Jan 2016 World Cruise live report

Waynetor

Happy Memorial Day to our US readers. By the time I post this, for many of you the day will be over, but hope you found something appropriate to do and were not affected by the bad weather we heard about in some areas.

Love, love, love the weather.* Once again few clouds, no humidity and temps around 29c or 84f.

We cruised into the inner atoll and anchored near the main town; Avatoru.* It was just a short tender ride into town.* I took a tour that left from the tender dock so did not see very much of the area. There was a bar by the tender dock.* A couple people were offering tours at the dock.*

With the crushed coral roads and most activities out on the water there was not a lot for Freda to do even if she could get off the ship so I did a wonderful tour as a single with other roll call members.* The PA'ATI Excursions description:

Reef Islands 1 hour by boat

You will go for a walk for around 2 hours on the reef where you will find natural jacuzzi, you can go snorkeling.* After, you will go back on the motu for the picnic (rice, chicken, fish, raw fish, coconut bread, cake, juice and water will be offer.

After the lunch, there will be a shark feeding and you can enjoy the few last minutes before leaving the motu by snorkeling.

On the return you will snorkel at the aquarium at the motu NUHI NUHI and to close the tour you will go at the Tiputa Pass to watch the dolphins.

Departure time is at 8.30am and return at 4.00pm.*

The destination for this tour was the unique Reef Island (île aux récifs) which features the “Feo”: along the ocean side there are walls made up of fossilized coral.* The island also has stunning beaches.

We had 15 in our group and another 6 hired the same company so we split between 2 boats for the travel - out there we did not see anyone else.*We had to meet at 7:50 and were able to be on the 1st tender.

This wonderful tour cost $100US or we could pay 8,500 XFP which turned out to be much cheaper with the exchange rate.

For this tour we stayed quite close to the plan - Going out we took a quick look for dolphins but did not see any in their usual place.* The waves heading out to Reef Island were quite high for our small boat so it was very bouncy and most of us got very wet.* Due to the waves it took about 20 minutes extra.* At the point where we just start to see a trace of our destination, looking back all we could see was a very small looking cruise ship.

I had broke my strap on my snorkel mask a few days ago so did not have any gear, but at the first place we snorkelled the water was only 2 - 5 feet deep (strong current) so I was able to walk around and see the bottom in the crystal clear water.* There were lots of coral mounds with a nice variety of types.* Not many fish but lots of fair size clams as well as sea cucumbers.* From there we walked over to the ocean side where the fossilized coral bed is - at some point this coral bed has risen up from under the ocean floor and is now at the water edge.* The coral rock is extremely sharp and come in all shapes and sizes - most is around 3-5m (10- 15ft) high.* The gaps in between pieces is where the tide water rushes in and out of the atoll.* On the inner side of the wall some pits had been created and were full of warm water that made it feel like we were in a jacuzzi.* A few brave soles in our group that were wearing full protective gear were able to climb up and do dives into the pool.* It is hard to but into words what an amazing sight these fossils made.* From there we walked across a gap between 2 islands to where we would have lunch - this gab was wide enough that the current was not too strong but it was a bit deep in areas for the shorter members of our group.***

The boats each had 2 staff so 4 in total - 2 stayed with us and 2 prepared the excellent lunch - included beer that was not on the list before.* The water near there had a couple dozen black top fin sharks and lots of other fish and crabs.* Lots more photos taken there.* There was a Coconut Crab where we were eating - it is about as big as a large coconut - never seen one before.* We were able to spend some time checking out that area before heading back - the ride back was a bit smoother and only took an hour.* Once again no dolphins but we stopped at motu NUHI NUHI for snorkelling.* They tossed in some left over food which was very welcomed by a large school of Red Snappers and many other fish.* It was a bit too deep for me here without gear but I was able to get in and use my underwater camera to snap some shots. The number and variety of fish here far outweighed the first stop - this motu is just a couple hundred meters/yards off the shore of Avatoru.* Back to the tender dock just before 5.*

Great tour - everywhere I looked there was a photographic opportunity.**At times the choices was overwhelming. Nothing to do but smile, start shooting and try to capture what I was seeing the best I could, both mentally and picture wise.

For those not doing a similar water based tour, there is not much point renting a car, you are probably better off renting a bicycles there is only a single main road on Avatoru and it is just a few kilometers long.* It is mostly made with crushed coral.* Depending where in the atoll you are you may see reef sharks (and possibly hammerhead also), seemingly friendly dolphins, eagle rays, manta rays, barracudas (saw one jump as we headed out), tunas, sea turtles and many other small colourful fish swimming amongst the coral gardens.* In the 2 main passes the current can be quite strong as the tides come and go.

The reports I got are around Avatoru there are coral churches, craft centers, a post office and some other government buildings, restaurants, and tiny shops to provide some enjoyable land-based experiences - there was a beach (reports just average) you could walk to in 5 - 10 minutes.*Rangiroa is home to some of the world’s best diving sites.* Besides the diving and snorkelling, glass bottom boat tours are quite popular, as is renting kayaks.

Some of the most fantastic Tahitian Pearls are produced in the lagoon here. On the island, you can visit one of the largest pearl farms of French Polynesia.* When visiting a pearl farm here, just like on the other F. P. islands you have the opportunity to witness how the pearls are grafted and harvested, learning all the secrets of the cultivation of these gems along with a opportunity to make a purchase.*

Being Memorial Day I’m reminded of a story I heard.* A pastor noticed a youngster staring at a plaque on the wall, "Good morning, Pastor," replied the young man, still focused on the plaque.* "Pastor, what is this?" "Well, son, it's a memorial to all the young men and women who died in the service." Soberly, they stood together, staring at the large plaque. Little Alex's voice was barely audible, trembling with fear, when he asked, "Which service, the 9:00 or the 11:00?"

Today’s thought for the day - I like animals. I like natural history. The travel bit is not the important bit. The travel bit is what you have to do in order to go and look at animals.” – David Attenborough

Hi Wayne,

It seems many places have wonderful snorkeling opportunities. Is it advisable to carry your own mask and flippers? Are they provided by the tour companies for a fee?

Also on the 180 day cruise, did you set up tours as you travel or did you set up most before you left the states?

When you aren't able to reach a port, is there a cancellation fee for any tour you have arranged?

I am following your trip closely and am most grateful for all your help and especially am taking note of the tour companies and sights that you recommend at each stop.

Regards to Frieda,

Very Curly girl

Today was just another spectacular day at sea.

The weather for the most part was very nice - excluding some passing showers in the early afternoon.* The temp was again around 29c (84f) with calm seas as we headed north east.*

As mentioned before, last tonight we did a half hour time change forward.* This is just for the Marquesas Islands.*

This morning we had our roll call meet and great for this segment, then spent a couple hours going over the pictures for the past 2 days and tonight we had the Captains welcome aboard, otherwise a pretty standard sea day for us.* For a change they had the Insignia band play for an hour by the pool deck - great music but way too loud. **

One of our tablemates tonight seemed somewhat confused with some of his stories.* After the main course he excused himself for a trip to the men’s room.* His wife said to the rest of us "Please excuse him he's got two brains, one is lost and the other is out looking for it."* Another guest said “That sounded a little bit harsh for a wife to say.”* The wife said "I don’t mean to be insensitive, but if you gave him a penny for his thoughts, you would get change.", then with a bit of a pause she added “If you stand close enough to him you can hear the ocean."*

After he returned she gave him a kiss on the check and we all just smiled.

Today’s thought for the day - “Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” —Scott Adams (1957)

For Rangiroa our boat had a canvas top - the sun would come in at 1 side so some passengers would be in the shade and others in the sun depending on the time and boat angle.***I'm not sure what the conditions would normally be, but he ride was rough and the seats were just wooden benches facing the side so anyone having a bad back would have suffered.

For the tour in Rangiroa the operator did not provide any snorkelling gear and since my strap on my mask had broken, that limited my snorkelling.* In Raiatea our guide only had about 5 sets of gear so we were encouraged to bring our own - no charge to use the ones they had.* I am quite sure that the O tours would have made sure gear was included.* Tours I have done in the Caribbean have included gear so it is important to know ahead what is provided.* We also had to bring towels from the ship and water shoes or sandals were needed as we had to walk through water containing rocks and coral bits at times.

For myself, I did all my planning ahead of time and things are subject to change as we have gone along.* At each roll call meet and greet there is an opportunity to find out about any tour openings for that segment.

One warning for those doing a future world cruise or a multi-segment one - you can book O tours ahead of embarking for any segment but once on board you can only book for the current segment so plan accordingly if doing O tours.

Each operator has there own rules re cancellation so be aware of them when booking.* We lost 1 of our 2 days in Bejing and had to cancel a tour - we had prepaid 50% and got that back except 20% plus a service fee so got back about half.* We also got within an hour of disembarking in Picton NZ, when the port was cancelled - the operator policy was no same day cancellations but we had paid about 10 days ahead and they were nice enough to give back all but 20% plus a bit of loss on currency exchange back and forth.

For the other ports that have been changed, I did not have a private tour arranged but can say that the savings for private tours have far outweighed the cost of O tours regardless of some losses.*

'If you stand close enough to him you can hear the ocean."*

I am witless, don't get it. :confused:

As per "Yahoo Answers": "It would be as in insult alluding to the fact that someone is so empty-headed that if you were to get close enough to this person, you could actually hear the sound of the ocean, as one hears the sound of the ocean by placing a sea shell next to his ear".

The 12 main Marquesas Islands form 1 of the 5 administrative divisions of French Polynesia.* They are known as the Mysterious Islands.* Like most of the islands in French Polynesia the bulk of the Marquesas Islands are of volcanic origin but unlike the other island groups, they are unprotected by barrier reefs and are altogether different with coastlines either indented with bays or ending in abrupt cliffs, swept by the surf of powerful Pacific rollers.*

The capital of the Marquesas Islands administrative subdivision is the settlement of Taiohae on the island of Nuku Hiva.* The Marquesas Islands group is one of the most remote in the world, lying about 1,371km (852mi) northeast of Tahiti and about 4,800km (3,000mi) away from the west coast of Mexico, the nearest continental land mass.* The islands are the first major break in the prevailing easterly winds that spawn from the extraordinarily dry (from an atmospheric perspective) Humboldt Current.* Due to this, the islands are subject to frequent drought conditions, and only areas that reach highest into the clouds (generally, above about 750m (2,500ft) above sea level) have reliable precipitation required to sustain human populations.* That being said, June when we are there is the wettest month by far.*

Imported diseases reduced the 18th century population of over 78,000 inhabitants, to about 20,000 by the middle of the 19th century, and to just over 4,000 by the beginning of the 1900s.

Famous French painter Paul Gauguin spent the last years of his life in the Marquesas.

Nuku Hiva at 339sq km (131sq mi) is the largest of the Marquesas Islands.* Located in the northern Marquesas it is known for towering spire-like peaks; secluded beaches, lush valleys; ancient religious sites; fjord-like bays; and waterfalls so high that most of the falling water evaporates as it descends.* The population of the Marquesas Islands was 8,632 at the August 2007 census with about a third on Nuku Hiva.* The Marquesas Islands temporarily received an international spotlight in the United States when the realities TV show Survivor: Marquesas was filmed on Nuku Hiva.* It was the 4th installment of the series.

Time is certainly ticking down – 1 month to go in this grand voyage.* We really hope those waiting to board in Miami have a much better last month countdown than we had in Dec 2014.

We arrived early this morning and were greeted by nice mostly sunny skies with an expected high of 29c (84f).* We were anchored just offshore in Taihoae Bay. The view from the ship is very picturesque.* The bay in which we anchored is a perfect little horseshoe.* It was only a 5 minute tender ride into the Taihoae dock.* Taihoae is the administrative and economic capital of the entire archipelago.* In town there are a few shops including a market with various local art, crafts and carvings, a tourist center and a Notre Dame cathedral with wonderfully carved doors.* Coming off the dock there is a small, black sand beach to the left (it was narrow and did not see anyone using it) and a bit further to the right another - from the tender I could see a few people using the second one.* The black sand beaches are seemingly inviting but the shark infested waters gives you something to think about.* Don’t go swimming anywhere without a local approving the location.

Some tour options are: Tours using a 4x4 safari truck or even on horseback explore endless natural wonders including the high mountains, remote beaches, hidden waterfalls, and deep jungle-like forests.* Sailboat or catamaran tours let you see the beautiful landscape from the water while offering chances for a swim, snorkeling or diving.* Viewing the island via helicopter offers unforgettable views that cannot be seen any other way.

I had a group tour booked for today. The note from the organizer was: The cost per person may be paid in either $75 US or 7,500 cfp, which is a few dollars less if you get a good exchange rate. We will travel in 4 X 4 vehicles to Hatiheu Bay to visit the archaeological sit of Kauihei to see the living conditions, including religious and social organization of the early settlers before the arrival of Western civilization. We will visit a room showing the findings and other archaeological treasures that trace the history of the evolution of the Marquesan people.

This tour is very intriguing to me because it is listed as the No. 1 thing to do in Nuku Hiva on Trip Advisor. There doesn't seem to be much to do on the island* because only seven things are mentioned. However, all the reviews are positive (all 15 of them). In addition, Richard DEANE, the owner and guide, may be the only person on the island who speaks English.

We had 15 in our group and the company had others book directly with them so they had 5 vehicles holding 5 - 7 each for the tour.* The 2 downsides to the tour was the driver spoke no English so we were just driven around and the guide would meet us at each stop and explain the sight and secondly the vehicles - Oceania was doing similar tours with similar size vehicles and they likely booked the best available. Our guide just hired extra vehicles and drivers .* The vehicle I was in had a seat at the front, a row for 3 and in the back 2 benches facing inward, which is where I was, this they meant I could see nothing to one side of the vehicle at all and the benches were high so looking out the window directly in front of me I was looking downward so could not see a lot that way, The only window I had a good view through was the back window.*

As we drove around we saw beautiful Polynesian people (almost everyone is near the sea), horses, chickens, flowers of many hues, many types of trees including banana and palm trees, plus beautiful mountains, valleys and beaches.* The horses are used for fun by the owners, rides for tourist, help with work such as moving banana bunches where vehicles can't go and sometimes hunting.

Our first stop was at an viewpoint that overlooked Taiohae Bay with Insignia in the centre and the surrounding small town.* The next stop was looking over another Bay and small town where Herman Melville was imprisoned for awhile before escaping and we could see where the show Survivor was filmed.* A third lookout was over another bay and the town where R. L Stevenson lived for some time.*We could see a waterfall plunges down part of one of the mountains in the area. Known for its dramatic scenery, Nuku Hiva is a Polynesian classic and these 3 lookouts really pointed this out.* For the most part the roads were very good paved roads with some exceptions.* The valleys off the side are very steep with no guard rails - would be a nightmare driving at night.* After the 3 lookouts the roads got much worse.* Our next stop was an archaeological site of an pre-white man village with stone tiki, ancient dwellings, and petroglyphs to see.* The site is one of 7 on the island as well as 1 of the 2 that has been partially restored.* At that site there was a Banyan tree that was 500 - 600 years old - it was very tall and not wide like the 1 in Lahina Maui and there was the worlds tallest Hibiscus tree.* From there we slowly worked our way down hill using many hairpin turns to a brief stop in a really cute village along the waterfront* in a bay.* There was a small variety store there and bar/restaurant plus washroom facilities.* the town had a nice looking church and some monuments along the waterfront.* There had been a downpour just before we got there so our timing was very good.* From there we doubled back to Taihoae where we stopped at the Notre Dame Cathedral - besides being known for its carvings, the cathedral while having a roof is open to the elements at parts for air-conditioning.* We had the option to walk back to the tender dock or take the vehicle back - I and others to look the opportunity to see a bit on the town and still make it back to the ship by around 2.

Copra is the principal economic product here. The outer coconut husk is removed, the white inner part is then chopped up and set out to dry in the sun. When dried, it’s boxed and shipped to Pape'ete, where it is ground up and, after processing, becomes coconut oil. The copra is the same as the coconut one can eat from the fruit, but dried.

Two sites we did not get to are 1)The Paul Gauguin Cultural Center opened in 2003 on the 100th anniversary of Gauguin's death. Located on land bought by Gauguin, the center's exhibition of reproductions leads the visitor through 3 sections themed around quotes attributed to the artist.* 2)* Vaipo Waterfall where water drops over 350m (1,100+ft) down a sheer cliff from a plateau.* Most of the water turns into a mist before reaching the bottom - to get there would be a 2 hour boat ride both ways and a fair hike in-between.* ***

There are places and events in life that really don’t translate in words or sometimes even in photos, but “you just have to be there”* - lush and beautiful Nuku Hiva as well as all of French Polynesia fit this description.* When many people think of the islands of French Polynesia they see paradise – icing sugar fine beaches, warm, inviting aquamarine waters with palm trees bending gently over the shore in the breeze – after our short but wonderful time here we can say they are right.

A point as we sail away – As I have mentioned, Black Pearls are a very special purchase that many people look for on the islands.* They are available both direct from farms or in stores – if looking for these, educate yourself first – usually the best items go to large wholesale buyers around the world.

Maruru Roa - Thank you very much to the people of French Polynesia – we very much enjoyed our time here in your unique paradise.* It is very hard for pictures to do this group of islands justice. The sights here in French Polynesia will be entwined in my memory forever.

While some passengers have only been aboard for a few days, and others are yet to join us in LA, for those of us that have been here since Miami, today marks one of those points where we start to realize that no matter how great this has been, the end is getting closer.* A month from now we should be home in our own bed.

One of our tablemates tonight was a retired doctor.* Saying this on a ship full of elderly folk can lead to a lot of questions but I’m not sure he was prepared for the couple questions he got.* A lady first asked “Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning.”* He told her “According to the dead I have interviewed that indeed seems to be the case.”* Without missing a beat her next question was “Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?”* I was relieved to hear him reply “All my autopsies have been performed on dead people.”*

Today’s thought of the day - In art, all who have done something other than their predecessors have merited the epithet of revolutionary; and it is they alone who are masters. – Paul Gauguin

Hey North America – it’s been awhile but here we come – be there in a couple days.

We had a wonderful time sailing through the beautiful gems of the South Pacific.* It’s hard to pick a favourite island – each is a place of spectacular beauty and a cruise ship is a wonderful way to experience it.* I wish we could have seen even more islands.

Another nice day at sea - Mostly sunny, a high of 28c (82f), with a noticeable breeze and verily calm seas.

Before starting this voyage I had heard that for those looking for a long lasting souvenir that has been part of Polynesian tradition for many centuries is to get a tattoo – so far have not heard on any passengers or staff getting this kind of personal memento.

Now that we are at sea for a few days, I thought I’d note some options for anyone thinking of doing a cruise of this area.* There are a few trans-Pacific or other long cruises that include FP but basically just 1 option for cruises that are purely FP - the 254-passenger Aranui 5.* This ship is what is termed a "passenger freighter" - part cargo ship and part passenger ship, each function with its own sector of the vessel. Unlike traditional freighters, it is equipped with luxury-level cabins, so if you catch a ride on one you won't be eating in the galley with the crew, but having an experience that approximates a small cruise line. The front half looks like a freighter with containers loaded up while the back half looks like a cruise ship with multiple decks of cabins.* It makes 2 week circuits of the major wonders of the area starting in Papeete.* Princess and Regent 7 Seas used to have ships that spent a lot of time here but they seldom come here now.

We normally enjoy dinner in the main dinning room but tonight they offered a special Polynesian buffet so we tried that - great for those that love fish and there were some nice salads but the suckling pig was basically room temperature.

Today’s thought for the day - "Keep things on your trip in perspective, and you'll be amazed at the perspective you gain on things back home while you're away. One's little world is put into perspective by the bigger world out there." - Gail Rubin Bereny

We travelled on the Aranui 2 and again on the Aranui 3. Now they have the Aranui 5. It is a wonderful trip that gives a lot of insight into the Marquesas, much more than from any cruise ship. The Aranui goes to all 6 inhabited Marquesas islands, travels close to shore and unloads freight in small bays in addition to the 'major' ports. It takes on copra and noni juice.

On the Aranui 3, I spoke with one of the employees of Tahiti Harbor whose job it was to assess the feasibility of large passenger ships going to the islands. He wasn't sure this as going to work out. I am happy for the islanders that Nuku Hiva's port is able to take cruise ship passengers. The small additional income from cruise passengers helps the locals to remain home instead of moving to Tahiti for scarce job opportunities.

I highly recommend a trip on the Aranui5 for all of you who have kept a spirit of adventure. ;)

Another nice weather day at sea - mostly sunny, slight breeze, verily calms seas and a temp around 28c (82f). It been awhile since we had more daylight than night time but today sunrise was 5:35 and sunset 5:45. I expect our day on Los Angeles will have the greatest daylight period.

This morning we attended a lecture on 'Pearl Harbor revisited' - not so much on what happened on Dec 7/41 but more on all the different conspiracy theories, investigations and finger pointing.* The room was near full but the whole thing reminded me of what is going on with the Bengazi investigation.

After that we spent time in the computer room downloading pictures - there is a gentlemen there that is always entertaining and he argues and with himself and the computer - sounds like the British actor character Mr. Bean.

Sometime in the middle of the night we crossed the equator and are now in the northern hemisphere where we will remain for the rest of this voyage.* This is our 6th time crossing since we left Miami.* This afternoon we had the usual 'Order of the Shellback' ceremony with about 20 passengers marking the event.

I am reminded as we crossed the equator today that when doing a similar route on the Star Princess, as we crossed the line the captain came on the PA and announced the exact moment we crossed the line.* He noted if you look out to the starboard side about 2km or the port side about 1km you will see the buoys marking the line.* Quite a few people made the dash to the windows for a peak before catching on.

Today at lunch out by the grill we shared a table with an elderly couple.* He noted he was celebrating his 98th birthday this week.* They did not say how old the wife was but she was close to his age. I asked “what do you attribute your longevity?”* With just a bit of a pause he replied “I never smoked, I never drank liquor, never fooled around with other women and always got up at 6 in the morning.”* Reflecting for a moment I commented “My dad was just like that but he passed away in his mid-80’s, how do you account for that?”* “Simple” said our tablemate “He didn't keep at it long enough.”

Today’s thought for the day – Every human being either adds to or subtracts from the happiness of those with whom they comes in contact.

I might have misunderstood what you meant about cruising FP, but Windstar sails there. The 140 passenger Wind Spirit has 7 and 10/11 day voyages and there's also Paul Gaugin.

I've loved hearing about the islands and the Aranui 5, which I hadn't heard of. It's a dream of mine to go there.

SellaVee,

The Aranui does not cruise like Windstar and the Paul Gauguin. It transports merchandise from Papeete to the most northern island group of FP, the Marquesas where it goes to all 6 inhabited islands. While the crew is loading and unloading, passengers do the included excursions.

But now we are on our way to Hawaii!

(Sorry Wayne for highjacking your thread.)

I should have included Windstar in my note considering we saw the ship a few days back. I was going to include Paul Gauguin but thought I had heard it is no longer doing cruise here - not sure. They also both would be a great way to see the FP islands.

Today was a picture perfect sea day….. Once again, mostly sunny, a high of 28c/82f with slight breeze and verily calms seas. Time is really flying by!

Not a lot special on board today - an unofficial camera club was started back near the beginning of this cruise. Today they had their 11th meeting and I went for the first time. About 8 of the members each showed 5 of their recent photos and discussed anything special they had done to get the photo and why they thought it was special - they was some really spectacular shots. One person that joined in Pape'ete has a drone and he has been able to get shots that the rest of us only see in magazines. Oceania allows the drone on board as long as it is not used on the ship.

Tonight we had dinner with a mother/son couple that had just embarked in Pape’ete. The son was about our age.* After a bit of the usual small talk, the mother mentioned how much she was enjoying the cruise so far but wished her son would dye his grey hair. The son replied that it is just the way he has aged and it did not bother him.* “Maybe not” said his mother, “But it bothers me.* It makes me look old.”

Today’s thought for the day - When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.* But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much he had learned in 7 years. - Mark Twain

We keep chugging along towards Hawaii - very calm, beautiful blue seas today. Almost pure sunshine and the temp at noon was 27c/79f.

As usual we had 2 special lectures today plus a port lecture - the special ones were on the history of Hawaii and how it became under US protection and eventually a US state and another in the photography series. We had a bonus activity - the officers challenge late this morning where 4 activities are available to be played against officers to win big O points. A large pod of dolphins came by mid games to distract many players.

Overnight we will pass the area where Kīlauea volcano is still active. They tell us if we are looking out the port side between 2 and 3 in the morning we should see the glow of the red lava flowing. Forecast for tomorrow calls for some rain…. Hope not!

At lunch today we had a table out by the grill, A little old couple walked slowly up to the grill and order`s 1 burger and 1 small order of fries. The couple took a table near the railing. They asked the waiter to bring them an ice-tea. Soon the food and drink was delivered and so there they sat with one hamburger, one order of French fries and one drink.

The little old man carefully cut the burger in half. He placed one half in front of his wife. Then he carefully counted out the French fries, divided them in two piles and neatly placed one pile in front of his wife. He took a sip of the drink, his wife took a sip and then set the cup down between them.

As the man began to eat his few bites of hamburger, when a waiter saw what was happening he politely offered to get another meal for the old couple to eat. The old man replied that they were just fine. They were used to sharing everything.

Then the waiter noticed that the little old lady hadn't eaten a bite. She just sat there watching her husband eat and occasionally taking turns sipping the drink. Again the young waiter came over and begged them to let him get them something additional to eat. The man again explained that no, they were used to sharing everything together.

As the little old man finished eating and was wiping his face neatly with a napkin, the young waiter passing by again could stand it no longer. Again he offered to get them some additional food to eat. After being politely refused again, he finally asked a question of the little old lady: "Ma'am, why aren't you eating?

You said that you share everything. What is it that you are waiting for?"

She answered, "The teeth."

Today’s thought for the day – A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition.- William Arthur Ward

Edited by Waynetor

To avoid confusion with the name of the entire state, the Island of Hawaii is often called the “Big Island”. Hawaii Island isn't just big, it’s still growing. It is the most southern and youngest island in the Hawaiian chain and is also by far the biggest (nearly twice as big as all of the other Hawaiian Islands combined), providing a vast canvas of environments to discover a variety of unrivaled natural wonders. This is the home of one of the world’s most active volcanoes (Kilauea), home to world's tallest mountain measured from its sea floor base to its highest peak, Mauna Kea, home to the most massive mountain in the world (Maunaloa with a volume estimated at approximately 75,000 cubic km (18,000 cubic mi), although its peak is about 37m (120ft) lower than that of its neighbour, Mauna Kea) and the largest park in the state (Hawaii Volcanoes National Park). All but 2 of the world’s climate zones exist here generating everything from lush rain forests to volcanic deserts, snow-capped mountaintops to beautiful black sand beaches.

The Island of Hawaii is built from 5 separate shield volcanoes that erupted somewhat sequentially, one overlapping the other. These are (from oldest to youngest):

• Kohala—extinct

• Mauna Kea—dormant

• Hualālai—active but not currently erupting

• Mauna Loa—active, partly within Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park

• Kīlauea—active: has been erupting continuously since 1983 with its lava flows constantly adding to the islands land mass; part of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park.

Captain James Cook, the European who claimed to have discovered the Hawaiian Islands and called them the "Sandwich Islands", was killed on the west coast at Kealakekua Bay.

Hilo is located on the shore of the funnel-shaped Hilo Bay on the east coast.

Hilo features a tropical rainforest climate with substantial rainfall throughout the course of the year. Hilo's location (windward relative to the trade winds), makes it the third wettest designated city in the US behind the southeast Alaskan cities of Ketchikan and Yakutat and one of the wettest in the world. An average of around 3,200mm (126.72 in) of rain fell at Hilo International Airport annually between 1981 and 2010, with 275 days of the year receiving some rain, which is the most rainy days for any place in the Northern Hemisphere and exceeded only in parts of Aisen and Magallanes in Chile. At some other weather stations in Hilo the annual rainfall is above 5,100mm (200in). We are fortunate to be visiting during the driest month of the year – June’s average is 187mm or 7.4in. (I have also some reports that say the average is closer to 9 in. – it depends where the recording is done.) The average high temperature in June is 28C (82F).

The population of Hilo was 43,263 at the 2010 census.

Edited by Waynetor

Alohab Kakahiaka, Good morning.* It is nice to be back on land after a few days of nothing but the deep blue sea around us.

We started our day with a face to face US immigration - all passengers had to do it, whether getting off the ship or not - it went very quick - they basically checked our face against our passport face and that was it.

For those passengers that decided to get up in the middle of the night to see the lava flow, it turned out to be a dud - it was just a small red dot through the fog.

It has been quite some time since we have seen another cruise ship (excluding a schooner) but today we are joined by the 1,070 passenger Crystal Serenity which is doing a 16 days cruise R/T from San Fran.

We decided today would be a wait and see what the weather brings us day.* When I started planning Hilo in mid-July last year the local report for the previous 31 days had a single dry day.* About half the days had 2-3 mm or a tenth an inch or less.**As we journeyed out on the deck this morning I was disappointed with the overcast skies over Hilo.* I was really hoping for better weather.* Today turned out to be 1 of those typical days here - very overcast and light showers most of the morning, a few hours just overcast and then more light rain later in the afternoon.

We decided with the weather being unpredictable that Freda would stay on the ship and I would venture into town.

To get into downtown I had several options – walk the 3km (2 mi), which is partially industrial, take the free shuttle, take local bus $2 ($1 seniors), take taxi (about $15) or take Hop on/Hop Off bus.* This is one of those days when Oceania looked very poor in communication.* It was communicated that there would be a free shuttle a couple of different times.* Before we decide that Freda would stay on board, I asked at the front desk this morning if they knew if it was accessible and they called the tour manager who was not sure as the bus was to be picking people up closer to the Crystal ship.* I went to where the shuttle was to be according to the signs posted and the lady there said no shuttle for Insignia guest.* Apparently Hilo only has 1 bus available for shuttle service and it was broken down - Crystal knew about this and had arranged for a bus for their guest while Insignia guest stood around looking like mass market passengers - somehow no-one on Insignia knew about this and this is after we had been docked for a few hours.* Where the shuttle buses were located a temporary tourist desk was set up and I got a city map to go with the map I printed off at home. There was a shuttle bus to Wal-mart but that did not get anyone much closer to downtown.***

This is an industrial port and movement is very controlled - you have to stay within designated waling lanes.* Outside the gate there was a few taxis, a HOHO (Hop-on, Hop off) office and pick up and a tour office with a sign offering volcano tours for $50.

I decided to walk from the Port to the town of Hilo but where possible walked along a pretty stretch by the water that included a visit to a beautifully landscaped, 30 acre Japanese Garden known as Liliuokalani Gardens.* The gardens featured ponds, a bridge, nice range of tropical trees and flowering shrubs along with monuments, and some geese and ducks.* There were also Wailoa River State park which featured a large King Kamehameha statue, a couple of other smaller gardens along the way as well as a golf coarse.

Downtown Hilo is home to Hawaii's only tsunami museum, mostly dedicated to the understanding of the 1946 Pacific Tsunami and notable for the banyan trees planted by Babe Ruth and Amelia Earhart and many other famous celebrities.* You will learn everything you've ever wanted to know about tidal waves and their threat. General admission is $8 per person. It is closed Sunday and Mondays which with 2 ships in port was unfortunate.* It is located across the main road from the waterfront in an area with many shops ranging from 2nd hand shop to clothing, jewelry, art, restaurant and various local business such as real-estate and doctor office.* I could have easily bought some very nice pieces in the art shop if I had any room to put them at home.* the store was divided into section,each featuring different local artist - mostly painting, put other items also.*

Hilo is also home to the famous Hilo Farmer's Market (http://www.hilofarmersmarket.com). On Wednesdays and Saturdays more than 200 local farmers and crafters sell unusual wares that you won't see anywhere else.* On those days it's an absolute must if looking to see/purchase local crafts or treats such as coffee and honey.* Today the majority of the stalls were empty - there were several selling souvenir items and a couple fruit/vegetable items.

The downtown area and most stores were easy for wheelchairs to get around* - Liliuokalani Gardens has some paths that were accessible and some that were not.

I asked the driver at the bus station downtown if he went to the port - he said yes but takes a long circular route and it would take an hour to get there - they do not give change so have small bills.

I was told that*there is also now a small ADA HOHO bus that visits Rainbow Falls, Richardson's Beach Park, Queen Liliokaulani Gardens, plus more for $15 and into Town for $5. The bus only comes into the port if called. The information ladies at the pier will call for you. - No guarantee, but worth looking into if needed as the HOHO buses I saw were not accessible.*

Other options:

We had originally thought of going to the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens but passed on it.* It is about 16km (10mi) north of Hilo. Reports are that it is wonderful but not too easy to get around parts of it in a wheelchair.* Seeing the easily accessible Japanese Garden and the area around it seemed a better use of our time.

Hilo is the gateway to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park located a 45 minute drive south.* We visited the Park when we were here in Dec. 2003.* We had a rare perfect weather day then.* It was great walking on lava that was only a couple months old.* There was lots of steaming fissures along with a strong sulphur smell.* That tour also included a walk through the famous lava tubes.* We are passing on these this time but a word of warning if you are tall and going to the lava tube - when we were there a man around 6’3” or so scrapped his head on the low lava ceiling – nasty cut.* With the overcast conditions today there was no sign of any mountain anywhere.

The Mauna Macadamia Nut Corporation makes their home near here as well.* They are about 10km (6mi), south of the main town. They have a self-guided tour.* (If you come on a Saturday there will not be much to see as there is no production in the factory).* Lots of product variety to buy but prices are not so factory direct special.**

We were supposed to have a deck party tonight but that got moved into the Horizons Lounge due to continued poor weather.

I was talking to one of our fellow full circumnavigators at dinner.* They said because of time differences and cost they had not called his mother since Auckland until today.* They asked her how she was doing to which she replied that she was feeling weak.* When asked way, what was the cause?* She replied she had not eaten for the last few weeks.* When the son asked “Why not?”* She said “she did not want to have her mouth full when he called.”*

Today’s thought for the day - All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it. - Samuel Johnson

Oahu (pronounced oo’ahu) is the 3rd largest of the Hawaiian Islands.* In the greatest dimension, this volcanic island is 71km (44mi) long and 48km (30mi) across. The length of the shoreline is 360km (227mi).* The island is the result of 2 separate long extinct volcanoes leaving 2 parallel mountains ranges trending southeast-northwest: Wai’anae and Ko’olau, with a broad valley (the central Oʻahu Plain) between them.* The Ko’olau range starts in the south east corner of the island at Diamond Head with its 1,700m (3,500ft) diameter crater.* The highest point rising to 1,220m (4,003ft) is Mt. Ka’ala in the Waiʻanae Range.

Oahu has lots to offer just about any tourist – great weather, diverse multicultural traditions, sandy beaches, breathtaking beautiful mountain vistas, surfing, historical sites, and gardens.

In the Hawaiian language, Honolulu means "sheltered bay" or "place of shelter.* Located on the south coast, it’s the state capital.* About 75% of the state’s population live on Oahu and about 75% of those live in the general Honolulu area.It is also a major hub for international business, military defense, as well as famously being host to a diverse variety of east-west and Pacific culture, cuisine, and traditions.*

In 1845, King Kameheha III moved the permanent capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom from Lahaina on Maui to Honolulu.* Hawaii was annexed by the United States in 1898.

The main Honolulu cruise pier, pier 10/11, is located right beside the Aloha Tower (at one time the tallest Hawaiian building) in Honolulu Harbor, which lies between the airport (8km/5mi to the west) and Waikiki (5km/3mi to the east) which is the main tourist area.* Although there are some tourist attractions such as museums, in the city centre, the city proper is usually only visited by tourist that have a fair bit of time – there are too many places to visit on the rest of the island for those that are short on time.

The Point Arena Lighthouse in northern California, at 3,787km (2,045 nautical mi) away is the closest location on the mainland to Honolulu.

June is a dry month averaging about 7mm or a quarter inch of rain for the month but short showers up in the mountains are more frequent.* It is off season for big wave surfing or whale watching.

On our cancelled voyage last year we were to be here on US Flag Day – a good place to be for a patriotic day in the US.

I did a "No-Rain, No-Rain" chant in my cabin last night before hitting the sack - it worked!!* This morning the skies were very clear except over the mountains.* Our high temp today was 27c/81f and in most places along the waterfront there was a nice, cooling breeze.

We are docked at pier 2 today which is east of pier 10/11.* When it comes to fun in the sun, Honolulu and area offers many choices.* We have been here twice before for land vacations and twice as a cruise port of call, so have managed to see most of the sites we want to see.*

Near the cruise ship port is Iolani Palace - Couple interesting facts - it is the only royal palace in the United States and additionally, it had electricity and telephones 4 years before the White House did.* We have walked past the palace a couple times and snapped photos through the gates but have not yet done the tour.* The addition of elevators back in the 1960’s has made it accessible.

We could see Aloha Tower from the ship - Serving as a lighthouse, it was built it 1926 and for nearly 40 years the tallest structure in Hawaii. You can take an elevator to the 10th floor for some fantastic view of Honolulu and the harbor. It is also free.

The local bus (#20) from the port to Waikiki is just $2.50 each way. There are also various buses that go to Ala Moona shopping center.* Oceania was offering a free shuttle to the shopping center but it was one of those big tourist buses with 6 steps to get in so we had to take the public bus. (the public buses are all wheelchair accessible).

We took the bus to Ala Moona and spent about 90 minutes looking around - finally got myself some new sandals.* This is a very large shopping center with 3 major chain stores and many others - the busiest was the Apple store.* They are constructing more building on top - looks like adding condos over part on the center.*

After that we took another bus to Waikiki Beach - we had them drop us off at the last stop, right by the zoo and Kapiolani Park.* We did not go into the zoo but instead took our time and walked all the way pack to the ship - just over 3 hours.

Waikiki thrives as one of the world’s most recognized urban resort destinations.* Much of the Waikiki waterfront area has gone through a major upgrade in the past few years.* In early 2014 the Mirmar Hotel and its neighbours the International Market and Waikiki Town Center closed for redevelopment.* The International Market Place is being revitalized to include a 3 level retail area, dining and entertainment centre – new shops will include a large Saks Fifth Avenue.* This $350 million project was pretty well all finished earlier this year.

The last time we were at Waikiki Beach, near the east end a Monk seal had beached itself and was having a peaceful nap.* Whenever this occurs, the area around is roped off and it is illegal to get too close to these highly endangered animals.* No sign of it today.

Waikiki Beach Services offers outrigger canoe rides in the surf off Waikiki Beach.* As in past times here I was tempted to sign up but once again passed.* Riding the waves looks like fun but I decided not to leave Freda sitting on the beach. I think the cost is $25.* Board surfing in the warm waters is popular here.***The surfers there provide free entertainment, and it's also great fun to have a cocktail at one of the bars overlooking the beach.* Although it is a bit of an off season here, there were lots of people on the beach and along the main street walking around and shopping.* Besides resting for awhile by the beach, we did some window shopping and checked out some of the hotels but not much else.*

I read about a free historical tour at the Moana Surfrider Hotel, one of the original hotels on Oahu, offering great info about the hotel and Waikiki. The Moana was built in 1901 and is dubbed "The First Lady of Waikiki." The hotel holds free one-hour historical tours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11 a.m. – being Tuesday we missed that but did a bit of a look around.miss but can look around.

In one of the stores we passed by they had coconut bras and grass skirts for sale in the window.* I asked Freda if she would like an outfit, it would be great to sit on our balcony back home, reminiscing about the voyage while sipping a Blue Hawaiian.* For some reason she just gave me one of those looks.***

Tonight was the 5th and last of the exclusive shore events for those doing the full circumnavigation. Oceania description - The event is a 1940s Patriotic Evening Aboard the battleship Missouri.* Located on historic Battleship Row in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, a mere ship-length away from the USS Arizona Memorial, the USS Missouri is best known as the site of the end of World War II. Often referred to as "Mighty Mo," the decks of this battleship were where General Douglas MacArthur accepted the official surrender of Japan in September 1945. As the sun sets behind the Waianae mountain range, tour this hallowed vessel and enjoy hors d’oeuvres, cocktails and patriotic performances of tunes from the 1940s, featuring a troupe reminiscent of the Andrews Sisters.

The tour left Insignia around 5:15 and left the Missouri around 8pm.* One of the Robertson's tour buses had a wheel chair lift into the back of the bus so Freda was able to do the tour tonight. There kept the Terrace cafe open late for us but we had enough of the wonderful food on the tour that we were done eating for today.* Our time there went pretty much as scheduled - they have a lift from the dock up to the main deck for those that can't do the stairs.* We had a welcome drink when we arrived and toured that deck and the 1 above where the surrender signing took place - there is a plague in the floor where the table was.* Our event was at the aft of the ship.* The ship is is very good condition considering its age but the wood on the deck is in rough condition is places and they don't cover up the rust as fast as they do here on Insignia. Great to have most of the group together like this with a party atmosphere - lots of people taking photos of each other for their scrap books. Nothing against the GM that has been on for the last 2 months or so, but tonight the GM that started with us returned making an appearance at the event and he was very warmly welcomed back.* A few other staff talked a bit, mostly thanking all of us for believing in O enough to do this voyage.* I thought it might have been nice if someone from the ship had given a bit of a talk about the ships history as there are a number of non Americans in the group who don't know a lot is its history, otherwise the staff on board did a great job

It was raining up in the mountains so we did not get to enjoy the sunset tonight.*

While we did not go to the USS Arizona Memorial (it was very visible from the Missouri) some info about for future visitors – it is now Hawaii’s most visited attraction with more than 1.5 million visitors a year. The Visitor Center is free to the public and has a museum with exhibits about the Pearl Harbor attack. A Navy boat then ferries visitors to the USS Arizona Memorial itself; each visitor must get a numbered ticket, from the Visitor Center and a designated departure time. Before boarding the boat for the Memorial, visitors may watch a 20-minute film about the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Navy boats, memorial, Movie Theater, exhibit area, information desk and bathrooms are wheelchair accessible.

Regarding Pearl Harbor - Freda and I are both near the mid-point of the Baby Boom Generation.* We owe so much to what is known to many as the Greatest Generation. Back then it was not about me, but it was about the common good.* My dad was prime age for serving in WWII but was exempt due to hearing problems.* From a personal level it was nice not being in danger, but hard seeing so many friends and family serving while you could not.

Some of the excursions offered here go quite late so we have a much later departure than at most ports. The sun will have long said good-night by the time Insignia heads out so not much to see as we sail away - the vast majority of passengers including us will be in bed.

I asked the driver of our bus today... "Say, is this really a healthful place to live?"

"It sure is," he replied. "When I came here I couldn't say one word. I had hardly any hair on my head.* I didn't have the strength to walk across a room, and I had to be lifted out of bed."

"That's wonderful!"* I said, "How long have you been here?"

"I was born here."

Today’s quote - "Yesterday, December seventh 1941, a day which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.* We will gain the inevitable triumph, so help us God."* - Franklin Roosevelt