Can I Change Dining Time for Sail Away Day?

LaShelle2

We'll be sailing the Adventure out or San Juan and the ship leaves port 8pm. We have late seating dinner, but enjoy being on deck for sail away festivities. Will they allow us to eat early the first day even if we don't have my time dining? We prefer formal dining over the Windjammer for dinner.

We'll be sailing the Adventure out or San Juan and the ship leaves port 8pm. We have late seating dinner, but enjoy being on deck for sail away festivities. Will they allow us to eat early the first day even if we don't have my time dining? We prefer formal dining over the Windjammer for dinner.

You cannot change your dining time one night when you have traditional (fixed) dining. If you don't want to eat at your assigned time, you can go to Windjammer or a specialty restaurant.

Edited by clarea

If you don't want to eat at the Windjammer why not try a speciality restaurant. Every ship we've sailed on recently has had special offers on the first night, often BOGO, and plenty of late availability.

We have the same issue on every cruise.. even when the ship leaves at 4:30-5:00. We also like to attend the sailaway show in the main theatre which is put on only once in the evening (other nightly shows usually have 2 showings). So- we want to be there for sailaway, and the show, which are about 2 hours apart. Doesn't leave enough time to prepare for, and enjoy a nice dinner. So, we usually just grab a quick bite at Johnny Rockets, or Windjammer. We also prefer the more formal dining experience, but are fine with writing off that first night.

Having early seating the first night isn't possible as your table will be being used by someone else. As others have suggested, this will be a good time to try a specialty restaurant if the WJ doesn't appeal to you - although you will find it much nicer for dinner than breakfast or lunch.

Why do they only do the one show on the first night? Is there a reason they can't do two, like every other night?

Cruise Directors have told us that the first night is usually a very light night for show attandance. They would rather have one well attended show than two poorly attended shows.

Thanks for the great suggestions. This will be my 2nd time cruising out of San Juan. The 1st cruise, we were in the middle of our appetizer course when the ship set sail. I don't want to miss another one. Sail away is one of my favorite parts of the cruise, and I especially look forward to seeing the city lit up at night.

DW and I must be strange; we never miss a show. To me the evening's entertainment is a big part of the value in cruising.

MANY cruisers are flying in the same day so there is many people travel weary and not making night entertainment.

I have yet to go to a welcome onboard show where it was super crowded.

Late seating is usually 8:30 out of San Juan. You might be a few minutes late for dinner, but you should have plenty of sail away time.

You can always ask. If there is space they will seat you. Many tables are empty the first night because people are exhausted from traveling. Of course many people also only show up on the first night and lobster night. I would be surprised if they did not seat you. You probably won't get your same late seating table or servers. As the cruise progresses and fewer people show up at MDR and new friends are made on the cruise many people change tables. I have yet to find a head waiter that won't accommodate reasonable changes.

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1

Late seating is usually 8:30 out of San Juan. You might be a few minutes late for dinner, but you should have plenty of sail away time.

I know early seating is pushed back 30 minutes on day 1, so maybe they push back late seating to 9pm?

Edited by clarea

I know early seating is pushed back 30 minutes on day 1, so maybe they push back late seating to 9pm?

Bob, I wish this old brain could remember! I know on some cruises the combination of sail time and the muster drill has made late seating later. 4 times out of San Juan, but I just can't remember. I’ll have to pay attention in December.

The more we cruise, the less important sail away has become. Depends also on the port. Bayonne there is lots to see, Port Everglades maybe, Venice beautiful, many others there is nothing really to see 5 minutes after you depart. San Juan is dark at 8 PM (most months), so there is definitely less incentive. Plus we do deck 12; we are not dancing on the pool deck.