Confused about the Beverage Package Perk

bboop51

This is our first time sailing on NCL. We are sailing in the Breakaway in February and got the Ultimate Beverage Package included as part of the deal. I am reading the FAQs and I see this now

"What are Promotional Service Charges?

Promotional services charges are the gratuities for onboard crew that are part of the Ultimate Beverage and Ultimate Dining Package. If you select one of those choices, a promotional service charge will be added to your final amount due. "

Based on some complaints I've seen here and there I am wondering if folks ave been charged a service charge (or tax) for their "free" beverage package. I hate surprises. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you for the responses. I checked my original invoice and the final paid bill and there is no separate line item for 18% or any extra charge. It just says it includes the Ultimate Beverage Pkg at the top of my invoice. Hmm.

The extra 18% is a new charge depending on when you booked. Not quite sure when the change was made.

We booked in August 2015 for February 2015 and the extra charge is not payable.

If you do a new mock booking, you will see the 18% charge for the 'free' beverage and dining packages.

Depending on where you sail from, there may be a small sales tax charge - In New York it was payable for the first couple of hours after sail-away but was only a very small amount.

Pete.

OK now I get it. We booked early April. So we're good. I guess we'll be charged the tax for drinks while in port in the US, which I've seen. No problem. Now all we're left with is figuring out the parking or alternative method of getting to the port. $40 a day for parking :eek: is quite a bit of sticker shock when you used to leaving from Bayonne. In fact we have always gotten a free parking pass from Celebrity the last two years, so this is quite something.

I suspect this will be our first and last trip out of Manhattan.

OK now I get it. We booked early April. So we're good. I guess we'll be charged the tax for drinks while in port in the US, which I've seen. No problem. Now all we're left with is figuring out the parking or alternative method of getting to the port. $40 a day for parking :eek: is quite a bit of sticker shock when you used to leaving from Bayonne. In fact we have always gotten a free parking pass from Celebrity the laswhat'st two years, so this is quite something.

I suspect this will be our first and last trip out of

Manhattan.

Leaving out of Manhattan gives you a beautiful ride past the Ny skyline. There are also many other options for transportation to pier, ferry, bus, train, etc where are you coming from?

I see you're in Newtown, I'm near Valley Foge. Im taking Amtrak up to Penn Station. I still haven't decided if I'll go the day before or the morning of the cruise. I'm like you as soon as I saw the parking charge :eek: no way was I driving and parking.

Check the East Coast departure board. For other options, there are a few places you can stay and park in NJ for the length of the cruise which is cheaper

Leaving out of Manhattan gives you a beautiful ride past the Ny skyline. There are also many other options for transportation to pier, ferry, bus, train, etc where are you coming from?

Bucks County, PA.. No close bus or ferry. Our train option is New Jersey Transit.

Edited by bboop51

I see you're in Newtown, I'm near Valley Foge. Im taking Amtrak up to Penn Station. I still haven't decided if I'll go the day before or the morning of the cruise. I'm like you as soon as I saw the parking charge :eek: no way was I driving and parking.

Check the East Coast departure board. For other options, there are a few places you can stay and park in NJ for the length of the cruise which is cheaper

We're in Newtown (Bucks County) our train option is New Jersey Transit. I've heard with luggage (for two) it's not a great choice and I am not light packer. I'm still looking into the stay, park ride, but when I add the ride back from the port, the hotel and extra night of dog sitting, I'm not sure it will be cheaper than the port parking. We had really committed to the train until reading it about issues with luggage. In fairness it is basically a commuter train. We were so spoiled by going to Bayonne.

We're in Newtown (Bucks County) our train option is New Jersey Transit. I've heard with luggage (for two) it's not a great choice and I am not light packer. I'm still looking into the stay, park ride, but when I add the ride back from the port, the hotel and extra night of dog sitting, I'm not sure it will be cheaper than the port parking. We had really committed to the train until reading it about issues with luggage. In fairness it is basically a commuter train. We were so spoiled by going to Bayonne.

Why not use Amtrak from 30th Street in Philly? I know it would be coming south to go North but you can check luggage. You can also check if there is another stop closer to you. For example I can actually pick up the Keystone line train in Paoli whcih then goes to 30th street and up to NYC.

I understand being spoiled with Bayonne, that is such an easy trip.

Why not use Amtrak from 30th Street in Philly? I know it would be coming south to go North but you can check luggage. You can also check if there is another stop closer to you. For example I can actually pick up the Keystone line train in Paoli whcih then goes to 30th street and up to NYC.

I understand being spoiled with Bayonne, that is such an easy trip.

It's an interesting consideration. Although driving though Philly from up here is nightmare anymore due what seems to be 24/7 construction. There is no other stop that I know of. I will check. Thanks for the suggestion. I did see some cheaper places to park (near the port). We are also looking into them. We thought about the limo/car service but we can't find one with a decent review/and with a price to make it worth our while.

You could drive up to Bethlehem Pa and take direct bus to port, parking at the bus company is cheap and bus drops off and picks you up at the port. I think about a hour to Bethlehem and then about a hour and a half on nice comfortable coach with WIFI. Transbridge lines look them up on Internet if interested.

You could drive up to Bethlehem Pa and take direct bus to port, parking at the bus company is cheap and bus drops off and picks you up at the port. I think about a hour to Bethlehem and then about a hour and a half on nice comfortable coach with WIFI. Transbridge lines look them up on Internet if interested.

That would an awesome solution but Bethlehem is more like an an hour and a half from us it makes the journey very long. That said, I did look up Transbridge and it looks like they may have some closer departure spots. I will look into that. Thanks !!!

Super Trans PA or Daves best would be 2 shared van options for you. Should run about 250 roundtrip for the two of you. That would save you about 100 over driving, tolls, gas and parking.

I have not heard if Super Trans PA, so I'll check them out, but these days Daves gets awful reviews. I have not seen anyone recommend them. I used to take Dave's to the airport all the time, when I traveled for work. They were OK, if I fibbed about the time I had to be there, otherwise it always seems to be a close shave. Thanks.

I have not heard if Super Trans PA, so I'll check them out, but these days Daves gets awful reviews. I have not seen anyone recommend them. I used to take Dave's to the airport all the time, when I traveled for work. They were OK, if I fibbed about the time I had to be there, otherwise it always seems to be a close shave. Thanks.

I was excited about Super Trans. They were even located in Bucks County, the price was right but then... http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-trans-bensalem :eek: too many bad reviews for it be fluke.

This is our first time sailing on NCL. We are sailing in the Breakaway in February and got the Ultimate Beverage Package included as part of the deal. I am reading the FAQs and I see this now

If you select one of those choices, a promotional service charge will be added to your final amount due. "

Your account will be charged 18% on the NCL "value" of the beverage package. Not a gratuity on the actual drinks you receive. So if you have a day with one alcoholic drink you will be charged a lot for "gratuities". You might as well have as many and as expensive drinks as possible. Because you are paying up front for having the max.

If you select one of those choices, a promotional service charge will be added to your final amount due. "

Your account will be charged 18% on the NCL "value" of the beverage package. Not a gratuity on the actual drinks you receive. So if you have a day with one alcoholic drink you will be charged a lot for "gratuities". You might as well have as many and as expensive drinks as possible. Because you are paying up front for having the max.

Thanks, I think we figured out we booked before the 18% charge came into effect. We booked in April. It looks like we got lucky there :p

Not accurate at all. You pay the gratuities now when you book. Since they booked before the change, they are not charged. I booked last November for 2017-- I did a double promo and have gratuities for both dining and drinks package. It is not paid on board.

I also sailed last year from NYC with a paid drinks package-- the first thing I did when I boarded was get a drink and they rang it up after we sailed (kept track on paper when they saw the sticker). No taxes.

Not accurate at all. You pay the gratuities now when you book. Since they booked before the change, they are not charged. I booked last November for 2017-- I did a double promo and have gratuities for both dining and drinks package. It is not paid on board.

I also sailed last year from NYC with a paid drinks package-- the first thing I did when I boarded was get a drink and they rang it up after we sailed (kept track on paper when they saw the sticker). No taxes.

From what I gather, it's taxes when in Port. Someone on one of the reviews complained. I presume when in Port in Florida if we order drinks we'll be charged tax. If we are, we are. I'm on vacation, I'm going to quibble about change. It was 18% I was concerned about. Thanks for chiming in :D.

From what I gather, it's taxes when in Port. Someone on one of the reviews complained. I presume when in Port in Florida if we order drinks we'll be charged tax. If we are, we are. I'm on vacation, I'm going to quibble about change. It was 18% I was concerned about. Thanks for chiming in :D.

Yes-- I WAS talking about taxes in port. Specifically in NYC, the port that you originally asked about. I had a drink in port and was not charged the taxes.

Edited by denatravels