Balcony to Mini Suite Upgrade a good idea?

jolly_cruiser

Experienced Princess Cruisers,

My apologies if this question has been discussed on this forum before, but i could not see it after a quick search.

I am considering a Balcony to Mini Suite upgrade for my upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise out of LA in March on the Crown Princess.

The difference in cost is not a factor.

I am currently on the Aloha deck (starboard) and will potentially move to the Dolphin deck ( Port side ).

1. Is this a good idea considering the Deck and Cabin locations?

2. Other than then obvious size difference and the benefits of a mini Suite is there any thing else that i should be aware of? This will be my first time in a Mini Suite.

3. Any other perks/benefits to a mini suite as opposed to a balcony?

Thanks in Advance for all the responses.

Edited by jolly_cruiser

Seriously' date=' the only reason to book a mini suite is the additional space. Only you can determine whether that space is worth the additional cost.

As noted, the only perk is the glass of champagne.[/quote']

Thank you. The cost is not a factor.

I was also trying to understand how the Dolphin deck balconies compares to the ALoha deck balconies. I just found out that the Dolphin deck mini suite balconies are completed exposed?

I made the mistake of taking an upgrade from the balcony to the mini-suite three cruises ago -- the price difference was very small, so why not? Well, I now know the "why not?" Because now my wife insists on the mini-suite!! Our fourth mini-suite is coming up next week.

The main differences: (1) The sitting area between the bed area and the balcony. There is a nice sofa to relax on. (2) The bathroom is almost a normal sized bathroom, with a bath! I no longer get unexpected hugs from the shower curtain!!

The balcony is no larger, and the balcony furniture is no better -- darn, they really should do something about that old balcony furniture!

Perks: Early boarding. (If you are Platinum, you already get this.)

Location: I have been very careful in my location selection. Dolphin, in either the D-300 or D-400 series. Nothing loud above or below you, and very little ship movement to feel.

Warning: The way the ship's sides are constructed, if you are outside on Dolphin, the people on Caribe, Baja and Aloha immediately above you can look down onto your balcony. You have no privacy on the balcony. For me, sitting outside and reading, enjoying a cup of tea or a soda, this is not important. I have exchanged pleasantries with my neighbor above a few times. But I know some people have complained about it.

I made the mistake of taking an upgrade from the balcony to the mini-suite three cruises ago -- the price difference was very small, so why not? Well, I now know the "why not?" Because now my wife insists on the mini-suite!! Our fourth mini-suite is coming up next week.

The main differences: (1) The sitting area between the bed area and the balcony. There is a nice sofa to relax on. (2) The bathroom is almost a normal sized bathroom, with a bath! I no longer get unexpected hugs from the shower curtain!!

The balcony is no larger, and the balcony furniture is no better -- darn, they really should do something about that old balcony furniture!

Perks: Early boarding. (If you are Platinum, you already get this.)

Location: I have been very careful in my location selection. Dolphin, in either the D-300 or D-400 series. Nothing loud above or below you, and very little ship movement to feel.

Warning: The way the ship's sides are constructed, if you are outside on Dolphin, the people on Caribe, Baja and Aloha immediately above you can look down onto your balcony. You have no privacy on the balcony. For me, sitting outside and reading, enjoying a cup of tea or a soda, this is not important. I have exchanged pleasantries with my neighbor above a few times. But I know some people have complained about it.

Mike45LC...that is hilarious...yes am sure the wife will insist on one going forward :)

Ever since we went from inside to balcony we have never been back to the Inside. I can see how this can have a long term effect.

I did realize about the exposed balconies on Dolphin. Thanks for bringing it up.

I didn't know that the glass of champagne was due to the mini-suite. I thought it was Platinum or from our host.

Balcony size: Last month, I measured my balcony on the Crown Princess, mini-suite, Dolphin Deck. 8.5 feet wide, 6.25 feet long. I don't have the dimensions of the Aloha balcony for you to compare this to.

Overall cabin size: Interior, 8.5 feet by 30.75 feet. Including the balcony, 8.5 by 37.

Oh, last month, we made arrangements with the Purser's Office to look at a full suite, before the occupants took possession. We decided against upgrading to the full suite in the future.

Location: The suites tend to be located forward or aft, so lots of extra motion. This was the deciding factor for us.

Size: Yes, they are larger, but the mini-suite is large enough for the two of us.

Balcony furniture: Yes, that is nicer, but not a big deal.

Overall, we decided that the price difference was not worth it to go from mini- to full.

Oh, last month, we made arrangements with the Purser's Office to look at a full suite, before the occupants took possession. We decided against upgrading to the full suite in the future.

Location: The suites tend to be located forward or aft, so lots of extra motion. This was the deciding factor for us.

Size: Yes, they are larger, but the mini-suite is large enough for the two of us.

Balcony furniture: Yes, that is nicer, but not a big deal.

Overall, we decided that the price difference was not worth it to go from mini- to full.

Very useful information Mike. Thank you.

Even though cost isn't a factor in your decision...it is good to know in advance that you will be paying the higher "suite" gratuity.

Also, we call the champagne drain cleaner.

Good to know JF...what is the mini suite Gratuity vs. the Balcony Gratuity?

I remember reading it was $12 pp/day for the mini suite? and $11.50 for the balcony pp/day? I may be way off on this.

Apparently the champagne is not very good :)

Perks: Early boarding. (If you are Platinum, you already get this.) Wrong. Early Boarding or Priority Boarding does NOT apply to mini-suites, only to full suites, elite and platinum passengers.

See bolded comment.

Even though cost isn't a factor in your decision...it is good to know in advance that you will be paying the higher "suite" gratuity.

Also, we call the champagne drain cleaner.

Drain Cleaner! Thats funny and True! We only accept it for photo op then we clean the drain.

Experienced Princess Cruisers,

My apologies if this question has been discussed on this forum before, but i could not see it after a quick search.

I am considering a Balcony to Mini Suite upgrade for my upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise out of LA in March on the Crown Princess.

The difference in cost is not a factor.

I am currently on the Aloha deck (starboard) and will potentially move to the Dolphin deck ( Port side ).

1. Is this a good idea considering the Deck and Cabin locations?

2. Other than then obvious size difference and the benefits of a mini Suite is there any thing else that i should be aware of? This will be my first time in a Mini Suite.

3. Any other perks/benefits to a mini suite as opposed to a balcony?

Thanks in Advance for all the responses.

Yes i would if cost does not matter.

Balcony vs mini suite. If it's just 2 of you in the room, I think Balcony is a better deal. If there are 3-4 of you, and you are a couple, then you want a mini suite, as it's the only way two of you can sleep in a bed together.

I've never done a mini suite, but our next family cruise is booked in a mini and I'm super excited to be able to sleep with my husband again!!

Just got an upsell from balcony to minisuite for our Crown cruise in Feb. Didn't take it because our balcony is on Caribe deck. Big balcony 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered. Have had minisuite but prefer bigger balcony.

The Caribe Deck balcony is nice! I think I will be able to get measurements of that next week, because some friends we are cruising with are on Caribe.

We upgraded to a mini suite last cruise. The extra room was nice. I would not pay much extra unless you had more than 2 in the cabin. Then I think it would be well worth it.

We have 2 adults and a 6 year old in the cabin. The extra room would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. That is why i turn to cruisecritic so often.

I am leaning towards getting the mini suite for the extra space with the kid in the room. I am sure all 3 of us will appreciate the space....

The exposed balcony is not a deal breaker for us.

Now the champagne is a different story :) will let u all know what we did with it :D

We got an upgrade offer from a balcony to a mini-suite a few cruises back. Surprisingly, one of the mini-suites on Emerald Deck, which are fully covered was available. Now, those Emerald Deck mini-suites are the only cabins we book. Downside is we have to book pretty far in advance to make sure we can get one. Forgot to mention this is Grand class and above. Not Regal, Royal or the smaller ships.

Edited by billco