Cruise Line match Agent's Quote?

Ahsndpro

I always check both, and on the occasion that X was more expensive than the TA or offered fewer perks (every time), they told me to book with the TA and so we did and always have gotten what was promised by the TA. It seems that X allows its preferred partners more leeway to offer incentives than it offers itself. Seems backwards to me, but whatever the best deal is, I'm all over it. The way I figure is I'm getting on the same ship, same cabin, same itinerary, so why pay more that the next guest? I'll take the lower fare and more perks thank you very much! And X is still making money as is the TA. Win, Win, Win

It's taken me a few cruises to sort this all out - but now I do compare & contrast.

First X Cruise - used a TA and was very pleased. Then tried to book future cruises through that TA and the customer service was rock bottom - so cancelled and booked through X for a couple of cruises, thereafter.

Fast forward ... had a cruise booked with X because of the above downgrade in service via a TA and then did some "shopping around". Found a TA that would give me the same cabin, same perks, but ~ $750 CAD in my pocket. I swapped out. Jury is still out for the verdict, until we sail and I can compare/contrast the service from booking until sailing - but so far, so good.

My next cruise was booked via X at an unbelievable rate (after final payment); so no one could do better than that - really, they couldn't!

So, I have learned in my short time span of booking cruises, that there isn't one better way over the other, just look at the situation, do a bit of homework, and above all - "don't settle".

Heather

Sorry, Walt. I didn't think that mentioning a first name would violate a rule since I never mentioned anything other than that. I know not to mention any agency or contact info but a common first name would be impossible to track down. Wasn't trying to lead anyone.

It's taken me a few cruises to sort this all out - but now I do compare & contrast.

First X Cruise - used a TA and was very pleased. Then tried to book future cruises through that TA and the customer service was rock bottom - so cancelled and booked through X for a couple of cruises, thereafter.

Fast forward ... had a cruise booked with X because of the above downgrade in service via a TA and then did some "shopping around". Found a TA that would give me the same cabin, same perks, but ~ $750 CAD in my pocket. I swapped out. Jury is still out for the verdict, until we sail and I can compare/contrast the service from booking until sailing - but so far, so good.

My next cruise was booked via X at an unbelievable rate (after final payment); so no one could do better than that - really, they couldn't!

So, I have learned in my short time span of booking cruises, that there isn't one better way over the other, just look at the situation, do a bit of homework, and above all - "don't settle".

Heather

I beg to differ. The last four cruises I've booked have been after final payment. In every case I got everything the cruise line offered plus an obc. Monday I booked a B2B on the Silhouette in December (after final payment and got an extra $175 obc per cruise, besides the drink package and the $330 obc from Celebrity.

Heather

Sorry, brain isn't functioning CAD?

Not to hijack this t/hread but why is it Canadian TA's can't or won't compete with US TA's. Do the CDN. TA's not get the same deal from the cruise lines.

Just a guess, but maybe a function of government regs and/or monetary units

I would love some pointers on finding a good and reliable agent that specializes in cruises.

This is one of the YUUUUGE limitations of Cruise Critic,,,,not being able to recommend a travel agent and not being able to contact a poster with a personal message. If there was a competitor to Cruise Critic that allowed these things with a more positive name like "Cruise Connoisseur", I would jump ship immediately.

This is one of the YUUUUGE limitations of Cruise Critic,,,,not being able to recommend a travel agent and not being able to contact a poster with a personal message. If there was a competitor to Cruise Critic that allowed these things with a more positive name like "Cruise Connoisseur", I would jump ship immediately.

Here's my best tip while remaining within the cc guidelines. Sign up for the cc emails. You'll get an email each week with the CC top 25 cruise deals. Those newsletters are often sponsored by TA. Also each of the top 25 are offered by agents that are sponsoring each deal. Pick a cruise you are interested in and price the deal with the cruise line, then price it with each of the agents you see on that newsletter. That should be a good starting point. That's how we found ours and we've priced each cruise we've taken since and have been unable to beat the one we chose.ask what perks the agency offers. Do they offer loyalty perks? Do they offer referral fees etc. It takes a little research, but if you put the time in and shop during the big cruise sales you'll find one you think is best for you. Good luck

Here's my best tip while remaining within the cc guidelines. Sign up for the cc emails. You'll get an email each week with the CC top 25 cruise deals. Those newsletters are often sponsored by TA. Also each of the top 25 are offered by agents that are sponsoring each deal. Pick a cruise you are interested in and price the deal with the cruise line, then price it with each of the agents you see on that newsletter. That should be a good starting point. That's how we found ours and we've priced each cruise we've taken since and have been unable to beat the one we chose.ask what perks the agency offers. Do they offer loyalty perks? Do they offer referral fees etc. It takes a little research, but if you put the time in and shop during the big cruise sales you'll find one you think is best for you. Good luck

Read you trip, thanks! We have 2 travel agents we use but are always on the lookout for options to find the best deal;)

I can't even get my Celebrity 'personal cruise consultant' to reply let alone match anything. 3 Celebrity cruise booked and emails (his stated preference although I called too) to both him and TA for each one. He (Celebrity) has never replied. TA had me priced, cabin held and deposit to hold it done before I finished texting husband to let him know he was packing again.

I did call HAL once to ask if they would match TA pricing. Quote from HAL girl, "why wouldn't you book with TA if she is lower?". Well, I was giving them a chance but I guess I got my answer!

The one thing that may make a difference is that I have the Celebrity Passages that I have not been able to use with TA but would probably get to use with cruise line booking. The prices TA gives me are way better than Celebrity so it hasn't been an issue except they have been useless pieces of paper.