New email from Carnival

griz400

1 week ago we received from Carnival, Our guess is because we are going close to South America, just wanted to share it all with you guys

Dear Carnival Guest,

We are looking forward to having you sail with us and want to take this opportunity to make you aware of some important information.

On January 15, 2016, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) upgraded their Zika virus travel health notice to "Alert Level 2", (Practice Enhanced Precautions). The notice currently affects specific areas of the Caribbean and Central and South America. For the most up-to-date information on the Zika virus and countries affected, please visit the website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices.

Zika virus is spread primarily through mosquitoes, which mainly bite during daytime hours. It is not transmitted from person to person directly. Symptoms of Zika typically develop 3-12 days after being bitten and may include fever, headache, skin rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from 2-7 days and most people who contract Zika experience no symptoms at all. Comprehensive health information can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html.

There has been a recent increase in poor pregnancy outcomes among mothers who contracted Zika during pregnancy. These cases are being reported in areas where Zika virus outbreaks have occurred. Knowledge of the link between Zika and these outcomes is still developing. For this reason, the CDC Advisory particularly impacts women who are pregnant and women who are trying to become pregnant.

The CDC advisory recommends women who are pregnant in any trimester consider postponing travel to areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. If pregnant women do opt to travel to Zika affected areas, the CDC recommends talking to their healthcare provider in advance and strictly follow steps to avoid mosquito bites during their trip. Specific guidance for women who are trying to become pregnant is also included in the CDC advisory. More information can be found here:

(http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html).

There is no vaccine to prevent Zika Fever however individuals can reduce their risk of contracting Zika and other mosquito-borne illnesses by following these steps prior to going ashore:

Apply insect repellent which contains one of the following active ingredients: DEET, picaridin (KBR 3023), Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus/PMD, or IR3535.

If both sunscreen and insect repellent is used, apply the sunscreen first and then the repellent.

Repellent is available for purchase from the shops on board.

Wear a loose, long-sleeved shirt and long pants, , preferably of a light color to minimize the likelihood of being bitten.

Once on board, if you experience any symptoms of fever, headache, skin rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes), please contact the ship's Medical Center or your doctor if you have already returned home. Remember to tell them about your recent travel.

Thank you for taking the time to read this important information.

Sincerely,

Patrick Fullerton, DO

Chief Medical Officer & Fleet Medical Director

We received this email last night. We are going to the Eastern Caribbean in December 2016.

They are probably emailing everyone, as they should. They really should put it as a pop up on their website to cover all bases. I'm sure, there will be someone who says they didn't know.

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers
Spelling error

1 week ago we received from Carnival, Our guess is because we are going close to South America, just wanted to share it all with you guys

Dear Carnival Guest,

We are looking forward to having you sail with us and want to take this opportunity to make you aware of some important information.

On January 15, 2016, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) upgraded their Zika virus travel health notice to "Alert Level 2", (Practice Enhanced Precautions). The notice currently affects specific areas of the Caribbean and Central and South America. For the most up-to-date information on the Zika virus and countries affected, please visit the website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices.

Zika virus is spread primarily through mosquitoes, which mainly bite during daytime hours. It is not transmitted from person to person directly. Symptoms of Zika typically develop 3-12 days after being bitten and may include fever, headache, skin rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from 2-7 days and most people who contract Zika experience no symptoms at all. Comprehensive health information can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html.

There has been a recent increase in poor pregnancy outcomes among mothers who contracted Zika during pregnancy. These cases are being reported in areas where Zika virus outbreaks have occurred. Knowledge of the link between Zika and these outcomes is still developing. For this reason, the CDC Advisory particularly impacts women who are pregnant and women who are trying to become pregnant.

The CDC advisory recommends women who are pregnant in any trimester consider postponing travel to areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. If pregnant women do opt to travel to Zika affected areas, the CDC recommends talking to their healthcare provider in advance and strictly follow steps to avoid mosquito bites during their trip. Specific guidance for women who are trying to become pregnant is also included in the CDC advisory. More information can be found here:

(http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html).

There is no vaccine to prevent Zika Fever however individuals can reduce their risk of contracting Zika and other mosquito-borne illnesses by following these steps prior to going ashore:

Apply insect repellent which contains one of the following active ingredients: DEET, picaridin (KBR 3023), Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus/PMD, or IR3535.

If both sunscreen and insect repellent is used, apply the sunscreen first and then the repellent.

Repellent is available for purchase from the shops on board.

Wear a loose, long-sleeved shirt and long pants, , preferably of a light color to minimize the likelihood of being bitten.

Once on board, if you experience any symptoms of fever, headache, skin rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes), please contact the ship's Medical Center or your doctor if you have already returned home. Remember to tell them about your recent travel.

Thank you for taking the time to read this important information.

Sincerely,

Patrick Fullerton, DO

Chief Medical Officer & Fleet Medical Director

Is this a valid reason for trip cancellation insurance to pay?

This information has been all over the news on tv this past week. They were suggesting canceling trips for pregnant women. It doesn't seem to be a bad disease for adults but affects the baby's development!

Actually, there is now a tenuous connection to zika disease in adults also. According to the report:

Symptoms of Zika include fever, rash, muscle and joint pain, red eyes, headaches and vomiting, and they may last for several days to about a week. There is no vaccine for Zika; the only way to avoid contracting the virus is to prevent mosquito bites.

Use DEET everyone!

Actually, there is now a tenuous connection to zika disease in adults also. According to the report:

Symptoms of Zika include fever, rash, muscle and joint pain, red eyes, headaches and vomiting, and they may last for several days to about a week. There is no vaccine for Zika; the only way to avoid contracting the virus is to prevent mosquito bites.

Use DEET everyone!

Now also seeing a connection btw Zika and Guillain Barre Syndrome, which is usually a period of paralysis and a slow recovery for adults. This si a little scary for me. Next cruise is to St. Martin, one of the islands that are included in the new CDC warning.

I got the same email and I'm going no where near the Caribbean or South Africa. I'm only going a 1 1/2 dive south of the US/Mexico border.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The virus has also been found in Mexico.

My daughter was joining us on the Liberty in 2 weeks but cancelled yesterday as she is 16 weeks pregnant. Just not worth the risk to the baby.

Edited by firstcruise--finally

Now also seeing a connection btw Zika and Guillain Barre Syndrome, which is usually a period of paralysis and a slow recovery for adults. This si a little scary for me. Next cruise is to St. Martin, one of the islands that are included in the new CDC warning.

I think it's just a matter of time before it comes to the United States. :(

The virus has also been found in Mexico.

My daughter was joining us on the Liberty in 2 weeks but cancelled yesterday as she is 16 weeks pregnant. Just not worth the risk to the baby.

Yeah but in Ensenada the weather is to child right now for mosquitos.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We leave in two weeks to go to Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. I refuse to live my life in fear so there is no way I'd consider cancelling, however I will be using mosquito repellant! I'd think twice if I was pregnant though :-(.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Zika virus is usually a mild to moderate illness in adults but if a woman is pregnant and gets it her baby could be born with abnormalities including even microcephaly so if you are or could be pregnant for becoming pregnant during your cruise you should not cruise to the Caribbean or South America areas experiencing an outbreak of this virus. Some viruses that we worry about on cruises can be combated simply by careful hand washing and good hygiene but not in the case of the Zika virus. It is transmitted via an insect vector from one infected individual to another. So a mosquito bites an infected individual and then proceeds to spread the virus to all the other individuals it bites. The mosquito itself cannot catch the virus but it carries the virus to all the individuals it bites.

Edited by Jana60

I have been on 7 cruises and have seen only two large spiders in Belize while cave tubing. I have never seen any mosquitoes any where. I have not gone to any heavily wooded areas except walking to the river to go cave tubing. I did hear today on the news that cases have been reported in Illinois and Florida. Has anyone seen any mosquitoes any where on their cruises?? Just curious.

I have been on 7 cruises and have seen only two large spiders in Belize while cave tubing. I have never seen any mosquitoes any where. I have not gone to any heavily wooded areas except walking to the river to go cave tubing. I did hear today on the news that cases have been reported in Illinois and Florida. Has anyone seen any mosquitoes any where on their cruises?? Just curious.

never saw any but still take precautions :D

hhmm, I never get these emails from Carnival. They never sent me the book your boarding time or this one and I am traveling to the Caribbean/St Martin soon. Yet, they send me sale emails every other day. What gives? I've done full check-in and payment so they obviously know I am going.

Actually I was eaten alive by mosquitoes despite the deep woods DEET insect repellent on my last trip to Belize. When you do the cave tubing tour you must walk through the woods to reach the River and it was on that walk that I was bitten numerous times.

First I have to say my daughter today told me about the email she received it a couple days ago from Carnival but we didn't or did my father in law who are booked on the very same cruise to Belitz/Roatan/Cozumel/Costay Maya on the Magic on April 30th.

I live with lupus I would think that would make me more prone to infection and to this disease should I get bitten by an infected mosquito, this is not good, and the fact that I live with joint pains and rashes due to lupus I would never know it would be the mosquito disease! :eek:

Why the heck would Carnival continue bringing their ships to these places that have these alerts!!?? They should be substituting to safer ports, sorry but I strongly agree they shouldn't be going to those ports. Yes, I can cancel but what happens when I already have paid for the cruise, I can't get my money back so I have to go.

First I have to say my daughter today told me about the email she received it a couple days ago from Carnival but we didn't or did my father in law who are booked on the very same cruise to Belitz/Roatan/Cozumel/Costay Maya on the Magic on April 30th.

I live with lupus I would think that would make me more prone to infection and to this disease should I get bitten by an infected mosquito, this is not good, and the fact that I live with joint pains and rashes due to lupus I would never know it would be the mosquito disease! :eek:

Why the heck would Carnival continue bringing their ships to these places that have these alerts!!?? They should be substituting to safer ports, sorry but I strongly agree they shouldn't be going to those ports. Yes, I can cancel but what happens when I already have paid for the cruise, I can't get my money back so I have to go.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you and I think that most cruise lines do more to protect their passengers then other travel destinations. Also, if you have listened to the news there have already been cases in the United States so are you going to move to a safer country? There have always been some type of virus that is possible to catch and that doesn't stop people from going to these places. People can't live in fear and live in a protective box their whole life. And what about the Olympics which has nothing to do with Cruise lines. They are still having it in Brazil this summer.