Oslo?

jeanlyon

We are going to Oslo on Fred Olsen in May. I have tried the tourism sites, but the Royal Palace is not open until June. The only place that looks interesting is Akershuis Fortress. Anybody got ideas? We are there overnight.

We are going to Oslo on Fred Olsen in May. I have tried the tourism sites, but the Royal Palace is not open until June. The only place that looks interesting is Akershuis Fortress. Anybody got ideas? We are there overnight.

Oslo, while not as " famous " as other cities in Europe, is really quite great.

We visited in 2013 and will visit again in July.

I highly recommend the Oslo Pass. It gives you access to free public transportation ( trams, buses, ferries.. All very easy to use) and entrance to many museums and attractions.

We first visited the City Hall. Really beautiful and interesting.3c9a5d4a9998665403342292c41d1669.jpg

Mind you, I had my three kids with me and they thought it was great ( a vote of confidence for sure)

Then we visited the Nobel Peace Center. Nice, but no need to stay a long time.

We then took the ferry 91 ( I believe) to Bygdøy and headed to the cool Viking Museum. Really an excellent museum.

b01adf4ff4f70fe9314082c434d251f6.jpg

Oslo's tourist area is quite compact and easy to get around on your own and the museums are relatively small so you can see a lot in one day.

After the Viking Museum, we visited the Norwegian Folk Museum. This is an amazing place that gives you a glimpse into Norwegian history and culture. It is a beautiful place and so nice to walk around. It is quite big.211c0e8c302b1d786b8cb6829194c98d.jpg

As you can see, we had a sunny , warm day in Oslo. A bit unusual.

We then got a bus and headed to the highlight of our visit, Vigeland Park. It is so amazing, we will visit again in July. Stunning sculptures and gorgeous grounds.

11c134541f18f9dc53557d613cbf7737.jpg

Here is a photo of my daughter imitating a scupture ( a ritual around Europe , lol)

974d2ebc8691d0a48c3526769fcfcee2.jpg

We didn't visit the Akerhaus Fortress ... Maybe this time. It is a lovely structure.e87d28aea21d5a3fa790efd92b9a5104.jpg

Enjoy Oslo!

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/museums/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by brazilgirl

I agree with brazilgirl. She has pretty much listed the same sites that I visited in Oslo. Take some time to pre-plan your transportation options to visit these sites and you'll be in for a very pleasant day. I enjoyed Oslo quite a bit. On my next trip, I want to add a visit to the Opera House, at least for some pictures.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I'm kinda stuck on what to do in Oslo myself. We'll be in port 10a-11p... sculpture park for sure and prob Akerhaus Fortress since it's practically next to the cruise dock. None of the other stuff really interest me however I'm okay with perfect weather and walking around town. There is a food tour that I'm interested in with http://foodtours.eu/

I spent 3 days in Oslo in May, 2015. I can recommend all the museums on Bygdøy...this includes the Viking Ship Museum, the Norwegian Cultural Museum, the Kon Tiki Museum, and the Fram/Gjoa museum. I sent a day just doing on the museums there on a rainy day, and took the bus from the central train station (near the pier) and back.

I did get the Oslo Pass, and found it invaluable. All the museums are covered, as well as all public transportation (trolley, bus, ferry, subway).

I can also recommend the Vigeland sculpture park. Was there on a glorious sunny day. The Oslo Operahouse is also beautiful and open for tours.

The Royal Palace grounds have lovely gardens, and there is a great park that leads up to the palace with lots of shops and restaurants, all the way to the Norwegian Parliament building which is also very interesting.

Consider an Oslo fjord cruise. You can take one that is 2-3 hours or one that is a full day.

There are several art museums downtown as well if that is an interest of yours.

We have been in Oslo twice before and would like to go to the Vigeland Sculpture Park on our port stop this time. Need advice on the best way to get there and back from the dock. Are taxis available at the dock and then at the park?

Thanks.

We have been in Oslo twice before and would like to go to the Vigeland Sculpture Park on our port stop this time. Need advice on the best way to get there and back from the dock. Are taxis available at the dock and then at the park?

Thanks.

We went by tram ( very easy) and came back by taxi ( expensive) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to Oslo in 2013 and, additional to the above mentioned sights I can recommend to visit Holmenkollen Ski Tower and Museum. The tower is quite spectacular and offers great views all over Oslo and the bay.

Getting there is simple, you need to catch Metro #1 direction Frognerseteren and Exit at Holmenkollen. From the Station it is a 15 Minute walk up the hill.

• 1 month later...

Even though the palace isn't open you still might want to see change of guards which is at 1:30. Folk museum has a stave church. I was working on Oslo a few days ago as we are going in June. I know somebody in Oslo and this is what she recommended to me to do and she said this was very doable for one day--I have of course told her the things I want to see. We are also thinking about doing a night cruise.

I think if I were you. I would start at Frogner park. There is a lot to see, quite spectatular really.. I would start early I think it's open quite early. Have breakfast, Frogner park (1.5 hours I think. #12 trikk. you can walk back to the trikk but take the 20 buss instead. that will get you to the 30 buss to Folkmuseum.- by 10:30 at the latest (if you hit Frogner at 8-8:30) easily one buss back and a short walk to change to the trikk to The palace. See the changing of the guards. Walk down to National Theatre (it's nice architecture, (easy walk, just a few blocks). from there walk down (another 3 blocks) to Aker Brygge and the water front. Actually, the fortress is across the street, so I would go there and take in the view,

I hope this helps. I'm into landscape photography so I see beauty everywhere and you will too!! Have fun!!

Linda

Edited by linderbelle

Lots of options to consider for Oslo. People will sometimes ask how Oslo compares to Stockholm and Copenhagen. Much of the difference is about the contrast of Oslo's more contemporary great art/design . . . versus . . . the deeper depth of history/design and royal background associated with both Copenhagen and Stockholm. Both of these capitals of Sweden and Denmark have had much longer recent histories of power and wealth, while Oslo is "newer" in many ways.

Frogner Park is the largest park in the city and covers over 110 acres and the sculpture installation is the world's largest sculpture park made by a single artist. Frogner Park is the most popular tourist attraction of Norway, with between one to two million visitors each year. Hours? It is open to the public at all times. 24/7!! Free!! Can't beat those hours and the price. It is priceless!!

More on Vigeland/Oslo art: Gustav Vigeland's astonishing figures show the whole range of human life presented in stone and metal. There are nearly 200 sculptures, comprising 600 granite or bronze figures, in the park's large landscapes. All were designed by the Norwegian artist, whose museum, with over 1600 more statues (and his ashes) is just five minutes' walk away. Vigeland also designed the park's layout and setting. He was described as versatile, obsessive and abrasive. It took years of debate before Oslo Municipal Council, in 1922, approved plans for a sculpture park which would express the struggles and aspirations of humanity from birth to death as the artist desired. The result is astonishing in concept, amazing in execution and setting. Walk through the big iron gates and you're on a broad avenue leading to a bridge on whose parapets are mounted. The children shown are more conventional and appealing. Across the bridge rises a big fountain, in the middle of which a ring of giants supports a huge bronze bowl. Like everything else in the park, it's large in scale. From its center soars the monolith, a nearly 40'-high slab of Norwegian granite weighing 180 tons. The 121 writhing, creeping, struggling figures on its surface took three carvers 15 years to complete. There's no denying the drama here.

Below are some of my visuals from our visit here and areas that we enjoyed to sample Oslo. The western coast of Norway, including Bergen, are detailed below in my live/blog. In the future, all need to see these fjords, historic cities, great scenic settings, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 195,715 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the main, historic Akershus Fortress/Castle next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. It successfully survived all sieges, primarily by Swedish forces. It surrendered without combat to Germans in 1940 when the Norwegian government evacuated the capital in the face of the German invasions of Denmark and Norway. The very interesting and moving Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

At the National Museum in Oslo, there is Munch art, including one of his two famed Scream painting that are in this Norway capital. At the separate Munch Museum, just a little distance away from central Oslo, there is the other Scream painting in Oslo. There are many other of his painting at this museum by the famed artist.:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7, so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Here is Oslo’s City Hall exterior and one of its large interior spaces where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded annually on December 10 each year. This structure houses the city council and city administration, plus art studios and galleries. The construction started in 1931 with the main structure completed in 1936. The German invasion of Norway in 1940 caused construction to stop, and it was not resumed until 1947. This City Hall was official opened in 1950. Its characteristic architecture, artworks and the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony makes it one of Oslo's most famous buildings. The roof of the eastern tower has a 49-bell carillon which plays every hour. This City Hall is situated in central downtown Oslo dramatically overlooking the scenic harbor area.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

Here is a view of the Norway Parliament Building in Oslo or the “Storting” (meaning "the great assembly"). It is a unicameral parliament with 169 members, elected every four years. Parliament was established by their Constitution of Norway in 1814 and has since 1866 met in this building with its unique curved front section. Once the bill has reached the King in Council, the bill must be signed by the monarch and countersigned by the prime minister. It then becomes Norwegian law. The King has the right to withhold Royal Assent from any bill passed, but this has never been done since the dissolution of the union with Sweden in 1905 that restored Norway to full independence.:

OsloParliamentRound.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hey cruisers,

would it be worth visiting Viking museum if we are doing Vasa in Stockholm beforehand?

Are there any tours based around Jo Nesbo books - I love them! Harry Hole.

I assume you mean the Viking Ships? If so, I would say, "Yes if you're interested in Viking history." The Vasa ship is a warship from the 1600s, rather than a Viking vessel. Aside from them both featuring boats, there's not much similarity between the two!

As for Jo Nesbø, depending on the day you're in port, you might be able to join a Harry Hole guided walk. Search the visitoslo.com website for dates and info.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=1078366&Guided-walk-No-Eng--Harry-Hole-goes-east

Oslo Guidebureau offers a tour on Tuesdays at 5pm, but they may be able to offer a private tour if you contact them:

http://osloguidebureau.no/english/2015/12/18/31-12-harry-hole/

Alternatively, here's a comprehensive blog post that could help you plan your own:

http://tomsweeneytravels.blogspot.no/2012/02/see-hole-world-in-weekend.html?m=1

...PS - I've heard that if you find yourself near Majoratuen, you should grab a coffee at the nearby Kaffebrenneriet. ;)

I assume you mean the Viking Ships? If so, I would say, "Yes if you're interested in Viking history." The Vasa ship is a warship from the 1600s, rather than a Viking vessel. Aside from them both featuring boats, there's not much similarity between the two!

As for Jo Nesbø, depending on the day you're in port, you might be able to join a Harry Hole guided walk. Search the visitoslo.com website for dates and info.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=1078366&Guided-walk-No-Eng--Harry-Hole-goes-east

Oslo Guidebureau offers a tour on Tuesdays at 5pm, but they may be able to offer a private tour if you contact them:

http://osloguidebureau.no/english/2015/12/18/31-12-harry-hole/

Alternatively, here's a comprehensive blog post that could help you plan your own:

http://tomsweeneytravels.blogspot.no/2012/02/see-hole-world-in-weekend.html?m=1

...PS - I've heard that if you find yourself near Majoratuen, you should grab a coffee at the nearby Kaffebrenneriet. ;)

Thanks for responding, we don't have a long time in port so think will skip the Viking museum as really want to visit the Vigeland park and akerhus fortress and wander the main streets.

I spoke to the guide bureau but their private tour is too expensive for us. I will check out that blog.

Does Schroeders exist? An early morning beer in the shoes of detective Hole might be in order

Thanks for responding, we don't have a long time in port so think will skip the Viking museum as really want to visit the Vigeland park and akerhus fortress and wander the main streets.

I spoke to the guide bureau but their private tour is too expensive for us. I will check out that blog.

Does Schroeders exist? An early morning beer in the shoes of detective Hole might be in order

Yes, they open at noon.

https://goo.gl/maps/yrDqn7W7BgF2