How many CDNs are still cruising with the low dollar

NOSaints1

Maybe an equally interesting question is how many are currently booking cruises, Canadian or not, given the financial market meltdown.

Maybe, but that's not what this thread is about. The Cdn $$ has tanked against the greenback and really has nothing to do with your question. Suggest you start another thread with that question.

Actually, and maybe I am wrong, but I think the two thoughts are the same. We have a cruise booked that we paid for a year ago. Obviously we are going to enjoy that one, but are we going to book another? Not a chance! I can only imagine the drop in reservations based on the loss of Canadian travellers. Time will tell, but the cruise lines will have to offer some compensation to us Canadians in order to get us to cruise with the low dollar. The majority of us save all year long for these holidays and value our money. Actually I feel sorry for the locals on the islands who really rely on our extra spending.

Do you think the US price is comparable to the CDN price? Is it better to book with/without the perks?

Depends if you are elite or not and if you are a heavy drinker

With elite Perks , we get a good cup of coffee in the morning and some drinks at night which is enough for us

So we do not really need the drink package

We are Brits and took a holiday in September 2012 across the American Northwest that included British Columbia and Alberta. We flew into Seattle, as Vancouver was so much more expensive, car hire was 40% more for the same car than in the US. The hotels were also 35-40 % more expensive than the comparible US hotels, eating out again similar higher prices. The Canadian dollar devaluation was long overdue and probably now at a more realistic level to that of other world currencies.

Just cancelled our cruise for April. Even though the cruise was booked in 2014 the incidentals that are not paid for add up to more than we would pay on any vacation. Celebrity has also priced themselves out of our vacation budget. We will return to another line when we return to cruising.

We are Brits and took a holiday in September 2012 across the American Northwest that included British Columbia and Alberta. We flew into Seattle, as Vancouver was so much more expensive, car hire was 40% more for the same car than in the US. The hotels were also 35-40 % more expensive than the comparible US hotels, eating out again similar higher prices. The Canadian dollar devaluation was long overdue and probably now at a more realistic level to that of other world currencies.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The devaluation of the CDN dollar does not affect the price of things except of course to foreign exchange. The car rental and hotel rates do not change. Restaurants will not reduce their prices. The cost of living is very high in Vancouver and is commensurate with the area's desirability.

Oceania is offering some cost reductions to Canadians these days, but, although I love their product, their cruises are pricey. Don't know if any other lines are catering to Canadians in this way.

Oceania includes air...is this still costly? Haven't cruised with O but are considering them.

Depends if you are elite or not and if you are a heavy drinker

With elite Perks , we get a good cup of coffee in the morning and some drinks at night which is enough for us

So we do not really need the drink package

We are elite but have never had a 'good' cup of coffee....or the squeezed orange juice some have said they enjoy. Where is this? I'm thinking it's not in the Oceanview but in bistro or Michaels? Or do you just give your passcard to a server in Oceanview and request juice or select coffee?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The devaluation of the CDN dollar does not affect the price of things except of course to foreign exchange. The car rental and hotel rates do not change. Restaurants will not reduce their prices. The cost of living is very high in Vancouver and is commensurate with the area's desirability.

How ridiculous, with devaluation every cost less to a foreign visitor to Canada, simple economics.

We are elite but have never had a 'good' cup of coffee....or the squeezed orange juice some have said they enjoy. Where is this? I'm thinking it's not in the Oceanview but in bistro or Michaels? Or do you just give your passcard to a server in Oceanview and request juice or select coffee?

As elite you get the perk of continental breakfast with much better coffee and OJ in Tuscan Grill, don't know what you are missing.............!!!!!!!!

Oceania includes air...is this still costly? Haven't cruised with O but are considering them.

The plus side of that though is if you decline the air you get a credit in US$ and then can book your own bit Canadian. It's a bit of a savings. The cruise I was looking at came with an $1,100 US credit if we didn't take the air. Easy peasy to get go Europe in September for under $1,500 Cdn. We're paying $1,200 this a september.

This post doesn't make sense. We're an extremely expensive city. That has nothing to do with our current currency fluctuations. It might now be a bit cheaper for a Brit to visit and definitely an American but it doesn't help the rest of our visitors. We are and always will be an expensive city to stay in and fly into.

No the damn Conservatives.

So what's causing this low dollar? Is it the damn Liberals?

Neither, although I personally feel the Liberals won't help improve it.

Canada is unfortunately tied to petroleum fluctuations and now that the oil producing countries have dropped their shorts it's dragging down the whole Canadian economy. It can also be argued that the strength of the US $ is the real issue given the Euro is also down similar amounts as well.

Neither, although I personally feel the Liberals won't help improve it.

Canada is unfortunately tied to petroleum fluctuations and now that the oil producing countries have dropped their shorts it's dragging down the whole Canadian economy. It can also be argued that the strength of the US $ is the real issue given the Euro is also down similar amounts as well.

The weak Cdn $ should be boosting our export sales; apparently it'll take time for this to work its way through to the economic bottom line. Americans will have lots to spend when they visit the 'great white north' which is beautifully green during all the seasons except winter...LOL.

We are on a TA this spring to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary. All paid (airfare, cruise and tips) in Cdn. dollars but with not much OBC. Had we thought about it a couple of months ago, we could have purchased additional OBC at a better rate.

We'll take advantage of Elite status for drinks at cocktail hour, and watch our spending onboard.

Since this may go on for a couple of years - probably will do land vacations in Canada after this trip for the next while.

We did consider Oceania for this special trip but since the final price was still in US dollars, we're happy we stayed with Celebrity.

We booked our Hawaiian cruise a little over a year ago on board the Connie and booked most of our excursions 8 months ago. If we were to book our C2 cabin today it would cost $5300 dollars more......that makes it more then twice the price we paid. I cannot blame the drastic increase on the low dollar alone...there has to be another reason in my opinion. Regardless, we will monitor the prices and see if we can get any deals. If not we will be staying in Canada.

We booked our upcoming April cruise well over one year ago. The final payment with the exchange from Canadian dollar to American was quite unsettling. Now our excursions will need to be limited. This situation along with Celebrity's many new changes that tend to be more costly, along with the deteriorating style and classiness has resulted in a Celebrity that we no longer know. Until the exchange improves cruising will be scaled down. Any future cruises will likely be to another company that still maintains what Celebrity has eliminated. Shame.

How ridiculous, with devaluation every cost less to a foreign visitor to Canada, simple economics.

What a point of view.

Don't you think that it is more serious that all imported goods cost the Canadian much more now? Staples such as food is the most serious example.

Supermarket prices are horrendous.