To zip or not to zip....that is the question??!!

crazyboutdisney

We are cruising soon and looking at excursions. Our friends all zip lined last yr in the DR but we skipped it because I am some what of a chicken. lol I dont like roller coasters or the feeling of falling. Im not really afraid of heights.

They really want us to zip line with them in St Lucia and I am nervous! So who is a scaredy cat like me, zip lined and liked it??

So far, me, my two daughters, and my son have all zip lined on various islands and we have all had a great time. My wife is looking forward to a Las Vegas trip because she saw video of a new zip line there that goes down the old strip for several blocks and really wants to try it. It'll be a blast. My youngest daughter (19) just did her first zip line in Jamaica two weeks ago. It freaked her out a bit, for all of 10 seconds. Then it was pure adrenaline fun.

I have a fear of heights, and went zip-lining with my wife and kids 3 or 4 years ago in Roatan.

I did some research before booking the zip-line excursion. I found the zip-line vendor (there are several in Roatan) that offered a nice variety of runs, but also had the most redundant safety system.

I can't remember the specifics, but the tour that I took had a triple cable redundancy system, with an extra safety line attached to the third wire.

It might have been a bit over the top, but I wanted the safest set-up available.

It was truly great fun; I wasn't sure that I was going through with it until I left the platform on the first run. It was an incredible rush, and an experience that I won't forget. We bought pictures and video, and generally had a great time. I'm glad I did it, but don't know if I'll do it again or not. It would be tough to top that first experience.

Do some homework, then go for it!

I ziplined for the first time in October in St. Kitts, I booked a rum tour right after that just in case I needed the alcohol. It was amazing, I am in my 50's and not all that fit. I say just do it, the views are spectacular. I was really nervous at first, but there were five lines and after the first one I could not believe I waited so long to try it.

Edited by dacsmom

So far, me, my two daughters, and my son have all zip lined on various islands and we have all had a great time. My wife is looking forward to a Las Vegas trip because she saw video of a new zip line there that goes down the old strip for several blocks and really wants to try it. It'll be a blast. My youngest daughter (19) just did her first zip line in Jamaica two weeks ago. It freaked her out a bit, for all of 10 seconds. Then it was pure adrenaline fun.

They also have a zip line at the Rio Hotel as well if you don't want to go all the way downtown. The zipline downtown is not that long.

We are cruising soon and looking at excursions. Our friends all zip lined last yr in the DR but we skipped it because I am some what of a chicken. lol I dont like roller coasters or the feeling of falling. Im not really afraid of heights.

They really want us to zip line with them in St Lucia and I am nervous! So who is a scaredy cat like me, zip lined and liked it??

I hate roller coasters, and the taking and landing in a plane, but i checked this off my bucket list!! I can at least say I did it once ( mind you once in a lifetime was enough for me) This was our group in St. Lucia im the last chicken to go......

yes you can bail if you dont like it, but dont!! it was amazing just not something I want to do again Edited by hockeyluver

Count me as one who hates heights and didn't want to do zipline. We did one in Ketchican ALaska and I survived. I felt better knowing I was hooked up to a harness all the time, but when we were on the platforms, I hugged the big tree we were zipping from until it was my turn.

My advice--be brave and do it. I did and, while I was totally scared, it kept me very focused and showed me I could do more than I thought (and I am a fluffy person!). I probably won't do it again, unless there is some compelling reason to--don't want to push my luck. Funny note--as I approached the landing platform, our guide/leader (who had to catch/stop me said "come to me, my little wrecking ball". It was pretty funny, he was very young and cute, got a big tip at the end :))

Zipline in Las Vegas, on Fremont Street, is OK but not nearly the same as jungle ziplines. I thought it was over-priced too! Saw lots of younger folks doing this and screaming all the way!!

Good luck

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Find out what the breaking system is, they are not created equal. I have been 3 times, and one had a hand braking system (where we wore leather gloves on the line) and that was much more stressful and difficult. Those tend to be on shorter lines. I love zip lining, as do my kids, but we wouldn't want to do that kind again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about the braking system. I have zip-lined three times now. My favorite was where the attendants on the next platform slowed you down - and all I had to do was hang on.

But last March with students in Costa Rica we all zip-lined - and they loved it! They even had a set-up where the one student who is blind could zip-line.

If he could do it- you can do it! And I agree - nothing like a roller coaster!

Pat

My DH announced that he wanted to celebrate his 60th birthday ziplining in St. Lucia so I swallowed my fears (of height and speed) and actually had a very good time. A couple of years later we (along with my sister and brother-in-law who were novices) did Grouse Mountain in Vancouver. That was even more fun!

I did the rainforest zipline in Belize in 2014. I was talked into it.. I do not like heights, I don't like amusement park rides..I just had a panic attack last week at a hockey game because we were up in the nose-bleed section. I'm just not a daring person.

I hated every second. haha I had actual tears streaming down my face..there was a crowd of lovely French Canadians behind me, saying "Its okay, Lets all pray for her!"

It was 6 or 7 different platforms that took you down through the rainforest..and if you hated it, you didn't have a choice..you have to keep zippin until you reached the bottom. It was the most terrifying thing I've ever done..stepping off the first platform with nothing but the tops of the rainforest trees below you.

That said, I'm glad I did it. I did something that terrified me. I'll never do it again. But for one afternoon of my life, I was pretty badass :D

I don't like the feeling of fast forward motion nor falling, like on a roller coaster or even on a playground swing. I don't mind heights too much.

That said, we took a family cruise on Dream in April 2012. One of our ports was Roatan. We all decided that we were going to try zip lining together for the first time. My husband was 52, our boys were 24 and 21, and I was 51. I did a lot of research to make sure I found a company that used strict safety guidelines. We booked Clip'N'Zip Canopy Tours.

The day we arrived I was in a panic. Actually, I was terrified. But we walked over to the site, checked in, paid, signed our lives away on waiver forms, watched the video, donned our gear, and boarded the open bus to the first platform. I climbed up and gingerly walked to the edge. The guides were fabulous-very patient and reassuring. I stepped off and screamed my way to the end of the first line.

One of the guides must have seen something in my face because he attached my harness to his and we jumped together. He told me to let go of the strap I was holding with my hands. OMG! I was flying!

After that second run, I was hooked. Not only did I fly like a bird, arms outstretched, but I started each line with a running start. Picture a cartoon character that starts to run. It's feet go fast in circles until it finally takes off, leaving a dust trail. That was me!

We are zip line fans now. We've taken friends who also love it. We have zipped a few more times since and can't wait to go again this summer. I'm so glad we tried it.

Edited by stargate fan

I did the rainforest zipline in Belize in 2014. I was talked into it.. I do not like heights, I don't like amusement park rides..I just had a panic attack last week at a hockey game because we were up in the nose-bleed section. I'm just not a daring person.

I hated every second. haha I had actual tears streaming down my face..there was a crowd of lovely French Canadians behind me, saying "Its okay, Lets all pray for her!"

It was 6 or 7 different platforms that took you down through the rainforest..and if you hated it, you didn't have a choice..you have to keep zippin until you reached the bottom. It was the most terrifying thing I've ever done..stepping off the first platform with nothing but the tops of the rainforest trees below you.

That said, I'm glad I did it. I did something that terrified me. I'll never do it again. But for one afternoon of my life, I was pretty badass :D

This!!! This is what I am afraid of lol I dont want to do something I am going to hate the entire time.

I have been watching some videos.

I'm with you, I always say I'll take their pictures. :)