Rhine water levels 2016 and similar topics

notamermaid

Here is a good (from a photographing technique point of view) of the low water in the Rhine gorge:

http://www.epa.eu/economy-business-and-finance-photos/transport-photos/low-water-at-central-rhine-photos-53067530

It makes that section look like an obstacle course, with the rocks in the foreground and the buoys indicating where the navigation channel is.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

I had a look back at last year's thread on the Rhine and saw that as post #192 on 3rd November a cruiser reported that they had received a notice from Viking about an impending ship swap. On the 4th November I reported in post #195 that the river water level at Koblenz had fallen to 57cm.

I hope this helps to shed more light on the situation we have on the Rhine right now.

notamermaid

I had a look back at last year's thread on the Rhine and saw that as post #192 on 3rd November a cruiser reported that they had received a notice from Viking about an impending ship swap. On the 4th November I reported in post #195 that the river water level at Koblenz had fallen to 57cm.

I hope this helps to shed more light on the situation we have on the Rhine right now.

notamermaid

Yesterday you reported Koblenz as low as 64cm.

That's only a scant 2 3/4 inches above last year's "ship swap" level!

Those of us travelling on the Rhine soon should begin to mentally prepare for a ship swap (or even the dreaded bussing!) scenario.

With no rain in sight, it almost seems inevitable...

P.S. Please don't shoot the messenger! I'm praying for rain like the rest of you.

Yesterday you reported Koblenz as low as 64cm.

That's only a scant 2 3/4 inches above last year's "ship swap" level!

Those of us travelling on the Rhine soon should begin to mentally prepare for a ship swap (or even the dreaded bussing!) scenario.

With no rain in sight, it almost seems inevitable...

P.S. Please don't shoot the messenger! I'm praying for rain like the rest of you.

I would keep that in mind as you pack. I took way too much, adding to what I had to schlep around. Pack light but bring your layers.

Thanks! Couldn't remember what others had posted!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I say that with a caveat. We felt we had too little time in the Black Forrest. We shared that with the concierge and she said they contemplated taking a shorter drive to have more time up there. So if you take the same route, there's a cool thatched roof house out the right side of the bus.

When you get up there, plan your time wisely. If you go on the walk, you won't be able to watch the cake demonstration, cuckoo clock demonstration and glass blowing (not enough time for all three). So if you are more of a nature person, go on the walk. If not, stay in "town."

Thank you for the info,

When I posted - around seven hours before you - those notices were not up on the website.

Of course, if the level rises slightly the ship swap may not happen.

The Viking Kvasir and the Amacerto are sailing in the Rhine gorge this morning. It is a pity it is a little grey and overcast, but I am sure the cruisers will have a great time nevertheless.

Worms is at 57cm, Koblenz at 63cm.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Does anyone know at what point things go from ship swap to bus trip? One we can do but one we can't. We board in 5 days. Viking doesn't give enough notice to wait to cancel with our insurance.

Good luck to all.

We fly to Amsterdam today. Sail with Avalon on Tuesday. So far Avalon says it's a go. Sure hope so. We figure once we are there if there is a problem will will decide if we do their trip or off on our own.

Good luck to all about to depart!

Last year we were cancelled two days before departure. This is our make up cruise 🙀🙀

Worms is at 52cm, Koblenz at 67cm this morning. The river level fluctuates every day a few centimetres. The general trend is still towards further down until Tuesday. At the moment it looks as that will be the lowest and the bad conditions of last year will not be repeated. A major rise is not in sight for at least a week, though.

Looks like the 110m ships will all be fine, those with the deepest draft of the 135m ones will struggle a little, at least having to go slowly. The Viking Kvasir and the Amacerto have made it through the Rhine gorge and the passengers on the Viking Idi are having that pleasure this morning. Unfortunately it is very misty, I hope they can see the castles on the hills. Everything that is further than 400m away in my part of the valley is completely blurred.

notamermaid

Hello Cobbie48,

We fly to Amsterdam today. Sail with Avalon on Tuesday. So far Avalon says it's a go. Sure hope so. We figure once we are there if there is a problem will will decide if we do their trip or off on our own.

Good luck to all about to depart!

Last year we were cancelled two days before departure. This is our make up cruise 🙀🙀

Oh, dear. I hope things will work out better for you this year. It is not looking too bad at the moment.

Have a safe trip and a great time in Europe.

notamermaid

My pleasure, Riversanddale, and thank you for the wishes. The mist is slowly clearing. Hopefully we will have the sunshine and the pleasant 16 degrees that were forecast for today later in the afternoon. :)

Other places like Trier are forecast to reach 19.

Sunshine during the day and rain at night for the ships, that would be ideal.

I hope your suitcase is packed and ready. I am sure you will have a great time on your river cruise. :)

notamermaid

Worms is at 52cm, Koblenz at 67cm this morning. The river level fluctuates every day a few centimetres. The general trend is still towards further down until Tuesday. At the moment it looks as that will be the lowest and the bad conditions of last year will not be repeated. A major rise is not in sight for at least a week, though.

Looks like the 110m ships will all be fine, those with the deepest draft of the 135m ones will struggle a little, at least having to go slowly. The Viking Kvasir and the Amacerto have made it through the Rhine gorge and the passengers on the Viking Idi are having that pleasure this morning. Unfortunately it is very misty, I hope they can see the castles on the hills. Everything that is further than 400m away in my part of the valley is completely blurred.

notamermaid

We are sailing on the Viking Kara from Basel to Amsterdam on November 13 -20th- I have been reading your daily reports. You are providing us with a wonderful service, thank you so much. We have decided to take the trip no matter what - I'm not sure what that means -. I imagine there is at least one large section where the water depth is insufficient for the ships to pass and that's why we are bussed from one ship to the other. If we are to be bussed through the castle area are we on roads in France or Germany? Do we cross over the Rhine to see both sides? I hope these don't sound like silly questions. Have you ever heard of the whole 7 days needing to be bussed? Somewhere I think I read that if the water is low in Basel we are bussed upriver to get the ship - is there a problem down in Basel as well? In another post, I think I saw someone mention staying in hotels if necessary - have you heard of that? I think if I understand what is going on I will be able to roll with the punches if this is going to be what it's like on our trip. Again - I am so grateful for your time and information. Jan and Bill

Hello oceanview64,

November 13th is a still a long time to go for river levels, hopefully all will be back to normal by then.

But I will try to answer your questions. First of all, your itinerary I presume is a Rhine Getaway one - there is a great thread for that in the river cruising roll calls. Past cruisers and future cruisers have detailed chats about things in there, do have a look, recommended for little details especially.

The castle section is completely in Germany, almost all of it in Rhineland-Palatinate, I will try and direct you to it: the Lorelei near the town of St. Goar has the geodata

50°08'22.5"N 7°43'43.8"E

50.139591, 7.728829

on google maps

If you are bussed through this section you should be on the opposing side of the Lorelei to be able to see it, of course. The castles are on both river sides, i.e. hills, and it is basically possible to do the route on both sides. If you wanted to cross within the castle stretch you would need to take a ferry, there is no bridge.

I do not think Viking would bus you through there. Last year they used the local service Gilles based in Vallendar, a poster reported this last year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191352&page=13 post#257

There are other companies that could take on such a task.

This was at a river level 15 cm lower than it is now.

Unfortunately, the loveliest ship in the Middle Rhine Valley, the Goethe, has a deep draft, so she might not sail you through the castle stretch.

I do not recall anyone reporting the were bussed for seven days. Most sections of the river are dredged out so deeply that sailing for river cruise ships is o.k. The Basel harbour areas might be tricky for deep drafts right now, but that is my speculation. Viking did put a note on their website of a ship waiting for embarkation in Breisach I recall, rather than Basel. So there certainly was some issue earlier in the month.

As regards hotel stays: I do not remember.

I hope I have been able to help.

If you have any further question, especially where mobility is concerned or logistics for embarkation, I am convinced Viking will send you info closer to the date if it becomes necessary. Or phone their customer helpline.

The sun is out, by the way, and the slightly golden leaves are shining bright.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Well, ready or nor we're committed to a great trip and we"re excited. We leave in an hour or so for a 7 hr drive, overnight in our favorite motel by the airport and and an early morning flight so we'll have a few days for jet lag before boarding. Ironically we're having storms and lots of rain over here while we pray for rain in Germany.

Heartfelt thanks again to Notamermaid (golden trees - can't wait) and all the other wonderful folks on cruisecritic. We'll try to keep in touch along the cruise. Happy sailing everyone. :)

notamermaid from forecasts I see online it looks like there may be some rain in the Rhine region?

Also I assume are there certain sections of the Rhine impacted more than others by this problem?

As always, thanks for your help

Hello oceanview64,

November 13th is a still a long time to go for river levels, hopefully all will be back to normal by then.

But I will try to answer your questions. First of all, your itinerary I presume is a Rhine Getaway one - there is a great thread for that in the river cruising roll calls. Past cruisers and future cruisers have detailed chats about things in there, do have a look, recommended for little details especially.

The castle section is completely in Germany, almost all of it in Rhineland-Palatinate, I will try and direct you to it: the Lorelei near the town of St. Goar has the geodata

50°08'22.5"N 7°43'43.8"E

50.139591, 7.728829

on google maps

If you are bussed through this section you should be on the opposing side of the Lorelei to be able to see it, of course. The castles are on both river sides, i.e. hills, and it is basically possible to do the route on both sides. If you wanted to cross within the castle stretch you would need to take a ferry, there is no bridge.

I do not think Viking would bus you through there. Last year they used the local service Gilles based in Vallendar, a poster reported this last year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191352&page=13 post#257

There are other companies that could take on such a task.

This was at a river level 15 cm lower than it is now.

Unfortunately, the loveliest ship in the Middle Rhine Valley, the Goethe, has a deep draft, so she might not sail you through the castle stretch.

I do not recall anyone reporting the were bussed for seven days. Most sections of the river are dredged out so deeply that sailing for river cruise ships is o.k. The Basel harbour areas might be tricky for deep drafts right now, but that is my speculation. Viking did put a note on their website of a ship waiting for embarkation in Breisach I recall, rather than Basel. So there certainly was some issue earlier in the month.

As regards hotel stays: I do not remember.

I hope I have been able to help.

If you have any further question, especially where mobility is concerned or logistics for embarkation, I am convinced Viking will send you info closer to the date if it becomes necessary. Or phone their customer helpline.

The sun is out, by the way, and the slightly golden leaves are shining bright.

notamermaid

You are amazing - thank you for all this great information. So nice to know we won't miss the views of the castles from the river. I feel better and feel more optimistic about the cruise already. You are right - there is still time for more rain. I just hope it doesn't rain every day we're there to make up for the past 3 months. LOLOLOL. Jan

Do you know the draft of the GCCL Harmony and whether they have been affected by the lower river. We were on the Elbe cruise last year and we weren't able to navigate at all. Thanks.

Just heard from my S-I-L, who is on the Viking Skadi, on the way to Cologne. They are on the Grand European tour, and loving it so far. They were told before leaving that they may have to switch ships, but have been informed since boarding that they may be ok.