Sunshine Dry Dock May 8th-20th

DDNY

I thought American Table was supposed to hit early this year, like next month or March? Not til November now?

We sail her in April just before dry dock. All our other cruises have had American Table, so if she doesn't switch before then we will experience our first of the old menus. Both other ships we went on switched a matter of weeks before we boarded, we seem to attract the new menus.

What is American Table?

Anyone have the menu for American table?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did on the sunshine two weeks ago. Not a great experience - American Table. Good food. Not great. The wow factor is gone.

We often had a difficult night finding something to chose from.

For a few months anyway, then up to New York before back in Port Canaveral I "think" by the end of the year.....

We have a cruise scheduled on her in April, 2017 out of Port Canaveral. Not sure when she is getting back in town.

Just as an FYI and insight into drydock scheduling... Ships go into drydock because there is routing maintence and overhaul on the engine, engine systems and need to have their bottoms cleaned, intake valves, pipes, seachests etc serviced and full underside inspections done...

Drydock is NOT scheduled solely for cosmetic work or refurbishments (decor, upgrades etc). How often a ship is scheduled for dry docks is dictated by the age of the ship. Newer ships do not require the mandatory hull inspection but every 5 years (also calculated by engine running hours) and just like us, as we get older, they require more frequent checkups... So the dry docks are mandated as every 3 years.

Now it is most efficient to do upgrades, new carpets, kitchen equip and any other upgrades that cannot be done while the ship is in service during the drydock since she will have no pax. But technically, those can be done without the ship on the "hard" (aka wet dock) but it all gets crammed into huge drydocks. But the main reason for being up on the hard is for the inspections below the waterline and work that cannot be done while floating...

Agree with most of what you say, but I'll pick a few nits.

Even newer ships are required to have hull and underwater inspections "twice in 5 years". Newer ships, that are set up for it from the beginning, can opt for "UWILD (Underwater Inspection in lieu of Drydocking)" inspection by divers, and this is frequently done as it is quite a bit cheaper than drydocking. Once a ship reaches 15 years of age, the UWILD option is generally not allowed. And the schedule is as I've said, "twice in 5 years", not every 3 years.

Diesel engine overhauls are typically done while the ship is in service. A major overhaul, typically every 12000 running hours, can be done in about 2 weeks while the ship continues in service. Most ships have sufficient generator capacity to allow one engine out of service for this period.

Drydocks are not scheduled based on engine running hours, or even propulsion running hours.

I did on the sunshine two weeks ago. Not a great experience - American Table. Good food. Not great. The wow factor is gone.

We often had a difficult night finding something to chose from.

Were one of us who got so sick? Started feeling not so good last sea day. Couldn't eat. Disembarkation screwed up--they forgot about all the Diamond/Platinum's who didn't self assist and started letting off decks 1 through 6! Took 15 days to get over being sick. Others were hospitalized with flu or pneumonia.

Ship is beautiful. Havana Bar area is great. One guy back there could make me soft scrambled eggs perfectly. Cucina is best food on the ship but they don't have spoons! I was told by the chef he doesn't like anyone using spoons.?!?! Saw a manager and asked for a spoon and he responded "great idea" and had some set out.

Donkey, the CD, did a marvelous Motown sing a long. He called it trivia but it quickly deteriorated into a general sing a long with people standing on the stairs and upper level. Long stand! Best fun in a long time.

Only a few areas were crowded feeling--single file out to Guy's. Serenity full at 7am on 2 decks of 3. Didn't like having to go around the galley, spent a lot of extra walking and trying to get into the Comedy Club is a mystery still.

The cost is so much higher than other ships, an OV was over $1500 and a balcony over $2000. Traveling solo can't do that. Cancelled my May, 2017 cruise on her.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow!! We sail on May 21, 2016 out of Charleston so that is wonderful she has had a makeover! Do you know anything about Cabin #10125 Spa Balcony?

I will be in 10124 a month after you; I presume our cabins will be similar, albeit on the opposite sides of the ship. I saw someone had posted a video of 10124 which might give you an idea of the appearance of your cabin --

Maybe it depends on the cabin. I am traveling on Sunshine on 21 June, and I found a video from last November that showed a mini-fridge --

Yea that was a Spa cabin, apparently they have mini-fridges.

I'm not in a Spa cabin :(

On the carnival site for the Sunshine it says the Skybox Sports Lounge (or something like that) is listed as coming soon...could they be adding that in during the dry dock?

They are just phasing out the EA brand. Like they did with ending the agreement with George Lopez for comedy club.. For ships that currently have EA sports bar, will be revamped during dry docks, and for future ships, they will all be called Skybox. Should be the same layout as it is now on the Sunshine, just doing away with the EA, and possibly changing the decor...

They are just phasing out the EA brand. Like they did with ending the agreement with George Lopez for comedy club.. For ships that currently have EA sports bar, will be revamped during dry docks, and for future ships, they will all be called Skybox. Should be the same layout as it is now on the Sunshine, just doing away with the EA, and possibly changing the decor...

We were on the Pride last year with the EA Sports bar and this year with the new Skybox. Exact same everything except the name. Probably the same on all the ships

The Sunshine has broken free of dry dock :D:D and is currently headed north towards Charleston at 22.1 knots. She's a bit north and west of Port St Lucie Florida at 8:15 Friday.

She's due to pick up her next sailing tomorrow in Charleston.

Yea that was a Spa cabin, apparently they have mini-fridges.

I'm not in a Spa cabin :(

We were on the Sunshine in April 2014 in a forward interior cabin on deck7..no fridge.

We were just on the Sunshine again last month on the April 29 Journeys cruise..in another, deck 7 forward interior cabin....we HAD a fridge...we also had a flat panel TV that was not on the previous cruise.

I did have a minor "issue" with the fridge in that it was place where the little stool usually for using the mirror, so the cord for fridge came up over the shelf and plugged into the 230 outlet....not a big deal...worth it to have the fridge...but for some reason a couple of times during cruise, we came back into the cabin after steward service it, and fridge was unplugged...no biggie, we just used fridge to keep water cool...not sure why unplugged unless maybe knocked out during cleaning or something.

So not sure if fridge would be permanent, was thinking maybe during drydock they'd move the cord up under shelf...guess we'll start seeing after Saturday.

The Sunshine has broken free of dry dock :D:D and is currently headed north towards Charleston at 22.1 knots. She's a bit north and west of Port St Lucie Florida at 8:15 Friday.

She's due to pick up her next sailing tomorrow in Charleston.

And then NEXT week, she will pick up ME! So excited. All you folks on this week's sailing, dont mess her up! Lol. Have fun

I did have a minor "issue" with the fridge in that it was place where the little stool usually for using the mirror, so the cord for fridge came up over the shelf and plugged into the 230 outlet....not a big deal...worth it to have the fridge...but for some reason a couple of times during cruise, we came back into the cabin after steward service it, and fridge was unplugged...

We were in 6371 for the 5 day and the Journey cruise. Same with us. Spoke to the steward. Turns out, they use this plug for the vacuum. Never experienced it again. (Wife was keeping cream for her morning tea in the fridge.)

She just had a full makeover at the end of 2012. You would think a ship without 2.0 like Valor would come before sunshine.

I asked Carnival if they could share what was occurring in Dry Dock for the Sunshine, and they answered:

* Routine hotel maintenance

* Cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting, tile work and reupholstering in public areas

* Sports bar re-branded as SKYBOX Sports Bar

No other details were provided. I can report back after I cruise on 21 June.

We were on the Sunshine in April 2014 in a forward interior cabin on deck7..no fridge.

We were just on the Sunshine again last month on the April 29 Journeys cruise..in another, deck 7 forward interior cabin....we HAD a fridge...we also had a flat panel TV that was not on the previous cruise.

I did have a minor "issue" with the fridge in that it was place where the little stool usually for using the mirror, so the cord for fridge came up over the shelf and plugged into the 230 outlet....not a big deal...worth it to have the fridge...but for some reason a couple of times during cruise, we came back into the cabin after steward service it, and fridge was unplugged...no biggie, we just used fridge to keep water cool...not sure why unplugged unless maybe knocked out during cleaning or something.

So not sure if fridge would be permanent, was thinking maybe during drydock they'd move the cord up under shelf...guess we'll start seeing after Saturday.

Yea I heard some other people had the same thing. I am hoping they decide to put these fridges in all the rooms (well at least mine :D). We just use it to keep our water cool too. I guess time will tell!

Anybody going on the Sunshine soon, please keep us posted about the fridge situation :)

On the sunshine right now and yes I have a fridge in my room we have a balcony room on the 6th floor.. the boat is very clean and I don't have a complaint about that. But we suppose to have left at 4 and it's 720pm and we still have not left. The way they had us wait in line just to park and get on.was horrible and I hope we do the go thru that ever again.

On the sunshine right now and yes I have a fridge in my room we have a balcony room on the 6th floor.. the boat is very clean and I don't have a complaint about that. But we suppose to have left at 4 and it's 720pm and we still have not left. The way they had us wait in line just to park and get on.was horrible and I hope we do the go thru that ever again.

Probably another coast guard check . Haha. Had the same issue when we were on the cruise prior to dry dock . We didn't leave until around 630/7