Carnival flight program: change of flight time

murrayla

My friend and I just recently book a carnival cruise on the splendor leaving Miami on the 15 of May this year. When we were booking we use their fly to port option where our tickets were booked right along with the cruise. The agent assured us that we would be on the earliest flight possible which turned out to be a 9:51-1:07 flight. Now I'm concern about the time we will be getting in being so closed to the time when the ship leaves. Is is possible to asked carnival to book us and earlier flight with our package or is the flight at a good time.

You need to talk your TA or Carnival - whoever you booked with. But before calling, check to see what earlier flights are available and what is available the day before. We always fly in at least one day early. No point in starting a vacation with a very stressful situation.

My friend and I just recently book a carnival cruise on the splendor leaving Miami on the 15 of May this year. When we were booking we use their fly to port option where our tickets were booked right along with the cruise. The agent assured us that we would be on the earliest flight possible which turned out to be a 9:51-1:07 flight. Now I'm concern about the time we will be getting in being so closed to the time when the ship leaves. Is is possible to asked carnival to book us and earlier flight with our package or is the flight at a good time.

Provided there are no delays due to weather or mechanical issues, you should be all right. When booking your airfare through Carnival (or any cruise line), the cruise line knows you have to be there by a certain time. I know that many first time cruisers book their airfare through the cruise line, as a matter of convenience. Certainly you could call Carnival and express your concerns about the flight's arrival time, and ask if there is an earlier flight. However, if that earlier flight is full, you may not have an option. The last time we booked cruise and airfare together, which was many years ago, the plane had mechanical issues, so the flight was delayed until the airline (Delta) could get a replacement. Consequently, we were late getting to Miami and missed the ship. We caught up to it in Nassau. Ever since then, we've booked the airfare separately, either on the day before, or as early as possible on the morning of the cruise.

You should have your TA contact Carnival for an earlier flight.

We always fly into the embarkation at least 2 or 3 days early.

There is a group of us who watch some of the Ft Lauderdale webcams to see ships sail away. The last few days quite a few people missed their ships because of bad weather in Florida and delayed flights.

Sure, you can ask Carnival....however, when you use their flights options they use the cheapest air routing possible and the 9:51 may only be that option. You might be able to take an early flight (air deviation); however, you might have the pay the difference in fare cost since the early flight might be more expensive. You will just have to ask and see. However, since the ship sails at 4PM and you have to be checked in by 3PM you have a two hour window to get to the pier so you should be OK. Personally, I never fly in the same day as the cruise because of weather and flight delays so even an earlier flight might not guarantee you getting to the pier in time. This is why purchasing travel insurance is so very critical if you fly in the day of the cruise. It protects you in case of travel delays and miss ships. If you were to miss the ship Carnival would assist you getting down to the first port, but that's still a hassle and you'll miss part of your cruise.

A couple of things to think about. You made a rookie mistake, but that's okay. We've all been there.

1. Can you call and ask?

Yes, you may. However, be aware that there will most likely be additional charges. Most common will be an "Air Deviation". A few years ago, that was $35 per person.

Plus, you may be asked to pay the difference in airfare costs between what you currently paid and what the new flight may cost.

2. regarding the possibility of your current flight being late and you missing the ship? Yes, Carnival "may assist" you in catching up to the ship in the next port,,, however,,, if that port is a foreign port,,, a passport is "Required" for you to fly to that port. having the passport would be on you not on Carnival.

3. Carnival just buys the ticket. They do not get you seats. You may be able to log onto the airlines website and get seats yourself.

Experienced Cruisers Rules

1, Book air travel yourself.

2. Always fly in a day early.