Jan 2016 World Cruise live report

Waynetor

Our transit started on time. There was rain in the area but as we have been moving through just cloud overhead. We only had a partial view of the tall buildings of panama City due to the low clouds. It is not as hot and humid as I expected.

The upper decks were very busy with passengers enjoying the transit process, especially while going through the locks. A lot of the crew were coming out for a quick look and take a photo to send back home. We saw where the new locks join the channel. The first ship to go through has been selected and we will be passing it later today,

In Horizons Oceania had trays of pastries set up along with the normal coffee machine. As I am typing this, a table of Panama Canal souvenirs is being set up in Horizons. Before entering the first set of locks the ships photographer got off the ship to take pictures of the process and of any passengers they could see. We are currently in Miraflores Lake approaching the Miraflores Locks.

As we sat around in Horizons watching the ships progress we sat with a couple that were about 15 years our senior. They told us about their love of RVing but had decided to join the voyage for this last segment. While they seemed very alert, it got me thinking of many of the elderly drivers we have seen, especially in Florida. I got shivers thinking of them barreling down the road in a 10 ton projectile the size of a bus.

Edited by Waynetor

Wayne,

THANKS for the posts, I enjoyed reading it. Your posts will also help us in few months when we start preparing for 2018 RTW which follow similar route.

I also have inside cabin and by reading your posts I think inside cabin did not have any negative impact on you which also give me survival confidence for six months.

Regards,

The near solid cloud conditions remained all day. Everything went quite smoothly - we had over a half hour wait to get in the last set of locks but that was no impact on anything.* The new locks are too far away to see the empty channels but I would imagine it will be easy to see tall ships going through them.* We did pass the first cargo ship (Costa Line) that used the lock today but it was in Gatun Lake as we passed it.* It seemed to be just a ceremonial voyage as we saw no other large ship in the lake or any in the new locks.

The sales of Panama items was very successful - most items sold out quickly except for hats.

At the start of the channel leading to Gatun locks a new bridge is being built - At this point just the massive support post have been built on both sides of the channel.*

A few events are planned for those of us doing the full voyage over the next few days.* An unofficial event today was a special cabin crawl* - I missed the first 1, a large suite on deck 6 but the 2 aft corner suites on deck 7 were open - I can see why those with money would love these cabins.* On a nice sea day there would never be a reason to leave your cabin. Thanks to those guest for opening up their cabins to the rest of us.

As we passed through one of the all-time great work projects today, here are a few project related thoughts for the day –

“It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.” - Harry S. Truman

“Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” - Michael Jordan

“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” - Michael Jordan

“Of all the things I’ve done, the most vital is coordinating the talents of those who work for us and pointing them towards a certain goal.”- Walt Disney

“All things are created twice; first mentally; then physically. The key to creativity is to begin with the end in mind, with a vision and a blue print of the desired result.” - Stephen Covey

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

When we went through the PC in 2014, our best view of the new locks from the ship was at the Pacific entrance. Entering from the Atlantic side we did not see any indication of them ... not even the construction hubbub that was quite apparent at the pacific end of the PC.

Jun 27 - Catagena, Columbia - 10am – 5 pm intro

Cartagena is a city on the northern coast of Colombia in the Caribbean Coast Region. The port city had a population of 892,545 as of the 2005 census.

The city was founded on June 1, 1533, and named after Cartagena, Spain. However, settlement in this region around Cartagena Bay by various indigenous people dates back to 4,000 BC.* Since it was founded it went through several periods of growth and decline with different leadership.

In 1984 Cartagena's colonial walled city and fortress were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Economic activities include maritime and industrial activities, (the manufacture of chemicals and products derived from petroleum refining), as well as tourism.* The port is the busiest container port in the country.

The average high temperature in June is 32C (90F) with about 89mm (3.5in) of rain.

Day 177 M – Ju 27 - Cartagena, Columbia

Buenos dias, good morning from Cartagena.

We were here once before and did a tour that took in the main tourist sites such as the walled old town (El Centro)and the fort (Castillo San Felipe de Barajas). The thick walls built around the old town were originally built to protect the city from pirates more than 300 years ago.* The walled city is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Having daylight coming in and out of port made for some enjoyable scenic viewing.* The port is at the end of a long bay.* From near the port there are great views of the many skyscrapers as well as the Fort.* As you sail further away from the port towards the sea it is mostly open area but you pass additional forts that protected the city from pirates in days of yore.

Today was a hot one - about 35c (95f), almost all sunshine and just a bit of a breeze near the waterfront. Oceania offered a shuttle to the old town and that is what I did, while Freda tried to keep cool on the ship.* It was about a 5 minute walk to the port gate area where some duty free shop was set up and taxis were available at the gate.* I did not go into the shop but as the shuttle drove by I saw a few peacocks strutting around the shop.* By the gangway a small tourist booth was set up - I was able to get an English old town map but the lady did not seem to speak much English.**You can walk to the old town if desired but we were warned on the ship not to – the ship guide said the old town was about 4km (2.5mi) but the shuttle ride was near 15 minutes and it seemed further that that.*

The last time here we only had some highlights of the old town.* Today I spent near 3 hours wandering all through the streets taking in the wonderful, colourful colonial architecture.* It is wonderful that the city had the foresight to preserve this area.* There are a couple cathedrals and several museums within the walled area.* Some of the buildings have been converted to boutique hotels.* The shops offer a wide range of goods - some pure tourism based and others directed mainly at the local population.* It seemed most of the people walking around were locals, they just walk with more of a purpose than the tourist.*

What I liked about the old town is that much of it is made up of pedestrian-only streets, filled with shops, cafes, and lots and lots of Columbians going about their daily business in a world Heritage site.

Besides the shops, there are a fair number of vendors with small stalls or just walking around.* I had no problem once I told them I was not interested in what they had.* In the area were the shuttle drop off was, I was offered several times a ride back to the ship for $10.* There were also some people in that area offering city tours in vans.

We were told on the ship the exchange was around 3,000 local to $1US but in talking to other passengers some shops gave a much poorer rate and some did not accept US$.* I did see some money exchange shops but did not see a posted rate.

I heard several complaints about a O tour that went to a near by island - the ride over was extremely rough and they only had a few chicken meals - most people had to have fish whether that was what the liked or not and they ran out of fruit well before most people got any several people.* The island was great,*but a terrifying ride for some combined with poor meal planning made many upset.* *

I have also heard various reviews from those doing their first canal crossing, some were totally amazed at the whole process while others just wished it would not take so long.* Some seem to forget that it is not designed as a Disney entertainment but as a business serving a business purpose.

Tonight those on the full voyage were invited to Horizons for an hour for a meet and mingle with the crew.* The first 30 minutes were just that, while the last 30 were mainly thank -you speeches from the crew and thank you speeches for the passengers.* It was nice that crew from many departments came, especially from the much appreciated laundry team.*

Adios/farewell to Columbia

Today’s thought for the day - The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for. - Louis L'Amour

The $10 fare to return to port is pretty typical ... that's also what we paid in 2014 ... more competition. Good that O is offering a shuttle to Old Town.

I've heard people complaining about the PC transit time. It always surprises me as we've enjoyed it every time we've done it. I think having an appreciation for what went into building the canal makes a big difference in one's perspective of the transit itself. Reading David McCullough's "A Path Between the Seas" is a good step towards learning about the history of the canal before one embarks upon a journey that goes through the PC.

After near 6 months aboard Insignia it feels like this has been a very good place to call home.* Many of the passengers and crew are beginning to feel like our neighbours and friends.*

We’ve been able to get to know a lot of the crew on a first name basis. It is going to be hard to leave as we've really come to look forward to seeing them every day. It’s actually gotten to the point that it just doesn't seem right to be ordering a drink from some of them – rather, we should be sitting down together having a round of drinks.

The wind picked up late last night and we had a very bumpy night.* Those with ocean view cabins on deck 3 and 4 had waves knocking at the windows most of the night.* It has calmed down a bit during the day but people still need to be careful when moving around. Also it has been cloudy most of the day.

Tonight both Polo and Tuscana restaurants are booked for the final full voyage passenger dinner.

I don’t usually report about issues other passengers have, but as we reach the end of this voyage here is a story for you.*

A man wasn't feeling well so he went to the ship’s doctor.* After examining him the doctor took his wife aside and said “your husband has a very sensitive heart.* I’m afraid he’s not going to make it much longer unless you continue to treat him like a king, just as he has been by the crew on board.* This means you are at his every beck and call, 24 hours a day and that he doesn't have to do anything himself.* On the way back to cabin the husband asked with note of concern “What did he say?”* “Well” the wife responded “he said you need to enjoy the next couple days as it looks like you probably won’t make it.”

Today’s thought for the day (hopefully not about me) - There is no greater bore than the travel bore. - Vita Sackville-West

Wayne, thank you so much for your excellent trip diary which will be so useful to those who do this cruise in the future. We enjoyed meeting you and Freda on board and around the ship, and sharing a muster station during our 71 days on board. When we got home it was very handy for us to download that portion of your blog - as we had already forgotten some details of the early days by the time we finished.

I was going to add a wonderful quote about travel and coming home again – and then I thought, what if I chose the very one you had been saving till last? Oh no!:eek:

So… will just say - safe travelling to you both in the future, wherever it may be. Cheers, d & d

I did a detailed mid cruise review and not a lot has changed.

Since then I would say that nightly shows in general have not been as good as in the earlier part of the cruise. We have not had as many issues with the destination desk and have not heard much from other guest regarding that department so I would upgrade my earlier marks.

To us the overall staff service has been excellent. We have not experienced any very slow dinners like we had a few times in the first half of the cruise. I have talked to some experienced O cruisers that have felt the service and food has gone downhill somewhat but that is far from an unanimous feeling. Often at dinner we share tables with guest that are doing a segment or 2 - we will have several staff greet us by name which is wonderful but I wonder how the others at the table that get no recognition feel.

We really enjoyed the more casual dress code of this ship. A jacket is never required at any of the restaurants. There are no "formal nights" which for us is a pleasure.

We really appreciated that many items that are extra on other cruise lines are included on Oceania. Soft drinks, cappuccino, milkshakes, etc. are all free. The fridge in our room was also stocked with soft drinks and water. While bar service is available just about anywhere, anytime, they are not constantly pushing it on you as is the case on other cruise lines. If you are poolside and want a ice tea, water, soft drink, it will be brought to you. If you want a drink you will get one easily but you won't be bombarded with constant attempts to sell you liquor. As I have mentioned before it is especially nice that that whenever you leave the ship there is bottled water available as you leave. On so many other ships, they are there to squeeze an extra few bucks out of you by selling water to you as head out for the day. Even though many of the free shuttles on the first half were to useless locations, in most ports on the second half they have been a major plus.

I, and many others doing the full voyage, feel that O needs to decide where they want to put the emphasis for these voyages. Do they want these cruises to be a world voyage where the emphasis is on those doing the full voyage with some segmenters filling in empty cabins or do they want to sell segments and just have an offer to to do the full voyage with little extras. While we did get things like a jacket and ball cap and various special service such as laundry, gratuities etc, it is mostly the repeating of some things that are an issue. We have had lectures repeat - while it is true there are 400 new guest, at the same time there are 200 that have heard the lecture already. The same applies to repeated shows. While the terrace cafe has done a lot to add special nights, the others restaurants have done nothing special - for example we have the same bread every night at dinner -there is thousands of ways to make buns or other breads - lets have some choice. The same goes for deserts - why the same Key Lime pie and cheesecake for a 180 days - they have proved at tea time they know how to make nice deserts but we get the same things over and over at dinner.

Thank you for all your postings. Some of them brought back wonderful memories and others twigged my interest so my bucket list has now grown a bit more. I just finished reading your last two weeks, so will duly miss your daily postings once your cruise is complete. Glad you got an earlier flight.

Today is a picture perfect sea day - about as calm as it could possibly be with pure sunshine - to bad some of it needed to be spent indoors.* The temp was around 28c / 82f with just a slight breeze - loved it.* Capped off with just enough late day clouds to make a wonderful sunset.

There was 1 thing I meant to mention in the previous post regarding those on the full voyage that O does not address well.* While the majority of passengers do not participate in events with Big O points, on the full voyage after awhile they start to become useless as there is so few items to redeem them for.* I have redeem over 1,700 points and have a few blankets, some canvas bags and about 25 long and short sleeve shirts.* I gave away some points today.* They started running out of some sizes back in Sydney so have had near a half cruise to restock but nothing new has arrived.* From what I hear, the same thing happened on last years shortened 109 day cruise.* I know the shirts are very cheap (cost O less than 50c) but the point is they should have enough to last a voyage and have some variety.* People don't need dozens of weigh scales.*

There was a lot happening around the ship today as this was not only a sea day, but the last sea day of this grand voyage.

This morning at 11:30 we had our 2nd last around the world guest gathering (there will be an attempt tomorrow to do a group photo).* This morning we had a Mimosa (champagne and orange juice) party.* It was part meet and mingle and part once again a big thank you from the senior staff on board.* One of the wonderful photographer passengers but together a great slide presentation put to music showing many of the highlights.* By the end there were a few tears starting to be shed.* I'm sure there will be a lot more over the next day+.

Following the big jackpot bingo game this afternoon there was a passenger talent show (the 2nd of the cruise) - a superb group and then our last afternoon trivia.* Our team came in 3rd for most points this segment.

For a show tonight we had the crew game show 'Lairs Cub' - always a good laugh.

We did some of our packing today.

Itinerary - Sensational, simply sensational.***We had to make a few changes along the way but that was not unexpected. The itinerary was the great attraction for us of this World Cruise, as unlike some other 'world cruises' it did do a full lap of the globe without a big rush. It will be impossible to select a 'best port' and I am not going to even try, as there were so many fantastic locations.* This voyage was very close to the initial planned world cruise itinerary but the 2015 version would have been slightly better in my opinion.*

As mentioned at the beginning of this voyage, Princess has been our cruise line of choice.* Three of the itineraries they offer that have been on our bucket list - 10 days French Polynesia, full Panama Canal (have done partial) and Singapore to Cape Town along the west coast of Africa.* This voyage has either knocked them off the list or at least way down.* Top on my list now are cruises that take in Norway, British Isles and Trans-Atlantic via Iceland and Greenland.

Another cruise I would love to do only exist in a short version.* I would love to take a slow ship across the Pacific to Sydney.* Typical trans-Pacific cruises are 26 – 30 days and include a few days in the Hawaiian Is.and New Zealand.* Version 1 of my ideal crossing would start in LA and the first south sea port would be the Marquesas Is (option to include a couple Mexican or Central American ports such as the new port in Honduras currently being built to reduce the number of straight sea days would be alright).* From Marquesas spend a week seeing other French Polynesian ports, then on to Cook Is, Samoa, American Samoa, Fiji (2 ports), Tonga, Vanuatu (2 ports), New Caledonia, Solomon Is, Papa New Guinea (3 ports) and then down the coast of Australia to Sydney with a couple ports along the way.* Version 2 could start either in LA or Miami but would include Panama City and continue down to Ecuador, over to Easter Is., then Pitcairn Is. and up to French Polynesia doing version 1 except for Marquesas Is.* If there are any other south sea ports missed, they would be added.* By skipping Hawaiian Is and New Zealand the total days would only be bit more than the more standard crossing – any cruise executives listening?

Bucket List:* - Today’s thoughts of the day - The world is an endless playground for life.* Why not keep a list of your top travel dreams and aspire to experience them all.* Even if you don’t manage to check them all off, just making the list is great inspiration for the soul.*

There was a young man who went off on his world cruise

Leaving Miami behind him and the winter blues

However he wrote loyally for us all to be amused

As he toured the world with Freda, his muse

His words we devoured joyfully each day

As he went around "His World, His Way"

We were also lucky enough to have another

The delightful cbb and her significant other

To the world he is known as Mr control alt delete

But to cbb, he is simply her Mr Wonderful

And her writings each day were truly colourful

These two Worldies brightened many a dreich morning

As I sat with the rain pouring down the awning

I ate my cornflakes whilst reading their news

It lifted my heart and many others I'm sure

To read of their exploits during this long world tour

The tales of folk they met and conversed with

Amazed us sometimes but always filled us with mirth

What a joy it was to read your live reports

From The Oceania Insignia with your fellow Oceania cohorts

While the rest of us still debated whether trousers or shorts!

Others joined you for a single voyage or two

Some exploring would be done but not as much as you

And while they headed home to work or play

The Worldies on the Insignia would thankfully stay

To continue their fabulous journey for another day

You've taken us around this amazing world

With laughter and joy as your journey fair twirled

The DH and I went on the Oceania Marina

And we thought our trip at 33 days was long

But when we returned you were still going strong

From Miami to Miami and many ports in between

It really has been the stuff of all of our dreams

Sadly your adventure is coming to an end

And cbb will be eating pizza with her darling munchkin

But we all wish you were starting it all over again!

There will be tears I'm sure when you leave your ship

To bid farewell to the crew who have looked after you the whole trip

You will have to pick up your own towels, make your own bed

And if you don't go shopping you will not get fed

It takes huge commitment to write every day

But write you both did, so thank you both we say

And hope very soon you will once again "Sail the world, Your Way"!

Many thanks for taking the time to write such in-depth and informative posts. I enjoyed following along on your RTW adventures, and greatly appreciated the information about the ports that we have in common with you next year. Safe travels.

We will be boarding as you leave in Miami. It will be our first Oceania cruise, and your wonderful description of Insignia has us very excited! I have really enjoyed your stories, and thank you for all the time you put into them.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

We will miss your reports which I have cataloged in a word document. We do world cruises on Holland America (3 so far) and your descriptions and reflections are now part of our port planning process. It even has us thinking about Oceania for a change. Thanks for your time and effort to bring us along. And our thanks to Freda who has to put up with all your time composing and on the computer. Safe travels in the future.

The descriptions, jokes, etc were wonderful reading every morning for the past six months. Thank you for every word. I will miss my mornings with these threads but will push for a world cruise one of these days. Thanks again.

There are 2 Key West – the city and the island.* The city of Key West is located on the island of Key West along with a few other smaller nearby islands.

Key West is 208km (129mi) southwest of Miami (about 260km (160mi) by car).* Cuba, at its closest point, is 151km (94mi) south.

Key West and most of the rest of the Keys are on the dividing line between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.* The two bodies have different currents, with the calmer and warmer Gulf of Mexico being characterized by great clumps of sea grass.* The area where the two bodies merge between Key West and Cuba is called the Straits of Florida.

Naval Air Station Key West is an important year round training site for naval aviation due to the superb weather conditions. It is also a reason the city was chosen as the Winter White House of President Harry S. Truman.

With the exception of a few other locations in the Florida Keys, Key West is the only location in the mainland U.S. known to never have had a frost or freeze – the lowest temperature on record was 41°F (5°C) on January 12, 1886 and January 13, 1981.* May through October is normally the wet season. During the wet season some rain falls on most days, often in quick tropical downpours, followed by intense sun. Early morning is the favoured time for these showers, which is different from mainland Florida.* The average high in June is 32C (90F).

We have been to this quaint and special little gem with its natural beauty a couple times before.* The other times here it was winter so the sun was just coming up and just setting as we approached and sailed away.* This time we got to see more.

Our day started with a quick immigartion on the ship.

Normally the ship docks in a very convenient area with easy access to the town and its main tourist sites but today a mid size RCI ship came in an hour after us and had the premium dock - we had to dock in the naval yard which means a shuttle ride.* Fortunately some of the buses had wheelchair access so Freda and I were able to explore the town more. .

One of the biggest attractions on the island is a concrete replica of a buoy at the corner of South and Whitehead Streets that marks the southernmost point in the contiguous 48 states.* The point was originally just marked with a sign, which was often stolen.* In response Key West erected the now famous monument in 1983.* Brightly painted and labelled "SOUTHERNMOST POINT CONTINENTAL U.S.A.", it is one of the most visited and photographed attractions in Key West.* We took some side streets to get there and then came back down Duval St, the main street into the heart of the tourist area.* At the marker there was a long line of people waiting their turn to take photos of themselves standing by the marker.* There is a small beach nearby but the water was a bit murky and there was lots of seaweed washed up at the shore.* We spent about 3.5 hours wandering around - the heat finally got to both of us - our shuttle driver said it had never reached a 100F in Key west but today it felt like it with the humidity.t

Back in Nov 2014 the Key Lime Pie Food Truck was in Toronto driving around giving out samples.* I missed it but the truck uses the recipe of the chef for Kermit’s Key West Key Lime Shoppe.* We stopped by there today and they sure have a wonderful election of items (200 Elizabeth St.)

We had a wonderful sailaway - with the band palying up on deck 9 they got all the full voyage passengers in a phot - haven't seen it yet but they did several shots in 2 places so hopefully at least 1 is good.* then passengers and most of the CD staff jump in the pool - there was over 30 in the pool at 1 time - many with just their regular clotes on w/o shoes and watches - a fun farwell.

There is a hop on hop off tour bus option but we did not use it.* With the hot weather, on the way back to the ship we stopped at a bar with outdoor table for a pint and a bit of people watching.

We saw a sign that says, "Old Timers Bar - all drinks 10 cents." We went in but were thinking this is too good to be true.

The old bartender says in a voice that carries across the room.* "Welcome, let me pour one for you! What'll it be?"

We noted that there seemed to be a fully-stocked bar, so we each ordered one of the Key Lime martinis.

In short order, the bartender serves up 2 iced martinis.* Shaken, not stirred, and says "That'll be 10 cents each, please."

We looked at each other and could not believe our good luck.

We paid the 20 cents, finished our martinis, and order another round.

Again, 2 excellent martinis (just like onboard Insignia) are produced with the bartender again saying,

"That's 20 cents, please."

We paid the 20 cents, but our curiosity became more than we could stand. Finally I said, "How can you afford to serve martinis as good as these for a dime apiece?"* "I'm a retired tailor from Boston," he said, "and I always wanted to own a bar. Last year I hit the Lottery for $125 million and decided to open this place.

Every drink costs a dime - wine, liquor, beer, it's all the same."

"Wow! That's quite a story," I said.

As we sipped our martinis, we notice several other folks at the end of the bar who don't have drinks in front of them, and haven't ordered anything the whole time we been there.

So I asked "What's with them?"

The bartender replies, "Oh, they're all senior citizens, and they're waiting for happy hour when drinks are half price."

For those of you waiting to board tomorrow, she’s a wonderful ship with excellent food and staff.* I have heard that 4 of those on the full world are staying on a a few others that got on in LA and are staying on for the next segment.* There will be some turnover of staff here leaving for well-deserved holidays while others return in order to do the next long voyage but the turnover of staff is not as high as I expected as O did not line up most staff to match the full voyage. Travel is definitely worth it since it makes one wise, I wish you also get your share of pleasant surprises, and come back with rich experience as your prize. Have a lovely trip.* We wish you a voyage full of great memories and a voyage full of successful dreams.* Bon Voyage!

I’ve knocked several items off my bucket list – hopefully by writing about it I’ve inspired others.

Although most people are very aware of most of the big tourist draws, the world is full of fascinating places.* Fortunately these days there is also a large array of places to get information.* There are many TV shows about interesting places that normally do not get big time attention, web sites forums like cruise critic are full of reviews and people willing to give free advice, there are also several photography forums that show members photos that inspire travel dreams and then there are also a great range of travel books – some are more an area guide while many others are beautifully done coffee table types with teaser photos of great sites.* I like the ‘501 places’ series.* I have the 501 Must Visit Destinations, the 501 Must Visit Natural Wonders, the 501 Must Visit Wild Places as well as 501 Must Take Journeys.* In a similar vein are recent National Geographic’s book Drives of a Lifetime (500) and Worlds Best Cities (220). These books just give a brief tease of the sites but enough to get you searching for more information.* Over the years National Geographic has done many books that can inspire travel dreams – they can sometimes be found at used book sales quite reasonable. Getting a list of UNESCO sites and learning something about them can also be inspiring.*

Although we are miles apart, happy birthday to a person I’m proud to call my big brother – see you shortly.* Enjoy your birthday – you deserve it.* Good luck blowing out all those candles.

Today’s thought for the day for anyone with a special brother

Today is a perfect day to tell you that you are:

B - Brilliant

R - Resilient

O - Outstanding

T - Tolerant

H - Honest

E - Entertaining

R - Responsible

Enjoy your Birthday, brother!

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list. Susan Sontag 1933-2004