Refund for Missed ports

SadieN

Reading on a roll call that some insurance (no idea which company) policies refund for missed ports.

Do some policies refund for itin changes even before the cruise sails? Or just a rerouting of the schedule?

Thanks.

That's what I thought.

I know that there's usually some compensation if you need to play catch up.

If I find out which company/policy, I'll come back with the info.

Edited by SadieN

The thread discussing this is on the front page of this forum. I remain confused as to the OP's claims, as I have read the policy and discussed this coverage with an agent at Nationwide.

And, according to the agent, you do not get paid simply because your ship misses a port.

The Nationwide Choice plan has two provisions for changed ports, the first is a change prior to departure, and a specific amount for a documented, planned itinerary change. The Choice plan allows $750 for this.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/popup/certificate/NWC2/ITINERARYCHANGE.html?quoteId=6e3WePQsC28S&rev=5

The second part of the coverage is onboard inconvenience, which allows a lesser amount, $250 for a variety of mechanical and service issues, including a 3+ hour delay in reaching a port (or not at all).

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus that affects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or 5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

The Nationwide Choice plan has two provisions for changed ports, the first is a change prior to departure, and a specific amount for a documented, planned itinerary change. The Choice plan allows $750 for this.

If you read the actual policy, it states you may receive up to $750 for a port change to cover non-refundable payments you may have made for excursions, etc., not that you are cut a check for $750 simply because the port changed. I have verified this with a Nationwide rep, though poster on the other thread states he got a payment and had no monetary loss.

So, suggest verification of this clause before purchasing this policy.

Edited by 6rugrats

Rugrats,

That is taken from the actual policy. Not sure why your actual policy reads differently than what I quoted above, but my quotes were taken directly from the Nationwide Cruise Choice plan Description of Coverage. Full plan here https://www.insuremytrip.com/pdf.php?cert=NW/NWC2/NWC2r5_cert_DefaultFulfillment

This coverage is at the bottom of page 11 and beginning of page 12 of the 38 page document. The limitation you note is not specified in the plan description or the definition (previously linked in my post above).

It is possible that different states have different versions of coverage? Could you please post a DOC link to the version you describe? Thank You.

The thread discussing this is on the front page of this forum. I remain confused as to the OP's claims, as I have read the policy and discussed this coverage with an agent at Nationwide.

And, according to the agent, you do not get paid simply because your ship misses a port.

As the OP of this thread, I'm confused also. On the company's website I could not find the full policy, only the summary page.

Edited by SadieN

It is possible that different states have different versions of coverage?

I think this could be the culprit. ;)

I noticed when I looked at the Doc from the link above it shows in the heading "2014-11-19-Final-Choice-33 States" and is 38 pages.

But when I used my state (Florida) for the quote, the Doc heading is "2014-11-17-Final-Choice-FL" and the sole itinerary change info listed is on page 14 (of 17 pages):

ITINERARY CHANGE

In the event a Cruise/Travel Supplier makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your actual departure date that prevents You from participating in an event/activity pre-paid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, nonrefundable pre-paid event/activity expenses will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled during the course of the Trip.

Verification by the Cruise/Travel Supplier of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim

payment.

To check the difference I used Ohio for my residence in another quote, and I got the other terms:

ITINERARY CHANGE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – INCONVENIENCE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary after Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus that

affects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or 5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – PRE-PAID EXCURSION

In the event a Cruise makes ca hange in Your Trip itinerary after Your actual departure date that prevents You from participating in an event/activity pre-paid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, nonrefundable pre-paid event/activity expenses will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled during the course of the Trip.

So I guess for me to be able to get the better coverage I would need to leave Florida LOL.

(Just noting that I just bought insurance for my next cruise through Travel Safe because I like the "primary" payer option (they pay first).

The one thing I haven't been able to comprehend is what the payment would be if an insurable event (itinerary change) occurred.

It says

will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

If you're in one of the states where a change prior to departure is insurable what is the damage other than possible disappointment?

Maybe I'm just dense (one of the kinder things I've been called:rolleyes:)

Charlie