East Coast Storm

lukesgrammie

We always arrive a day prior to our cruise...but not this time. We are traveling non stop from Detroit ( an early flight which has a clear forecast out of Detroit for Sat) to FLL on Delta. I have called them three times and they have pretty much told me that this flight should not be an issue. No one can tell me if Detroit to FLL is their daily route. Any suggestions on who else to contact? If it is a straight shot from DTW to FLL, I should be good. Never missed a sailing, but won't do this again!

Not sure what your question is. Orbitz shows Delta with daily flights from its Detroit hub to FLL. How does knowing this help you?

I'm sitting here with only 3 inches of the white stuff on the ground but "white out" conditions on the highway and accidents on each of the major expressways. Glad I don't have to go out. We have a forecast for 6 inches on Friday. Flights may or may not be moving. I'm sure that the airport will have the runways cleared and the planes flying ASAP, but there may certainly be delays. No, Detroit is not my home airport.

Will your Saturday flight be on time? Will it leave at all? It all depends on the weather in Detroit. I doubt that FLL will be a problem, but one never knows. You are lucky it is a non stop flight. Atlanta is a mess today. All you can do is hope that the weather lets you leave on time and arrive safely for the cruise.

We always arrive a day prior to our cruise...but not this time. We are traveling non stop from Detroit ( an early flight which has a clear forecast out of Detroit for Sat) to FLL on Delta. I have called them three times and they have pretty much told me that this flight should not be an issue. No one can tell me if Detroit to FLL is their daily route. Any suggestions on who else to contact? If it is a straight shot from DTW to FLL, I should be good. Never missed a sailing, but won't do this again!

You can check FlightAware to see if that flight is daily or not.

However, there are many factors that could create a delay/cancellation for the flight (plane cannot arrive at DTW etc). If you're that concerned, you could try to switch flights if Delta issues a change fee waiver.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

In planning for our upcoming cruise, DH says, no worries, we can take the red-eye out of LAX, be at FLL in plenty of time to sail that afternoon... no need to go a day early. I said, you go ahead! I'm going a day early, not gonna worry about flight delays, missed connections, luggage lost or nothing else, see you on board! :p Funny how he changed his mind... :D

While I totally get your anxiety, I think the weather media really just like to get people all riled about something that might not be awful or even happen at all. Keep your eye on the maps, but turn down the volume on the TV so you can keep your sanity. The event in question is just at the west coast today, with a long distance to perhaps travel, change direction, or die out...

We fly in 2 evenings before our cruises, so we have a full day to adjust to the non-stress of Florida and pick up last minute items (plus visit Total Wine!) and then a relaxed wake up on the morning before heading to the cruise port. That leaves plenty of time for delays, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

:D

I highly doubt that Delta would issue a "weather waiver" covering your flight from DTW to FLL, based on the current weather track. They will issue waivers up and down the east coast, probably on Thursday that will last till Saturday or Sunday. I think you are only down to a couple of options; 1) change flight to Friday night, this will cost you change fee + fare difference + hotel in FLL on Friday or 2) if you are NOT on the first flight of the day, call Delta exactly 24 hours prior to your Flight and see if they will allow you to Same Day Change (SDC) to an earlier flight on Saturday.

Good Luck, even though neither one of these airports should be affected by weather, you plane could be coming from an area that is impacted by the weather.

Let us know how it turns out.

We are on the first flight out Saturday morning. I checked flight tracker website and it's a nonstop daily run from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale back-and-forth. Hopefully we're going to be OK. The weather in Detroit is dry and sunny. Thanks for the good wishes and yes..we never travel without insurance!

I see the potential problem being equipment. Where is the plane coming from for your flight? If it is in the 'storm area' it could get stuck but, more likely with sufficient notice, Delta will try to re-position equipment at airports (such as Detroit) not in the path of the storm.

Just saw the note about the equipment being a back and forth (Fort Lauderdale/Detroit) - that has to be a relief! Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by capriccio

Can you figure out if your aircraft comes in the night before and stays the nite?? If yes, this would put you in a good position to have an aircraft and a crew ready to go. You could ask Delta or the folks at your airport....just a thought

Edited by Clampram

Can you figure out if your aircraft comes in the night before and stays the nite?? If yes, this would put you in a good position to have an aircraft and a crew ready to go. You could ask Delta or the folks at your airport....just a thought
This is the issue that should have you worried. Not your flight plan but where the plane is flying from. If it's flying from the East Coast and turning around to fly to FLL, that would be a big concern. Weather in one part of the country can seriously affect other parts where the weather is just great. Even LAX can have weather problems or flight delays due to planes arriving from elsewhere. Definitely call Delta and get more information about the plane itself.

The Flight Aware website has the option to view incoming aircraft & I routinely use this option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just because its clear were you are does not mean those flights could not be affected.

Not only are there equipment concerns but crews may be stuck all over the east coast. Then when the delays start crews that are available may run out of duty time and will not be able to fly on the equipment that becomes available.

Its a domino effect through the airline.

I am sure the airline will start moving equipment off the east coast to minimize having planes and crews being stranded but no ones what flights will go or not go for sure.

Take care,

Vinnie

Edited by CruzVinnieCruz

Just because its clear were you are does not mean those flights could not be affected.

Not only are there equipment concerns but crews may be stuck all over the east coast. Then when the delays start crews that are available may run out of duty time and will not be able to fly on the equipment that becomes available.

Its a domino effect through the airline.

I am sure the airline will start moving equipment off the east coast to minimize having planes and crews being stranded but no ones what flights will go or not go for sure.

Take care,

Vinnie

So true...I will never do this again:o So less stressful flying in the day before sailing, but those on the East coast still are not safe even if they had planned on flying out on Friday. I'll be ready for a large glass of merlot when we are settled and in our cabin!

Book a backup on Southwest. If you buy nonrefundable you have a year to use those funds with no change fees. Just be sure you cancel before Delta flight

That could work.. except - they have exactly one flight that morning to FLL that would get you in before the ship cruises and it has a stopover in BWI.... Think - Eye of the Storm!!. Certainly not my choice.

This is the issue that should have you worried. Not your flight plan but where the plane is flying from. If it's flying from the East Coast and turning around to fly to FLL, that would be a big concern. Weather in one part of the country can seriously affect other parts where the weather is just great. Even LAX can have weather problems or flight delays due to planes arriving from elsewhere. Definitely call Delta and get more information about the plane itself.

For sure!! It can be a domino effect throughout the country. :(

It's a lesson learned folks....We use to travel and sail the same day when we were "younger" and foolish. The past few cruises we have gone the day before, but due to me making the wrong hotel arrangements through Priceline last summer I got frustrated. Husband said let's just get a hotel by the airport and fly out the same day and I reluctantly agreed... Our dear friends are from Maine with no direct flight. They are leaving Friday from Boston to Atlanta and then to Fll...Scary. Thanks for the info and support! I will try and give you a happy ending to the story from Detroit Metro Saturday!

It's a lesson learned folks....We use to travel and sail the same day when we were "younger" and foolish. The past few cruises we have gone the day before, but due to me making the wrong hotel arrangements through Priceline last summer I got frustrated. Husband said let's just get a hotel by the airport and fly out the same day and I reluctantly agreed... Our dear friends are from Maine with no direct flight. They are leaving Friday from Boston to Atlanta and then to Fll...Scary. Thanks for the info and support! I will try and give you a happy ending to the story from Detroit Metro Saturday!

We are sailing Saturday and leaving for FLL tomorrow because our last vacation got canceled due to storm. No more taking chances. We are also taking the same route: Boston->Atlanta->FLL. Hopefully there's no snow tomorrow.