ZIKA virus - anything to worry about?

Bobstam

I've done some basic searching, but nothing that answers an important question..is the risk only if you are infected while pregnant or is it a problem if you are infected and become pregnant 5 or 10 years after infection? If anyone has information to refer to id really appreciate it. I suspect that it is not known since this is emergent, but would love to know. Thx!

Are you pregnant or planning on getting pregnant: Yes

Everyone else: Naa, get it and then tell people about this cool virus you caught.

I don't think that that's necessarily true. Some people (non pregnant) can become very ill....

We are sailing next week. I made sure to go out and purchase fresh bug repellent that has Deet. I am not sure what the active life is for it and I would rather be safe then sorry. They say to make sure you put on sun tan

lotion first and you should be fine.

I've done some basic searching, but nothing that answers an important question..is the risk only if you are infected while pregnant or is it a problem if you are infected and become pregnant 5 or 10 years after infection? If anyone has information to refer to id really appreciate it. I suspect that it is not known since this is emergent, but would love to know. Thx!

In the CDC link shared by Lazlo there is a link to questions and answers. This is a copy paste from that area. http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

"If infected, Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week. The virus will not cause infections in a baby that is conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood."

I suggest you speak with your medical physician about any concerns you may have on travel and the virus in regard to future pregnancy as they are better equipped to give you your answer.

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

Lialoves - the CDC has some good info on a fetus being infected after conception. If the virus has left your system you should be safe. http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html They haven't even officially said the Zika is what has caused the issue in babies, but they are coming to the conclusion. I've never been bit on a cruise and I plan on wearing deet at the resort we stop at in DR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've seen a lot of people on these boards say they aren't worried because they never get bit or because you will only be bitten early morning or at dusk and while I agree for the most part this is true. I have to say that I was eaten alive in Jamaica in the middle of the day, tons of them. So glad someone had repellent and offered it to me. :D I always take it and use it now and just go and have a great time.

The question to ask is am I a woman who is or has any chance of becoming pregnant? If yes - steps must be taken to avoid all infected areas. If no then: Do I live in an area that has ades mosquitoes? - If no, no worries. If yes, ask yourself if you are willing to carry the virus back home putting the future offspring of your community at risk? If no steps must be taken to avoid infection.

As a woman of child bearing years, I wouldn't even have unprotected sex in an infected area. Researchers are unsure when exactly the fetal brain is affected and stops developing. The risks are too high. They can't even tell anything is wrong until well into the third trimester, if before birth at all.

Thank you everyone for the information, I have read about it and I am very concerned for a family member that is really trying to become pregnant, we will buy fresh bug spray and go from there, I have shared all the information with them so they are aware of the cautions to take.

Another good article:

How does Zika cause brain damage in infants?

Experts are only beginning to figure it out.

Scientists do not fully understand the connection. The possibility that the Zika virus causes microcephaly – unusually small heads and damaged brains – emerged in October, when doctors in northern Brazil noticed a surge in babies with the condition.

It may be that other factors, such as simultaneous infection with other viruses, are contributing to the rise; investigators may even find that Zika virus is not the main cause, although right now circumstantial evidence strongly suggests that it is.

It is not known how common microcephaly has become in Brazil’s outbreak. About three million babies are born in Brazil each year. Normally, about 150 cases of microcephaly are reported, and Brazil says it is investigating nearly 4,000 cases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I had a thought for all you pregnant women out there who may be travelling to a Zika affected country.

It may pay to check what your health insurance company says if you become affected knowing that you were pregnant and visiting a Zika affected area.

Will they cover any medical costs if a child is affected?

Similarly will your travel insurance cover you if you cancel because you are pregnant and afraid of the possible consequences of visiting a Zika affected country.

Mike

While this is certainly something to key an eye on if you are pregnant, this is another example of mass hysteria at work. You have better odds to be killed in a car accident on the way to the airport for your trip.

We always over focus on whatever the press is currently targeting in news stories, Ebola is taking a back seat to Zika in terms of press coverage now, so more people get nervous about it.

Haven't heard much of SARS and MERS lately either, but I don't think that means they went dormant.

I've cancelled my cruise due to this issue. United is not reimbursing us since we are flying to Florida, not to one of the areas affected. I explained we were flying to Florida to leave on a cruise, but not a whole lot of help. I'm going to let the media pressure continue to build and then call back to cancel again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a lot of people on these boards say they aren't worried because they never get bit or because you will only be bitten early morning or at dusk and while I agree for the most part this is true. I have to say that I was eaten alive in Jamaica in the middle of the day, tons of them. So glad someone had repellent and offered it to me. :D I always take it and use it now and just go and have a great time.

I have read the Zika carrying mosquito is a day feeder.

I've cancelled my cruise due to this issue. United is not reimbursing us since we are flying to Florida, not to one of the areas affected. I explained we were flying to Florida to leave on a cruise, but not a whole lot of help. I'm going to let the media pressure continue to build and then call back to cancel again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait a few weeks and call again. They are already reporting cases in Florida, however, I don't know if is people who traveled and were infected outside Florida or if they were infected in Florida. They say this virus is spreading explosively. World Health Organization said today they expect there will be 3-4 Million cases in the Americas in the next year.

Edited by sail7seas