Virgin Gorda Baths trip - how do the paths work?

Jezo

We are booked on this cruise excursion for our Gem trip next week. I have read there are different ways to walk down the paths from the parking lot? Is there a map that we need or a specific path that we are supposed to follow? We want to go through the whole rock and water area everyone posts pictures of. What are the differences between the paths and will we know which way to go?

My wife and I took the cruise excursion to the Virgin Gorda with NCL. There was no guide. It was just transportation. Once we got to the location, we were on our own. There are other threads on this topic. The advice we got was to go the back way to get there and when we leave to go through the rock formation. There are signs that will direct you. It was very easy. I can't remember the details though.

When I went to the Baths with NCL there was no guide. There are 2 trails. One goes directly to the Baths beach area, and is the shorter of the two. The other goes to Devils Bay, and is about twice as long as the other trail. I took the longer of the two, but when I was heading through the caves to the Baths, I was heading against the main flow of traffic, and literally had to force myself through against all of the others. If I had it to do again, I would just go to Devils Bay, which is the nicer of the two beaches, and then back up the longer trail...

So walk to the beach first and come back up through the rocks will let us go with the majority of the flow of traffic?

Are there only two paths?

First then we should take the sign that points to the baths and once we get to the baths how do we find the path that takes us through the rocks? Will that rock path then take us back up to the parking lot?

It's such a short day, is there any time at all to stop at the beach or will we just hustle down the sand and start coming back up as soon as we get there?

So walk to the beach first and come back up through the rocks will let us go with the majority of the flow of traffic?

Are there only two paths?

First then we should take the sign that points to the baths and once we get to the baths how do we find the path that takes us through the rocks? Will that rock path then take us back up to the parking lot?

It's such a short day, is there any time at all to stop at the beach or will we just hustle down the sand and start coming back up as soon as we get there?

We took this excursion last month. There was no guide. There was someone at the parking lot who told us what time to be back. Then we were off.

Once you arrive at the parking lot you will have TWO PATHS to choose from: the first, will be to walk down a fairly simple path that leads right to the Baths. The second would be to take the path to Devil's Bay.

We took the path to the Baths. It was not that hard. You will walk down a somewhat easy trail from the parking lot. We saw others taking the other path.

10314696_1142218972456046_4115753078885002963_n.jpg?oh=e4dead70be8f6b492b0d5300cbd5246a&oe=57384B5D

12540776_1142218549122755_7232002841172491352_n.jpg?oh=7cc4ebcbd660e9b89731470df2d0aead&oe=570179DE

Then we went to the caves. This part can be challenging but was good experience. The trail requires climbing up and jumping off rocks, squeezing between and under rocks, navigating ladders and plank gangways etc.

Then we followed a group who are in a different excursion going to Devils Bay.

12418011_1142508285760448_2313152699656879288_n.jpg?oh=b9dfa556ef6ecfdd7e2e1ca27918d3b2&oe=5736B877

There are signs that will direct you.

12540719_1142511605760116_2821157312149039655_n.jpg?oh=4b23119ba8d208261ace41db334e11c4&oe=573E27C0

Then we went to the caves.

So the caves are not along one of the paths leading to and from the parking lot but are a side trip once you make it down to the beach? Are there signs directing to the caves once you are at the water?

Whats the difference between devil's bay and the baths, besides the trail that takes you there?

So the caves are not along one of the paths leading to and from the parking lot but are a side trip once you make it down to the beach? Are there signs directing to the caves once you are at the water?

Whats the difference between devil's bay and the baths, besides the trail that takes you there?

When you arrive at the Baths, the Caves will be on the LEFT SIDE (facing the beach/water). I can't remember if there was a sign but it was very easy to spot.

Devil's Bay and The Baths are both gorgeous so were happy that we saw both. Devil's Bay felt less crowded.

When I went to the Baths with NCL there was no guide. There are 2 trails. One goes directly to the Baths beach area, and is the shorter of the two. The other goes to Devils Bay, and is about twice as long as the other trail. I took the longer of the two, but when I was heading through the caves to the Baths, I was heading against the main flow of traffic, and literally had to force myself through against all of the others. If I had it to do again, I would just go to Devils Bay, which is the nicer of the two beaches, and then back up the longer trail...

Unfortunately we encountered more than a few "wrong way hikers" who chose to go CLOCKWISE (aka, the wrong way) from Devils Bay to the Baths, instead of the way that traffic is suppose to flow (from the Baths beach, through the caves, to Devils beach). This misdirection ends up adding considerable time for the hike, since there are multiple areas that are "one person at a time" maneuvers.

We are booked on this cruise excursion for our Gem trip next week. I have read there are different ways to walk down the paths from the parking lot? Is there a map that we need or a specific path that we are supposed to follow? We want to go through the whole rock and water area everyone posts pictures of. What are the differences between the paths and will we know which way to go?

Two paths, one is a like more gentle than the other. They both end up at the rocks. We prefer to go down the path to the right (by the entrance hut) and up the other one, but they are both 2 way. So either way you can't go wrong.

Unfortunately we encountered more than a few "wrong way hikers" who chose to go CLOCKWISE (aka, the wrong way) from Devils Bay to the Baths, instead of the way that traffic is suppose to flow (from the Baths beach, through the caves, to Devils beach). This misdirection ends up adding considerable time for the hike, since there are multiple areas that are "one person at a time" maneuvers.

So, by your logic, anyone who goes to Devils Bay first is wrong? And by the same twisted logic, the way you chose to go was right? There is a choice of 2 trails. Whether you choose to go down one or the other is not "right" or "wrong" just a personal choice...

We did this during our Thanksgiving cruise. It's awesome! Here is a tip...go to the left down the path to Devils Bay when you first get there. Everyone else goes straight to the baths. We had this beautiful trail all to ourselves seeing many hermit crabs and lizards and mounds of butterflies . Then it opens up to reveal Devils Bay beach...wow! We were the only ones there for awhile...so amazing. After awhile we took the trail to the baths and found our own private little area. A once in a lifetime experience that we will never forget:-)

This is absolutely the way to go!!!

Baths....caves....Devils beach!!! Counterclockwise....or to be even clearer....go down on right....go thru baths...come up on left.

This is one time you want to follow the crowd

It's not like at Disney where the lesser crowds are to the left.

We did this during our Thanksgiving cruise. It's awesome! Here is a tip...go to the left down the path to Devils Bay when you first get there. Everyone else goes straight to the baths. We had this beautiful trail all to ourselves seeing many hermit crabs and lizards and mounds of butterflies . Then it opens up to reveal Devils Bay beach...wow! We were the only ones there for awhile...so amazing. After awhile we took the trail to the baths and found our own private little area. A once in a lifetime experience that we will never forget:-)

And what about the people going thru the caves? Since you were technically going the wrong way...didn't you cause a traffic jam?

So, by your logic, anyone who goes to Devils Bay first is wrong? And by the same twisted logic, the way you chose to go was right? There is a choice of 2 trails. Whether you choose to go down one or the other is not "right" or "wrong" just a personal choice...

Except if you don't follow the crowd when you go thru the caves....for every 2 people going your way.....20 will be coming the other way

It's too narrow for that!!!!!

You will be sorry if you don't follow the proper flow of foot traffic. You will find this out when you see the flow of people in the caves

But go ahead and buck the system just to prove a point. ....and cause a massive backup and waste precious excursion time for those of us that see the logic that playing follow the leader is the best thing here

If you just want a beach fine but if you plan to maneuver the caves have fun going against traffic. Lol

This is not brain surgery......there are 2 beaches separated by huge boulders that you can walk...crawl....climb ....through to reach the other beach.

The right side beach is called the baths....then come the boulders....that you go through if you want to reach the left side beach....called Devils bay

You do not have to go thru the boulders and can just stay on either beach but the fun of the experience is going through the boulders....and you will be grateful that you followed the crowd and went the correct way as you will need people in front of you and behind you...going in the same direction as you as this allows for ease of traffic flow...plus they will shout climbing strategy to you

They will advise of slippery rock...tight spots...climbing

Well at least that was my experience

Think of the boulders...aka...caves...as a hike and you are part of the hiking party....you just follow the leader....or you can go against traffic and cause problems for the majority of hikers

This excursion is not as difficult as posters make it out to be but if you get down there and choose to just stay at the baths beach and forgo the hike through the boulders to Devils bay you can just walk right back up the way you came down

The walk up and down is not difficult...just don't wear flip flops or fancy sandals. Beach sandals with a strap ...like Tevas...are good.

I advise that if you know in advance that you do NOT want to maneuver the boulders then it's wise to decide which beach you want to visit....if that is your case then IMHO Devils bay is better...which means that you go both down and then back up on the left side path....but since you won't be traversing the boulders it won't matter as you won't cause a traffic jam

:)

I was thinking "These people are WAY over thinking this place!" But, I understand. I have friends who lived on St. Thomas so we rode over to Virgin Gorda one Sunday morning and spent most of the day at The Baths. My guess is there wasn't more than 20 people there, including us three. The area is only about 7 acres in size (my yard is about that size...). But, after thinking about it, if a cruise ship docks...it might be a little more crowded. :eek:

We did eat breakfast at a little restaurant right where the "bus" drops you off for The Baths. It was a nice day.

Good luck!

When you arrive at the Baths, the Caves will be on the LEFT SIDE (facing the beach/water). I can't remember if there was a sign but it was very easy to spot.

Devil's Bay and The Baths are both gorgeous so were happy that we saw both. Devil's Bay felt less crowded.

Are the caves part of the path that takes you between the beaches or is it a side trip?

From reading all of this we first go down the path the Baths, the right hand side, then arrive at the beach, and then the caves are to the left when facing the water, so walk along that way, but what happens after the caves? Do I end up at Devil's Bay or am I someplace else?

Parking Lot -> Right Side Path To The Baths -> Walk Left -> Caves -> ??? -> Back up to the parking lot.