What time of day to do Denali Shuttle?

mlbcruiser

We'll be visiting Denali Park around the third week of May. We want to take a shuttle bus to see view the park but don't want to have to get up too early if we don't have to. (Esp. since we'll have had to get up earlier than we'd prefer on most other days of our trip.) Therefore, if we choose a shuttle bus ride that begins somewhere between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. will we be making a huge mistake? I realize photos are usually best when the sun is at an angle, but taking photos isn't a huge priority for us. Just wondering before I put plans in motion.

While I'm at it, at that time of year, will we risk always having issues trying to get on "the next shuttle" coming along if we get off to spend a few minutes at this or that stop? I'm not sure how long a wait to expect between buses. We won't be doing any hiking due to a recent medical issue my dh had, so we won't be spending all that much time when we do get off the shuttle.

Thanks for any experienced advice!

We'll be visiting Denali Park around the third week of May. We want to take a shuttle bus to see view the park but don't want to have to get up too early if we don't have to. (Esp. since we'll have had to get up earlier than we'd prefer on most other days of our trip.) Therefore, if we choose a shuttle bus ride that begins somewhere between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. will we be making a huge mistake? I realize photos are usually best when the sun is at an angle, but taking photos isn't a huge priority for us. Just wondering before I put plans in motion.

While I'm at it, at that time of year, will we risk always having issues trying to get on "the next shuttle" coming along if we get off to spend a few minutes at this or that stop? I'm not sure how long a wait to expect between buses. We won't be doing any hiking due to a recent medical issue my dh had, so we won't be spending all that much time when we do get off the shuttle.

Thanks for any experienced advice!

Here's a link to park shuttle information:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

At the time you are visiting Denali, the furthest you can go in is the Toklat area at mile 53. This schedule, of course, is weather dependent.

The Eielson Visitor Center, the primary stop for most visitors using the shuttle, is not open until early June.

With your mention of considering getting off the shuttle bus, you need to think earlier than you currently are, if you aren't going to be returning to your reserved bus. This is the only bus running so, absolutely, yes, buses can be full. Starts May 20

Your "stop" mention however, is at fixed locations with "outhouses". Polychrome Pass is a place where an extended stop could be of interest.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks for reminding me about the automatic shuttle stops. Those will likely be enough for us - unless we decide to stop a while to have a our lunch in a nie spot. (BTW, it's o.k. to bring your own lunch and drinks.) I had looked at the info. on the website (a couple of you were helpful previously with the link) and noted the shuttle will take about 6 1/2 hrs. RT.

Thankfully, the reservation agent I spoke to said they start from the beginning every half hour until at least 3 p.m. and it will stay light well into the evening, so we should be fine if we don't want to set out early in the a.m.

FYI, for those who have a senior citizen Nat'l. Park discount card already, although the park entry fee is included in the shuttle ticket, however show your card when you check in for your tour (about 20-30 min. before your departure time) and you will recieve a refund of the entrance fee portion of your ticket. (I am sure that's been posted on these boards before, but thought someone may read who wasn't yet aware that.)

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for reminding me about the automatic shuttle stops. Those will likely be enough for us - unless we decide to stop a while to have a our lunch in a nie spot. (BTW, it's o.k. to bring your own lunch and drinks.) I had looked at the info. on the website (a couple of you were helpful previously with the link) and noted the shuttle will take about 6 1/2 hrs. RT.

Thankfully, the reservation agent I spoke to said they start from the beginning every half hour until at least 3 p.m. and it will stay light well into the evening, so we should be fine if we don't want to set out early in the a.m.

FYI, for those who have a senior citizen Nat'l. Park discount card already, although the park entry fee is included in the shuttle ticket, however show your card when you check in for your tour (about 20-30 min. before your departure time) and you will recieve a refund of the entrance fee portion of your ticket. (I am sure that's been posted on these boards before, but thought someone may read who wasn't yet aware that.)

Thanks again for the help!

You are likely going to be requested to eat on the bus. Keeping Denali "wild" is of utmost priority. You don't want any chance of "dropage" of foods.

You can easily find the shuttle bus schedule, for your day, then know how many buses are possible to catch after yours.

Good to know, Budget Queen. Thanks! Oh, well, no problem eating on the bus. The agent did say it was o.k. to bring coolers, too. I would assume they have size limitations and anyway, we wouldn't want to drag an actual cooler along! (What a pain to have to mess w/one on a bus.) We have some soft sided "lunch" coolers that are about as big a large lunch bos. We can likely use just one of them as one will handle a couple of drinks and a sandwich or something.

We have some soft sided "lunch" coolers that are about as big a large lunch bos. We can likely use just one of them as one will handle a couple of drinks and a sandwich or something.

We'll be doing the same thing! Easy to slide into a daypack.

Budget Queen: What type of sandwiches and snacks are available to purchase in the area?

We'll be doing the same thing! Easy to slide into a daypack.

Budget Queen: What type of sandwiches and snacks are available to purchase in the area?

I am not Budget Queen, but the WAC has "grab and go" items available for purchase -- pre-made sandwiches, fruit, jerky, snack items and so forth. Most, if not all, of the hotels and B & Bs are able to prepare box lunches to go. Also a number of folks purchase "to go" lunches from the Subway (located on the boardwalk in "Glitter Gulch."

I am not Budget Queen, but the WAC has "grab and go" items available for purchase -- pre-made sandwiches, fruit, jerky, snack items and so forth. Most, if not all, of the hotels and B & Bs are able to prepare box lunches to go. Also a number of folks purchase "to go" lunches from the Subway (located on the boardwalk in "Glitter Gulch."

It is great that you are considering getting off the bus. Unfortunately few people do. Take a copy of the schedule with you since in May the shuttles don't run all that often. After something like 10am they are only once an hour I believe (an educated guess based on prior years - I haven't looked at the 2016 schedule).

No one is ever left in the park against their will, but if you plan on taking one of the last couple of buses and it is really nice weather, you might have to wait if the first bus is full.

Re: eating. If you stay on the same bus the entire time, the drivers strongly encourage you to eat on the bus and not at the rest stops. That is because even a crumb or two multiplies with dozens of buses stopping at each rest stop each day. But if you get off the bus apart from a rest stop, you can definitely eat anywhere you want - stop along the road, hike on the tundra then have your lunch, etc. When you are not at the rest stops, you are not concentrating crumbs in one area so you can definitely eat off the bus.