Freestyle Cruising on NCL

grandmarnnurse

I am booked on the Getaway for 2017, and I would like to know how freestyle cruising works. Can you go into any dining room at anytime you feel like going, or do you have to make reservations ahead? Is there no set seating times? Also, I understand that I will not have to pack formal wear. Is this accurate?

I am booked on the Getaway for 2017, and I would like to know how freestyle cruising works. Can you go into any dining room at anytime you feel like going, or do you have to make reservations ahead? Is there no set seating times? Also, I understand that I will not have to pack formal wear. Is this accurate?

That is the concept but thats not how it works, lol. If you want specialty dining you need reservations although you may get in but not when you want to. Its not like other lines where its 6:30 and 8:30 seatings, you are free to dine whenever you want. Some restaurants its nice to make a reservation at to diminish the wait time. The illusionarium dinner is reserved times though. You don't need formal wear unless you want to wear formal wear. It more of casual dress at dinner, but you won't be out of place if your dressed up, there's usually a variety of dress. I generally make my reservations if I make them at all depending on the day, the port, and what shows I am going to. Hope that helps happy cruising

You can eat in the regular dining rooms anytime you want but be prepared to wait for a table, especially at busier times. They give you a buzzer and you wait out in the hall or lounge for a table like any regular land based restaurant. You definitely need reservations at the Specialty places.

You won't need any formal wear and anything close to it.

There are very few restrictions on dress and no jacket/tie required (but certainly permitted) for gents. No gowns or the like needed for ladies.

That is the concept but thats not how it works, lol. If you want specialty dining you need reservations although you may get in but not when you want to. Its not like other lines where its 6:30 and 8:30 seatings, you are free to dine whenever you want. Some restaurants its nice to make a reservation at to diminish the wait time. The illusionarium dinner is reserved times though. You don't need formal wear unless you want to wear formal wear. It more of casual dress at dinner, but you won't be out of place if your dressed up, there's usually a variety of dress. I generally make my reservations if I make them at all depending on the day, the port, and what shows I am going to. Hope that helps happy cruising

Yes, thank you! That helps a great deal! So, depending on how my day goes, and when I choose to eat, just call a reserve a certain time in the main dining room. Now--another question. I know that there are three different dining rooms. Do they all have the same dinner menu daily? I know on traditional cruise lines with set dinner times, the menu is the same for all of their main dining rooms. I also understand that there are other complimentary dining options on this ship, also. Would any one want to give me info on them? Once again, thank you for your response.

Yes, thank you! That helps a great deal! So, depending on how my day goes, and when I choose to eat, just call a reserve a certain time in the main dining room. Now--another question. I know that there are three different dining rooms. Do they all have the same dinner menu daily? I know on traditional cruise lines with set dinner times, the menu is the same for all of their main dining rooms. I also understand that there are other complimentary dining options on this ship, also. Would any one want to give me info on them? Once again, thank you for your response.

Reservations may not be made in the main dining room unless you are dining with a large number of passengers. While reservations aren't required in specialty (for charge) restaurants they may be made there. O'Sheehans has some tasty food from what I've read and the buffet is, well, the buffet (I do like buffet and was happy with the one on the Gem but I know that many people don't like them).

You can make reservations for a few of the main dining rooms and for just two people. I just did that for the Getaway. You can also go to these same dining rooms and just walk up and be seated, maybe with just a short wait. Everything depends on the time of year. I imagine times like spring break have longer waits although many families eat in the buffet.

You can make reservations for a few of the main dining rooms and for just two people. I just did that for the Getaway. You can also go to these same dining rooms and just walk up and be seated, maybe with just a short wait. Everything depends on the time of year. I imagine times like spring break have longer waits although many families eat in the buffet.

Good to know, thanks for the clarification.