getting a good deal

kcms4

Hi looking to book a cruise (but its not till next year) the question is mainly for uk cruisers but has any one in the uk booked though a american agent before and did everything go ok.:confused:

While in general the US prices and T&C are better, for last minute bookings you can get great deals from the UK. The Rhapsody sailing I'm booked on would be cheaper to book from the UK than US.

Just a reminder that while someone may tell you all went well, they can't tell you whom they booked with since no TA talk is allowed here.

Just a reminder that while someone may tell you all went well, they can't tell you whom they booked with since no TA talk is allowed here.

But...some people may be willing to share their travel agent information via private message. Just ask.

Hi looking to book a cruise (but its not till next year) the question is mainly for uk cruisers but has any one in the uk booked though a american agent before and did everything go ok.:confused:

Greetings from Lincolnshire,

I, as well as a lot of friends, have booked through a US agents many times without any problem. About 80% of our cruises are booked in the U.S., but my next couple on the NCL Epic were better priced in the UK.

Things to watch out for are U.S. agents that charge cancellation fees and 'service fees' for changes, upgrades, etc.

Don't forget that US bookings don't have ABTA protection - it is essential IMHO that the money is paid directly to the cruise company from your credit card and not through the agency - we have some friends who paid the agency who failed to pay the cruise line and then when bust. As they had used a debit card they lost their money.

Pete.

p.s. Exchange rates can make a difference as well - in the last 12 months the $ has strengthened against the £ making the cruises I have booked through the U.S. about 15% more expensive.

Edited by SadmanCruiser
Exchange

I have had great success with this.

I think the advice from SadmanCruiser is brilliant.

I'd also like to add that all I do is really weigh up the prices, taking into consideration the exchange rate (and possible fluctuations) and any card transaction fees for paying in a different currency. With these considered I have saved in the thousands. However, it isn't always a great deal, that is why it is important to do the sums first.

I like the fact that I can, with my TA, cancel up to final payment without any penalty. I also like that with every cruise I have booked with them I have received OBC, something I hadn't had with any UK booking - most likely down to the time I booked and there being no offer.

Price drops are another good point - as long as the T&C's allow, you can receive price drops; again something you cannot get with a UK booking.

Just do your research into different TA's and make sure you know all the pro's and con's, T&C's etc before going ahead with anything.

Good luck :)

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

We have used an American TA on our last five cruises, and the prices were very favourable in comparison to UK TA prices.

We like the price drops, the OBC, and the no charges cancellation policies. Like others have said, there are things to consider, but so far so good for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thanks every one for getting back to me, i know you cant talk about TAs just wanted to know if it was possible and it is thank you, as i have been looking it would save me £400 per state room (and i need 3) with OBC as well now just to decide if i dare do it.

Also depends on where in the world you are thinking of cruising. Cruises out of US ports mostly offer better rates via US agents for their home market especially in the 90 days before sailing date. Most of the cruises we take are planned well over a year ahead and involve long haul flights, I've never had a quote from a US agent low enough to make the risks/disadvantages worthwhile.

thanks every one for getting back to me, i know you cant talk about TAs just wanted to know if it was possible and it is thank you, as i have been looking it would save me £400 per state room (and i need 3) with OBC as well now just to decide if i dare do it.

As long as you've done some research on the TA or have been recommended to one like we were, you should be fine. We've cruised from Southampton, Europe and the USA always using an American TA and they have always massively undercut British TA quotes.

I was very nervous too the first time, but the person who recommended I trusted implicitly, and now I have two US agencies I use. It's very frustrating we aren't allowed to give names to you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi i am looking at the allure and oasis we need three cabins and each cabin is between £400 and £500 cheaper with a American TA than with the TA that I always use. Is there a forum any where where you can ask about TA s:confused:

Please don't worry yourself over booking with a US TA. Just do your homework. OCCASIONALLY it's more advantageous to book with a UK TA, especially with cruises to the Med though it's rare. After moving to London a few years ago I was stunned to find the horrendous cruise rates that Brits thought (think?) they must pay for a cruise with no benefits like OBC thrown in and the change and cancellation policies. The need for long haul flights for me is irrelevant. There are lots of options with that.

so as i have been looking at different TAs does putting your crown and anchor number in effect the price also how do you go on when they ask where you live?:confused:

It makes no difference where you live nor is the rate affected by your C&A number. Your quote will be in USD. Get a credit card that does not charge a foreign exchange fee.

I'm in a similar boat (pardon the pun) as I book with a U.S. agent from Australia. We pay in U.S. Dollars which in the past has gotten us some much cheaper rates including group rates, plus we get on board credit. The price drops and ability to change/cancel are big benefits that we cannot access in Australia.

We include our crown and anchor number which sometimes gets additional discounts and balcony discounts. We use our actual address and this has never caused any problems.

Good luck

Edited to add: you need to do your price conversions carefully. The falling Aussie dollar has started to make it more expensive in some cases to book in the U.S. So just check that before you book - it looks like you have anyway but just wanted to mention it. One cruise we're looking at worked out almost $2000 more expensive to book in U.S. Dollars!

Edited by BekkaW