ZIKA virus - anything to worry about?

Bobstam

My niece and her husband were scheduled to be on your cruise. She is trying to get pregnant via fertility. She called her doctor today and was told that she can not go on the cruise. The doctor is forwarding her documentation that she can use to file an insurance claim through NCL insurance. As of this afternoon NCL would not reimburse her so she will file a claim. According to CDC virus is in Florida and Virgin Islands.

Not sure what airline she was using but they did not give her a hard time. The airline gave her credit to use within one year.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-zika-virus-cruise-ships-20160126-story.html

Edited by Gershep

I've done some basic searching, but nothing that answers an important question..is the risk only if you are infected while pregnant or is it a problem if you are infected and become pregnant 5 or 10 years after infection? If anyone has information to refer to id really appreciate it. I suspect that it is not known since this is emergent, but would love to know. Thx!

The NPR story I heard on the radio this week indicates that you have to BE pregnant or GET pregnant while you have the virus. The danger period afterwards is more like 6 weeks. Once the virus has cleared your system, there's no danger to the fetus.

And you're right -- none of the articles I pulled up answered this question!

I have read the Zika carrying mosquito is a day feeder.

Wait a few weeks and call again. They are already reporting cases in Florida, however, I don't know if is people who traveled and were infected outside Florida or if they were infected in Florida. They say this virus is spreading explosively. World Health Organization said today they expect there will be 3-4 Million cases in the Americas in the next year.

It seems that all Virus carrying Mosquitoes are day feeders. Dengue and Chikungunya are day feeders as well.

While this is certainly something to key an eye on if you are pregnant, this is another example of mass hysteria at work. You have better odds to be killed in a car accident on the way to the airport for your trip.

We always over focus on whatever the press is currently targeting in news stories, Ebola is taking a back seat to Zika in terms of press coverage now, so more people get nervous about it.

Haven't heard much of SARS and MERS lately either, but I don't think that means they went dormant.

I think this may be a little more than just the result of mass hysteria. Although I very much agree with your comment about relative risk and encourage everyone to wear their seatbelt!

Certainly the very recent concerns over possible associations between Zika and congenital anomalies in infants (and reports of possible neurologic effects in a small number of others) are contributing to the mass of media coverage. I think there is also an awareness in the public health world that there's still a lot that is unknown about current and future risks of Zika, and that for now it is best to make people aware of the possible risks so that individuals have the freedom and capacity to make personal decisions and so that public health authorities can work to reduce potential risks.

Regardless of what is determined to be the eventual cause, the individual tragedy of each case of microcephaly is stunning. If people have a chance to reduce that risk as we figure out the causes that should be a good thing. An ounce of prevention is after all worth... a lot.

Regarding SARS, MERS, and Ebola, we don't hear much about SARS because it was successfully contained through a large international response in 2004. (Could it be "dormant" and still circulating in its natural cycle somewhere? Perhaps.) After the MERS outbreak in South Korea was contained last year, we're mainly seeing reports of cases originating in the Arabian Peninsula and no recent cases have reached the United States, which always affects our media coverage. For Ebola, the original chains of transmission causing large numbers of cases have now been contained in West Africa (through some very heroic work of many African health workers and community members and a small, proud few from the US and international community). We may still continue to see sporadic cases associated with Ebola virus in survivors, and there is always the potential for re-introduction from nature, but hopefully the systems in place can respond to protect us all. So right now, as far as SARS, MERS-coronavirus, and Ebola are concerned the world seems a safer place for humans than it was at other times...

Hopefully the impact of Zika will not be as great as some have projected and certainly this attention will die down eventually. In the meantime this is a time to respond and investigate further. I like to recognize that sometimes the attention on diseases goes away because the threat is contained, often through the hard work of people around the world working in relative obscurity so that we can enjoy our lives (and cruises).

Edited by run2sea

Rather than cancel the trip, and risk losing a tons of bucks, just don't go ashore. I've never seen a mosquito on board a ship, wherever we've traveled. If you're still concerned, stay inside on port days. We've been to most of the islands in the Caribbean a number of times. As result, we stay on the ship in a lot of ports. we still have a wonderful time.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

So we are on the Escape Feb 6th, anyone already been on a cruise to Caribbean have any issues with mosquito bites? Never even thought of it, till all the news reports.

We just got back on the 24th...it sounds from what I understand that it's not that concerning unless you are pregnant. Of course, I would do what they suggest and wear bug spray when in the areas affected.

There's always the risk that you could get bitten by a mosquito and then be infected and then be a carrier of the virus...

We were in the southern caribbean, DR, aruba, curaçao, and did not notice an over abundance of mosquitos but it only takes one!

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings and Carnival Corp.

Pregnant women will be allowed to reschedule cruises or change to another itinerary in a region that is not affected by Zika.

According to:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/29/as-zika-concerns-mount-airlines-and-cruise-companies-offer-refunds-to-pregnant-women/

Here is a link to a useful article in the New York Times, "Short Answers to Hard Questions About the Zika Virus." If link doesn't work, go to nytimescom > Health, then scroll down until you see the article. I found it very useful, and I'm well past the age to get pregnant. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/health/what-is-zika-virus.html?ref=health

For those who think just staying in town or on board the ship will avoid mosquito bites, that is not a certainty. We were bitten in San Juan, just a few short blocks from the ship. My husband didn't think it was necessary to use insecticide in St. Thomas, as we were just walking to the shops near the pier. He got quite a few bites! Also, we keep our balcony doors closed while in port, as we've had numerous insects visiting us on the balcony. A fly did try to hitch a ride inside our cabin after we set sail; we called housekeeping, I think, so someone could come get rid of it.

We always travel to the Caribbean with an insecticide that is listed by the CDC as effective against mosquito-bourn viruses. Besides Zika, Chikungunya is a serious threat, as it has no known cure and causes pain that can last a lifetime. We use Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard, which also has built-in UV protection. It comes in 2 and 4 oz. sizes. We order several bottles online, and bring a few extra for crew members we know. We started doing this after seeing crew members working on GSC completely covered from head to toe and sweltering in the heat, to prevent getting bitten.

As you can see from my signature, we haven't stopped cruising the Caribbean, but it does make us aware of the risks. I would say hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Why not choose prevention rather than take unnecessary risk?

We are sailing next week. I made sure to go out and purchase fresh bug repellent that has Deet. I am not sure what the active life is for it and I would rather be safe then sorry. They say to make sure you put on sun tan

lotion first and you should be fine.

I am EXTREMELY sensitive (if not allergic) to mosquito bites on my lower legs and feet/ankles, so I have to use my bug repellent daily. I get huge red swollen areas, and large water blisters at the bite site.

DEET has a years long shelf life, and my doctor's office advised me to use 25% or higher. I have sensitive skin, but never had a problem with using the bug repellent.

I just purchased these for our upcoming trip, since my spray is getting low:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YPD7YA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The reviews of these towlettes are they are very moist at first, and evaporate quickly, so I will start at my feet and work up my legs. Then, I'll spray my regular stuff on as the towelette gets drier.

When using just the spray, I spray my hands liberally, and then wipe the exposed areas, including my face, ears, neck, chest, and arms. Exposed means any skin outside your clothes, or near the opening.

I also hang my clothes outside somewhere, and use this on them. I've used this twice, and it's odorless, colorless, doesn't stain, and lasts for 6 washings:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ANQVYU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Then, everything I wear on my trips is protected.

Edited by pcur

All this makes me glad that we arent having any more kids. Still in childbearing years, but let's just say it would take divine intervention at this point (or extremely bad luck) to get pregnant again.

If I were planning or pregnant, I'd cancel.

So far every trip insurer will NOT cover cancelation due to ZIKA. Even if a women is prego. Your SOL if you choose to cancel because of the ZIKA virus. Unless you have cancel for any reason rider on the policy.

Smartest press release I've read in a long time. Can't let fear influence people. That is why the insurance industry ROCKS[emoji122]

But, I think NCL and a few other lines should be applauded for the PR

decision to allow expectant women to reschedule or change itinerary to a non affected itinerary. Can't put babies in harms way, finally a humane decision.

Edited by Golfin55

OK, as an afterthought.... Zika affected babies have already been born, some 3 months old, and the babies are said to have been affected by the 1st trimester so this disease has already been around 9-10 months? I'd have thought that is Zika was going to be an issue then maybe it would already be in the US and be affecting babies there as surely there has been lots of travel to the Caribbean/Brizil/South America before this week.

In this report the lady caught Zika at 4 months and a few weeks later her baby was found to have microcephaly, severe enough to be picked up on a scan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3422221/Life-Zika-epicenter-struggle-afflicted-family.html

I am not sure..... the brain would have had to stop growing before this for it to make such a visible impact. They say that it is hitting the poorest families, so maybe there is something else they do not know about? Maybe it affects the water? Toxins in the land? Could it be a malicious act? I am not disputing Zika at all but part of me thinks that the affect on babies, that maybe it is something else - the conditions are squalid by all accounts.

It's very sad for these families concerned, especially as most of them are poor and so would not be able to afford the medical care for their children, so I hope they get to the bottom of it very soon and help future families so no other babies are affected.

Interestingly, on that map Florida is red, so risk of transmission year round. Almost every Caribbean port stop is affected too. Why is there no advisory to not travel to Florida?

• 1 month later...

Bumping up this thread....

I have a stupid question about bug spray. Is it necessary to use bug spray while at sea? My wife is convinced we only need to use bug spray when we are on shore. She thinks mosquitoes won't fly out to the middle of the ocean.

I think she's wrong. I think mosquitoes could always hitch a ride, and then reproduce, so I think they could be anywhere. We are not planning on having any more kids, but if this Zika is still a concern, I'd rather have all of us avoid getting the flu-like symptoms.

I know some people just aren't concerned at all, but I usually get eaten alive by mosquitoes, and I will put on bug spray on sea days if it's better.

Bumping up this thread....

I have a stupid question about bug spray. Is it necessary to use bug spray while at sea? My wife is convinced we only need to use bug spray when we are on shore. She thinks mosquitoes won't fly out to the middle of the ocean.

I think she's wrong. I think mosquitoes could always hitch a ride, and then reproduce, so I think they could be anywhere. We are not planning on having any more kids, but if this Zika is still a concern, I'd rather have all of us avoid getting the flu-like symptoms.

I know some people just aren't concerned at all, but I usually get eaten alive by mosquitoes, and I will put on bug spray on sea days if it's better.

I just posted on another thread about my bug repellent usage. I use it ANYWHERE I think I will meet up with the critters. It's all about being comfortable and protected, NOT finding out later on you SHOULD have protected yourself.

The only thing about your chances being dramtically reduced at sea is the wind. Mosquitoes are lightweights, and they get blown around a lot. Still, if you are uneasy, then protect yourself where you feel vunerable. I do.

I just posted on another thread about my bug repellent usage. I use it ANYWHERE I think I will meet up with the critters. It's all about being comfortable and protected, NOT finding out later on you SHOULD have protected yourself.

The only thing about your chances being dramtically reduced at sea is the wind. Mosquitoes are lightweights, and they get blown around a lot. Still, if you are uneasy, then protect yourself where you feel vunerable. I do.

Thanks. Off to Target to look for some non-aerosol travel bug spray under 3 oz!

I just came back from a Medical Conference this weekend where we discussed Zika (conference was in Florida) in detail.

1. Zika lasts for around a week in the blood

2. Most people infected will never even know they have it.

3. For others, they will mostly have flu like illness, red/painful eyes, headache.

4. Pregnant or Women who become Pregnant over the week following getting the virus should be very concerned.

5. MEN can spread the virus through intercourse.

6. It is not known at this time how long or even IF the virus may live dormant in certain parts of the body.

7. Wear long sleeved shirts and pants, Use insect repellent containing 30% DEET.

Hope this helps.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't wear insect repellent while out to sea but I am allergic to mosquito bites and bee stings. Fortunately for me I have never seen a mosquito while out at sea and we always have a balcony.

I must admit that even though I am not having any more children, I am a bit freaked out by all the media coverage about Zika.

I used to get bitten all the time (and I'm allergic), but since I started using lemongrass, lavender and citronella essential oils, I have not been bitten at all. Just wanted to pass that on. I am so not 'crunchy,' but someone had suggested it to me a few years ago and they work!

I am planning on brining full bottles of oil with me and rolling in the stuff! 😜