Sunshine Dry Dock May 8th-20th

DDNY

All good news EXCEPT the American Table. While I enjoyed our cruise last FEB I will say I did NOT enjoy the ship. It's old and showed it, even with the multi-million dollar upgrades. Adding more cabins/staterooms simply takes away from public areas and it showed,.

We actually loved the ship last summer. Ship was full but didn't seem crowded at all. There was plenty to do, great food and also lots of live music. The ship also looked great! It surprises me to hear people say the ship is too crowded:confused:

We were on the Sunshine last March and will be going on her again the end of April on a 9 day Journey's cruise - Love the ship.

Are there some layout issues due to the refurb from Destiny?

Yep, but nothing to stop me from sailing her again.

I think the updates more than make up for any issues.

(I did not sail on her when she was the Destiny however, FYI)

I would book her again and again if the price/itn were what I wanted.

Just my two cents worth.

Andy

• 2 months later...

39 days u til we board for 10 days of relaxation [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]....It may not be perfect but it beats being at work!!!![emoji484][emoji484][emoji484][emoji484][emoji484][emoji484][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji274][emoji898][emoji898][emoji898][emoji898]

We were on the Sunshine this past January in a Cat 8A balcony, 6344. There was a mini fridge sitting on the floor under the vanity area and plugged in up on the desk. There were no drinks inside. We saw several other cabins with the same set up.

First we thought it was left over from someone's medical needs, but they left it with us the entire week as well as the second week of our B2B.

Will find out next week if those cabins still have the fridge.

Just off Saturday. She has American Table. Elevators not working, lights on them not working so you couldn't tell if it was going up or down, no ding when the door opened. Limelight (comedy club) is too small. Liquid Lounge too small. Has the issue with deck 3 being galley so you have to go up over back down.

Ship is lovely. Donkey, the CD, was very good.

Dozens and dozens sick (including myself) for last few days on this trip and one before it. Flu, bronchitis, some ended up in hospital.

We were on the Sunshine this past January in a Cat 8A balcony, 6344. There was a mini fridge sitting on the floor under the vanity area and plugged in up on the desk. There were no drinks inside. We saw several other cabins with the same set up.

First we thought it was left over from someone's medical needs, but they left it with us the entire week as well as the second week of our B2B.

Will find out next week if those cabins still have the fridge.

I read a couple other reviews like this, I'm hoping our room will have a fridge as we use it to keep our water bottles cool!

Hi Tandemcruzr, we will be in that same room in June on the Sunshine! How did you like the balcony and area of that room? Can't wait to go on her!

Really liked it. Have had it twice, both on B2Bs. Cabin is very nice. Has an extra closet and a half sofa -- room enough for 2 people to sit and read or watch TV. Balcony is 2x longer than a regular balcony and is a Cat 8A.

You will be next door to an aft wrap and both your cabin and the wrap share a little alcove to enter the cabin. Hard to see on deck plans, but is pretty cool.

We board again tomorrow and will have 6371 on the starboard side for another B2B. And hopefully with the same Steward we had in January.

Enjoy :D

Edited by tandemcruzr

Really liked it. Have had it twice, both on B2Bs. Cabin is very nice. Has an extra closet and a half sofa -- room enough for 2 people to sit and read or watch TV. Balcony is 2x longer than a regular balcony and is a Cat 8A.

You will be next door to an aft wrap and both your cabin and the wrap share a little alcove to enter the cabin. Hard to see on deck plans, but is pretty cool.

We board again tomorrow and will have 6371 on the starboard side for another B2B. And hopefully with the same Steward we had in January.

Enjoy :D

Tandemcruzr; Would love to hear your thoughts on cabin 6371; we have that room booked for our cruise in Feb. Quite curious about size of balcony and whether there is a minifridge!

Just as an FYI and insight into drydock scheduling... Ships go into drydock because there is routing maintence and overhaul on the engine, engine systems and need to have their bottoms cleaned, intake valves, pipes, seachests etc serviced and full underside inspections done...

Drydock is NOT scheduled solely for cosmetic work or refurbishments (decor, upgrades etc). How often a ship is scheduled for dry docks is dictated by the age of the ship. Newer ships do not require the mandatory hull inspection but every 5 years (also calculated by engine running hours) and just like us, as we get older, they require more frequent checkups... So the dry docks are mandated as every 3 years.

Now it is most efficient to do upgrades, new carpets, kitchen equip and any other upgrades that cannot be done while the ship is in service during the drydock since she will have no pax. But technically, those can be done without the ship on the "hard" (aka wet dock) but it all gets crammed into huge drydocks. But the main reason for being up on the hard is for the inspections below the waterline and work that cannot be done while floating...

I'm hoping Carnival surprises us with a little bit something out of this dry dock other then just "engine work". Wishful thinking :D

The buckets in the hallways catching the plumbing leaks falling from the overheads will be replaced, not the plumbing, just the buckets ;)