Normandy with Avalon, AMA or Tauck

Wendy The Wanderer

I think the decor is a very personal thing; what you like I may hate and vice versa!

Tauck is all inclusive and AMA seems to becoming all inclusive as well, which is important for some. I personally prefer to pay a lower price and pay for what I choose to do, but that's just my preference. The great thing about the variety of river cruise companies is that you get to choose what works for YOU and not what someone else insists is the only way to go!

I missed where anyone was insisting that there is "only one way to go". My preference for AMA is based on personal taste and experience on multiples lines and boats. It works well for us and is our first choice. That being said, we will continue to try other lines that appeal and will be on Scenic in France in April. Their ships look lovely and the itinerary was very appealing.

I agree that decor is a personal preference. Our Uniworld ship was very luxurious but the overdone French decor was not appealing to us. That being said, there were many elegant details we very much appreciated and we would not hesitate to sail with them again, as long is it aboard one of their ""SS" ships.

FYI, AMA is not all inclusive. Gratuities, laundry and alcohol are not included and I have not read of any plans to change this. Having an all inclusive price is not important to us either and we have no problem paying for drinks and tips and other extras like massage. Tauck and Scenic are fully inclusive, Uniworld is mostly inclusive. The devil is in the details.

Edited by caviargal

One thing is noticed about RCs is that you pay for what you get. With Avalon, which saying its similar to Mariott is a fair assessment. As mentioned the tours are always very good on Avalon. The ships are very well run. You get a very good product and service for the price. However, if you are willing to pay more you will get extra service and extra amenities on more deluxe lines. The tours might include extras such as lunch. For some of us, that is our current lifestyle or maybe we want a once in a lifetime experience. For others, the extras aren't needed or appreciated. Read Host Jazz's stickies and then make an informed decision. I'm trying AMA because hubby wants to try a cruise with many bike rides. Plus the only cabin available were balconies and we are happy with aquarium class. Part of me is excited and the other half is thinking of what I could do with the extra $$$$ this trip is costing. I'm not one for a trip of a lifetime. We are more a lifetime of trips folks :-). Chose one brand and you can always chose another for the next one.

I've read the stickies, thanks. I'm asking for personal experiences. And as someone said, the devil is in the details, and I want to hear about them, as they pertain to this itinerary. I want to hear about intangibles too. I will know better after my September Tauck cruise.

I've read the stickies, thanks. I'm asking for personal experiences. And as someone said, the devil is in the details, and I want to hear about them, as they pertain to this itinerary. I want to hear about intangibles too. I will know better after my September Tauck cruise.

The devil is in the details IF those details matter to you personally. For instance Avalon does meet you with cool wash cloths and cold drinks when you return from a day of touring. On the other hand posters have mentioned gifts received on certain occasions, which I'm sure were lovely, but for me personally, just more "stuff" I don't need. I do know that on the Avalon cruise a pax had a gallstone attack and the CD was very helpful getting him the medical assistance he needed. To me, that is important. I will have to say that since you are starting at the very top, Tauck, you probably will be spoiled, so maybe you want to add Crystal or Scenic which are on the same level as Tauck to consider.

Great reading on this forum. We've done 7 Viking and have 1 Avalon booked this spring. We've been happy with all Viking's ships except Idun (great crew & trip but built too fast/poorly) and all itineraries except southern France (poor docking locations as ship too long, too little time at stops, weak tour choices & poor CD). We were lucky enough to do Viking's Paris to Normandy when it docked very near the Eiffel Tower - wouldn't do it now with docking "outside" Paris. Favorite itineraries were Paris to Normandy (old itinerary) and Duoro (would do it again in a heartbeat). We're excited to try Avalon and we'll go on to Bayeux on our own for five days after.

So far, we like Avalon's deposit timetable vs. Viking but love being able to board Viking earlier if needed and/or stay later to depart if needed. Avalon is much stricter & harder to coordinate with planes/trains, hotels, etc.

Great reading on this forum. We've done 7 Viking and have 1 Avalon booked this spring. We've been happy with all Viking's ships except Idun (great crew & trip but built too fast/poorly) and all itineraries except southern France (poor docking locations as ship too long, too little time at stops, weak tour choices & poor CD). We were lucky enough to do Viking's Paris to Normandy when it docked very near the Eiffel Tower - wouldn't do it now with docking "outside" Paris. Favorite itineraries were Paris to Normandy (old itinerary) and Duoro (would do it again in a heartbeat). We're excited to try Avalon and we'll go on to Bayeux on our own for five days after.

So far, we like Avalon's deposit timetable vs. Viking but love being able to board Viking earlier if needed and/or stay later to depart if needed. Avalon is much stricter & harder to coordinate with planes/trains, hotels, etc.

Interesting, thanks. So you did Paris to Normandy on Viking, but sounds like you're doing it again on Avalon?

Are you saying that all ships dock "outside" of Paris now?

I'm glad to hear you say that about the Douro. We love that part of the world and would love to do this itinerary, and have heard Viking does a very good job of it.

We cruised the Seine in 2015 with several included nights docked in Honfleur, and loved being able to enjoy the evening life there. We had included tours of both Bayeau Tapestry and Bayeau Cathedral with Whisper Vox boxes. We got to walk on Juno and Omaha Beaches and saw Sword and Gold, enjoying shorter bus rides than if we had been in Rouen, Caudebec or Le Havre. Unfortunately this was not on any of the lines acceptable to the OP, so I’ll just move along.

Interesting, thanks. So you did Paris to Normandy on Viking, but sounds like you're doing it again on Avalon?

Are you saying that all ships dock "outside" of Paris now?

Only the Viking longships have to dock outside Paris at Le Pecq. The other cruise lines all dock near the Eiffel Tower. Here are some photos of river ships docked there in September 2015. The first is taken from the Eiffel Tower looking downstream at Ile aux Cygnes in the Seine:

https://parisrivershipdock.shutterfly.com/pictures/15#15

The docked ships are in the upper left corner (on the left bank of the Seine). The second is a close up of the ships -- they look very stubby because of the extreme telephone lens I was using:

https://parisrivershipdock.shutterfly.com/pictures/15#9

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We cruised the Seine in 2015 with several included nights docked in Honfleur, and loved being able to enjoy the evening life there. We had included tours of both Bayeau Tapestry and Bayeau Cathedral with Whisper Vox boxes. We got to walk on Juno and Omaha Beaches and saw Sword and Gold, enjoying shorter bus rides than if we had been in Rouen, Caudebec or Le Havre. Unfortunately this was not on any of the lines acceptable to the OP, so I’ll just move along.

Well, I'm still interested. Was it Vantage by any chance?

Well, I'm still interested. Was it Vantage by any chance?
Yes, Vantage.

I’ll attempt to point out some pros and cons as honestly as I can. In Paris Vantage docked at Quai Andre Citroen (one bridge further than the boats shown in Jazzbeau’s photo from the Eiffel Tower), 5-7 minute walk from Javel RER and Javel-Andre Citroen Metro, then 1 RER stop to Eiffel Tower, 3 to Invalides, 4 to Musee d’Orsay, etc. The Parc Andre Citroen (where the old Citroen factory was) right by the boat dock I found to be very nice. We rafted one day in Paris with a UniWorld boat.

Breakfast and Lunch were almost always buffet; nice cooked-to-order omelets and one or two items which you could order from the kitchen for lunch (but most just stayed with whatever was out). Sit down dinner with several choices of entrees. IIRC included wine with dinner only. There was also a second informal place at the rear of the boat open for lunch and dinner. I won’t claim the food was gourmet, but I thought it was good. No problem getting meals adjusted (such as no sauce) and a galley tour revealed that they kept track (and listed on the menu) a dozen or so items that might cause food allergies (I’d wondered what all those symbols were, but had never asked).

We had two full days docked in Honfleur. One day was a trip to the D-Day beaches – I think our stop at Juno may have been by request, so if that is of special interest let the Tour Director know ahead of time. For real history buffs, more than a day is needed in the area, but this was a good overview. This day included lunch at one of the beaches; so-so, but lots of pretty good wine! The other day docked in Honfleur we were given a no-cost choice of Bayeux or the Caen Peace Memorial; we chose Bayeux.

In 2015 (and I don’t think it has changed) Vantage was still expecting you to tip local guides and bus drivers (Grand Circle eliminated this in 2015). I don’t mind having the big tips (eg boat crew) be my separate responsibility, but having to have change for each daily guy I agree is tedious.

Vantage river trips ALWAYS have 2for1 pricing; I wish they would quit that charade, but it is what it is. Several times a year Vantage packages their Seine cruise with their Soane/Rhone cruise and we did that, getting an additional 5% off plus free air (I’m not trying to sell that, but attempting to give full disclosure). If you’ve never done Vantage and did decide to go that way you would get a modest discount if I referred you.

Vantage is virtually 100% North Americans; I’d like more diversity, but short of buying my own river boat I can’t get everything I want:cool:. I consider Vantage to be First Class, but not Deluxe (even though they put that in their name). I thought the crew was as good as any that I have had in Europe, and that is a pretty high standard. I think Vantage used Whisper Vox; whatever they used worked quite well.

Hope this helps

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

As far as I know, all river ships except the Viking longboats dock in that area. Also AFAIK the hotel most river cruise lines use is the Pullman Montparnasse -- because it is the only large hotel near that area. I don't consider it ideal for a stay in Paris. It is a convention-type hotel and not really close to the tourist stuff you want to do. We stayed at Hotel Lutece on Ile Saint-Louis, and liked it so much we will stay there again on any future trips to Paris. Classy, quiet, and Ile Saint-Louis is like being in a small town that's just a quick walk over a bridge to either the Marais or the Left Bank. You only need to go to the ship [or the TGV station] once, so a taxi ride is no problem.

Yes, Vantage.

I’ll attempt to point out some pros and cons as honestly as I can. ...

Thanks so much for the rundown Thom, that really helps. Sailing to Honfleur would be a huge win, I admit. Lovely little place. Not huge WWII fans, but would like the option, and nice that Juno is one. And Bayeux.

I suspect diversity would be an issue for us. Although we'll see--we're sailing Tauck this fall and I expect it to be mainly American, although I'm sure there will be a smattering of Canucks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for Avalon "Paris to Normandy" past cruisers--We have been exploring a private company for 6 people to tour the Normandy Beach area and surrounding sites. WE only have one day and felt this might give us the best chance to see & experience the maximum amount of history in this area. also thinking about renting our own car for the group of us. Is this a waste of time and money versus taking the "free" (but larger number of fellow passengers) day tour offered as part of our Avalon cruise on board the Tapestry II?

I have a question for Avalon "Paris to Normandy" past cruisers--We have been exploring a private company for 6 people to tour the Normandy Beach area and surrounding sites. WE only have one day and felt this might give us the best chance to see & experience the maximum amount of history in this area. also thinking about renting our own car for the group of us. Is this a waste of time and money versus taking the "free" (but larger number of fellow passengers) day tour offered as part of our Avalon cruise on board the Tapestry II?

If you rent the car you won't get all of the commentary from the very knowledgeable guide. You'll be driving through towns and passing fields or what looks like hedges but meanwhile they are important part of history The guide is talking much of the way providing so much knowledge and connecting the dots If you get a private tour that might be a different story because you'd be able to individualize the tour to your interests. But the tour for the time available is comprehensive.