First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Hi Norris - Looking forward to your detailed review. We are doing the same ship, same itinerary, departing February 28. I have most of the trip planned except what to do on St. Kitts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Richard you have a month to choose. By that time you'll have seen our Sugar train and catamaran excursion. That might appeal.

Thanks for joining us here!

Norris

Hi Norris,

I have been enjoying reading your "Gentleman's Seafaring Journal."

My husband and I were on this cruise as well. We were part of the 2nd Honeymooner Group from The Villages,FL. Perhaps you saw all the red shirts onboard. It is so interesting reading about all the different options that we did not try! Your pictures and videos are great. Happy to be sailing along with you on this adventure once again!

Annette

Annette , thanks for the comments on the photos and video!

Yes I saw the red shirts. I am sure you had a lot of fun together. Thanks for coming aboard.

Norris

Norris, thank you so much for your postings. We are on the April TA. You are making my countdown easier.

Cindy, thanks for visiting!

Easier countdowns-I'm all for that.

Norris

Although I haven't tried it personally, from what I've read the NCL Haven suites would appear to be right up your alley.

Robert

Robert, welcome.

Yes the Haven is a great concept on NCL as is the Waterfront outdoor dining but I'd still be on a ship with a waterpark spoiling the top deck.

Similarly MSC has the yacht Club suites on a similar theme but horrific review scores for other passenger categories.

Costa doesn't have the innovations of the other two but again low scores from people used to better (American) lines. I've watched the Youtube video series featuring the behind the scenes lives of the crew. Interesting indeed. Their entertainment is a head scratcher. Again not for me.

Thanks for the comment!

Norris

Great photos and video sailing into San Juan. El Morro is a magnificent fortress. You got some wonderful shots of it.

Jasperdo, it's an easy subject to photograph- it stands still, doesn't have to fix it's hair or take it's sunglasses off to pose.

Glad you liked those shots.

Norris

Before we set off on the Segway tour everyone was getting in some last minute practice on the ramp and in the small courtyard. I had just parked mine when I heard a crash behind me-a rider had been going too fast to stop in time and hit another rider's Segway, toppling it and the rider over. I was close and ran forward to try to break the rider's fall as there was a stone wall he was about to hit his head on. He fell but missed hitting his head. I tried to get the Segway off him as it was laying on him but needed help as it was so heavy. Jorge came to the rescue. His shoulder was giving him pain and once righted to his feet Jorge's assistant led him and his wife into the office. I assumed an ambulance or a taxi was going to be called to get him back to the ship to see the Doctor.

We were going to be two short on our tour now and Jorge rallied us and prepared to set off-with a previously instructed reminder to Keep away from the other Segways!

Ok- I just waited for two hours for youtube to process this video so it's fresh and piping hot.

Norris

Norris.

This review has been enlightening and informative. We are RCCL cruise folks for 225+ night and going on a first time to Celeb Silly in early March. Your photos and comments are informative as we have NO idea on what to expect on Celeb and the Silhouette. Look forward to hearing the rest of your trip.

THANKS!:)

Good questions and welcome aboard!

RE engine/Azipod vibration- Only when the ship is doing a docking maneuver is there vibration. If you look at my sail away videos there is no shake or shimmer to the picture and both cameras were on tripods attached to parts of the ship.

The soot that accumulated daily would have covered the lower half of a thimble if collected- insignificant and I only noticed it on one day.

The con to an aft cabin is the long walks to get anywhere.

There will be a sound like a gigantic washing machine on the balcony when the ship is doing 20+ knots. Close the door and it is gone. Very little wind on an S Class aft, none on Princess Grand Class as the aft is vertical.

Alaska- don't wait until you are there. I like to choose excursions while sitting at home with a glass of beer and a cat to pet. That beats standing at an excursion desk in line only to find it is sold out. Excursion desks usually only open for a couple of hours in the morning with 3 or 4 staff and a lot of customers some who don't know what they want or are lonely and just want to talk to someone. Book at home is best for me.

We used Island Wings and Harv n Marv by writing them directly. We did the same with Era Helicopters in Juneau. All other AK excursions were booked with Princess.

If you check my 2 Alaska reviews you will see the range of things available and they are just the tip of an ice berg-some involve a sea plane ride and landing at a lodge in a lake to eat fresh salmon. That doesn't sound too shabby.

E.g We landed on Taku Glacier in a helicopter

Saw whales from a boat holding just 7 people (2 Harv n Marv trips)

Got close to bears in the rainforest woods

Saw eagles from a fast riverboat

Kayaked in the Yukon

Rode a train down a scenic mountain

Flew over Misty Fjords with Michelle.

These are all in photo and video in my reviews.

Hope this helps.

Norris

Thank you so much for all your information! Is there a easy way to find your Alaska reviews? I really appreciate all of your insight!

Since you were just there, what is The Porch? I'm familiar with the other restaurants like Qzine, Tuscan Grille, Lawn Club Grill and Murano but not the Porch.

Norris, don't mean to make you jump ahead, but I'm curious as to if the Molecular Bar was still on the Silhouette or if it had been replaced by the World Class Bar?

Thanks!

Hi mit- it is still the former -has 4 hummingbird visuals and lots of empty seats each time I passed. It lacks signage too.

Photos much later in the review.

Norris

Norris.

This review has been enlightening and informative. We are RCCL cruise folks for 225+ night and going on a first time to Celeb Silly in early March. Your photos and comments are informative as we have NO idea on what to expect on Celeb and the Silhouette. Look forward to hearing the rest of your trip.

THANKS!:)

Hi and thanks for the comments-informative...I try to be, along the way. I don't plan on being encyclopedic and dry but can answer questions and enjoy doing so. Feel free to ask as we go along.

You are a serious cruiser to have 225+ nights on RCCL!! I need to catch up!

You will love this ship.

Glad to have you along for a nice long ride to some wonderful places.

Norris

We plan Luminae first night. Have Tuscan Grille reserved leaving Skagway. I did a Segway tour at Disney. Great fun!

Luminae was open for embarkation lunch so we took advantage but didn't want to eat twice there in the same day.

Tuscan Grille will be featured in a forthcoming episode of this serial.

We have Segway tours in Chicago within walking distance of our loft- just waiting for some pleasant temperatures.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Norris

Thank you so much for all your information! Is there a easy way to find your Alaska reviews? I really appreciate all of your insight!

Since you were just there, what is The Porch? I'm familiar with the other restaurants like Qzine, Tuscan Grille, Lawn Club Grill and Murano but not the Porch.

My Alaska reviews are shown in my signature at the end of everything I write.

I just know the Porch as a visually pleasing place to dine. I didn't look at their menu. If you use the search window top right of the CC page and type The Porch Menu it should bring up posts that will help. Or maybe someone reading this can chime in. It's one of our NEXT TIME venues.

Norris

Just wanted to chime in on how much I'm enjoying your travel log...and I am slowly making my way through your other reviews as well while waiting for new posts! Thanks for helping me get through the Chicago winter doldrums.

I was on the Silhouette for New Year's and the Crown Princess was my first cruise (waaaay back in 2011)...your photos brought back some great memories of the ship that "hooked" me!

Megan

Just wanted to chime in on how much I'm enjoying your travel log...and I am slowly making my way through your other reviews as well while waiting for new posts! Thanks for helping me get through the Chicago winter doldrums.

I was on the Silhouette for New Year's and the Crown Princess was my first cruise (waaaay back in 2011)...your photos brought back some great memories of the ship that "hooked" me!

Megan

Megan, thanks for letting me know you are reading along.

The Crown was our first Grand Class ship and first suite. A great cruise!

Stay Hooked!

Norris

Thanks Jasperdo! Tippy was of course the woman pecked to death by crows while taking a shower in the movie The Birds.

I am always happy to have a fact-checker. For instance I called this review Celebrity Silhouette but my cruise was actually on the Eurodam. I get confused easily.

Norris

Love your sense of humor (and manners)!:)

Love your sense of humor (and manners)!:)

Thanks mahi mahi for the compliments.

I get my manners from watching Downton Abbey with Lady Carol when we have formal dinner each evening. My favorite character is Carson, the butler.

Now, will that be all, M'Lady?

Norris

We are loving our Segway tour and our guide Jorge. The Segways are fun to ride but especially so now as we are getting away from traffic and close to the sea.

More video coming up but I'll pop in a few photos so the scenery isn't just whipping by in a blur.

Jorge stops under a banyan tree

24093058224_8483c6d404_b.jpg

Here's that little sliver of beach we saw when the ship was sailing into port.

24627727721_4492203069_b.jpg

At our backs is the city wall

24695021356_d474cc07cc_b.jpg

We climb up and away from the sea through an archway in the city wall to stop in a small square

24721240085_09abdc21e5_b.jpg

24353578839_ff85bc85cd_b.jpg

Where there is a beautiful statue

24353615909_1a1c2717bf_b.jpg

Megan

I lost 2 days to the Emerald review! Moving on to the others is dangerous but I'm in the mood for a risk. I even turned signatures back on long enough to gather links :)

I lost 2 days to the Emerald review! Moving on to the others is dangerous but I'm in the mood for a risk. I even turned signatures back on long enough to gather links :)

Hi, I'm glad you read the Emerald one. I think Carol would agree that it has been our most amazing cruise abroad and followed the Venice to Rome cruise of a year before but gave us even more opportunity to bathe in the Italian lifestyle and history, so the camera got a lot of work as did our feet. We discovered Barcelona too and it was love at first sight.

We'll be back to Italy some day soon I imagine. We cancelled a Baltic cruise that August to see Italy once more and it was worth it.

Glad you are catching up on your reading! Thanks for telling me.

Norris