcgove

Many here will tell you that they have done it many times, that because it doesn't have an exposed hot surface, or that it has an auto-shutoff, that it is okay. As others have said, they are on the proscribed list, and generally anything with a heating element, other than hair care appliances are not allowed. Auto-shutoffs fail on a regular basis.

What you can do instead is hang any wrinkled garment on the shower door, then take a hot shower. Stretch the garment immediately afterwards and most wrinkles will disappear.

Or do what I do and bring wrinkle free clothes. Some Dockers and microfiber shirts come to mind.

All ships have a laundry room with free irons and ironing boards. I iron our formal stuff the morning of arrival and hang them in the closet. That way I avoid the line of people waiting to iron their stuff on formal nights. It's much easier than lugging an iron on board or spending money on something I'll only use occasionally on trips.

All ships have a laundry room with free irons and ironing boards. I iron our formal stuff the morning of arrival and hang them in the closet. That way I avoid the line of people waiting to iron their stuff on formal nights. It's much easier than lugging an iron on board or spending money on something I'll only use occasionally on trips.

Are there really lines for the irons on formal nights? I know we all spend our time as we want, its our vacation but this is not what I would ever want to do. I do it all at home and use packing cubes and usually pack 2-4 weeks prior to vacation and we never have wrinkled clothes. Well my dd may since she doent want me to iron most her stuff and she throws it into her suitcase almost in a big mess pile.

Edited by js

Yes there really are lines lol. But it's only on formal nights. Any other time is ok. And I just need to iron my husbands dress shirts or an occasional dress. I usually try to get wrinkle free skirts and blouses though.

Why not try asking the dry cleaner to clean and fold them for you and possibly use tissue paper when folding and see if that works and maybe you can skip the ironing on cruise next time. Do you have the packing cubes? I resisted them at first but being Type A and efficient, I wouldnt pack any other way. They really work.

I travel for work at least once a month, so I've become pretty good at eliminating the need to iron while traveling. Here's what I do:

1. Lay item out flat and put in one of those plastic bags from the dry cleaner

2. Instead of folding it to pack, roll it up. The plastic will help keep it smooth.

3. Hang up upon arrival and spray with a water bottle (or wrinkle releaser) very liberally. If there's deep wrinkle, really wet it. Smooth with your hands.

4. Let dry. If there are still wrinkles, use a steamy bathroom.

Works like a charm for me! Of course, make sure it's okay for your fabrics to get wet.

Why not try asking the dry cleaner to clean and fold them for you and possibly use tissue paper when folding and see if that works and maybe you can skip the ironing on cruise next time. Do you have the packing cubes? I resisted them at first but being Type A and efficient, I wouldnt pack any other way. They really work.

I didn't really plan on using the dry cleaners any time soon. I have a diy dry cleaning kit I use at home that works great and is a fraction of the price. What are packing cubes? I've never heard of them.