Rhine water levels 2016 and similar topics

notamermaid

The bomb was safely defused. Hopefully things will stay quiet for a while, we know though that the next bomb find is just a matter of time, sometimes there is little time between one find and the next.

The weather is relatively dry and it is cold but above zero during the day.

The 24th December is now in the "14-day-prediction zone" but snow occurence is still very tentative and quite frankly a white Christmas is never that likely in my area. The chance is a little higher in the Upper Rhine valley.

Last year we had very unseasonably high temperatures, this year we have more average December temperatures.

notamermaid

The bomb was safely defused. Hopefully things will stay quiet for a while, we know though that the next bomb find is just a matter of time, sometimes there is little time between one find and the next.

notamermaid

Hi Notamermaid,

How are these bombs generally discovered? Do they simply become visible when the water level drops to a certain point? Or are they detected due to construction work in the area or ongoing bomb detection activities? I am glad no one was hurt.

Thanks!

Brian

Hello rcclfanbp,

The bombs are usually found during construction like knocking down outbuildings, digging up (deeply) large gardens, or building on plots that had or had not been covered by a building of sorts in the 1940's.

Nearby where I live there is some restructuring work going on at the river embankment. One of the first things they did in preparation was check to out the site for left over stuff from WWII. Standard procedure, sadly.

More rarely bombs turn up at low water levels, usually only at very low levels. People are then reminded in the media not to touch or go near unusually looking objects, even if they do not appear to be of metal at first. One always informs the police or local authority.

It has been raining today, so the water level is likely to stay the same or rise a little. No problems of note for river cruise ships expected at this level.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Hello rcclfanbp,

The bombs are usually found during construction like knocking down outbuildings, digging up (deeply) large gardens, or building on plots that had or had not been covered by a building of sorts in the 1940's.

Nearby where I live there is some restructuring work going on at the river embankment. One of the first things they did in preparation was check to out the site for left over stuff from WWII. Standard procedure, sadly.

More rarely bombs turn up at low water levels, usually only at very low levels. People are then reminded in the media not to touch or go near unusually looking objects, even if they do not appear to be of metal at first. One always informs the police or local authority.

It has been raining today, so the water level is likely to stay the same or rise a little. No problems of note for river cruise ships expected at this level.

notamermaid

Very interesting. I think about WWII whenever I visit certain parts of Europe. But I seldom think about the present day threat of old WWII bombs.

Thank you Notamermaid!

Hello Magar,

May is definitely not a typical month for flooding but it can happen. Low water is generally not possible due to snow melt and rain in April.

The weather is nice and settled by that time, quite warm, it can get up to a "Summer day", that is a day with a temperature of 25 degrees and over. But average temperatures are lower.

notamermaid

I am so happy you're planning a 2017 thread as we're sailing on June 15-22 on AmaDante, Prague to Paris (obviously the river portion is Nuremberg to Luxembourg). I have enjoyed the stories and historical information in this year's thread and will anxiously await next year's thread, for the stories as well as critical information about river levels.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year, Notamermaid. I hope the new year brings you improved health.

I have enjoyed the stories and historical information in this year's thread and will anxiously await next year's thread, for the stories as well as critical information about river levels.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year, Notamermaid. I hope the new year brings you improved health.

Ditto for me. Warm regards Notamermaid.

Brian

Thank you, bama4cruisin and rcclfanbp,

for your kind wishes and comments.

Looking forward to getting back to you in 2017 with more infos, not so much on water levels, though. No news is good news as regards that subject.

I noticed I never got back to the 2015 thread to thank everyone for their wishes for 2016. Sorry, I guess health problems were already showing.

Well, I have come back from a short trip to England to see lovely people and do lots of Christmas shopping.

On my return I found the news that the water level is very low and the "Lorelei is shaken". Kaub and Koblenz are both at only 77cm. An earthquake of 2.9 magnitude hit the Rhine valley close to the Lorelei Rock on Thursday morning. No damages of significance have been reported.

Those that are still sailing, hope you are all able to enjoy your cruises. The lights are so lovely. The weather is not.

notamermaid

Hello from the Rhine,

I hope you all had a great Christmas.

Not on the Rhine but noteworthy in comparison to such incidents on the Rhine was the bomb found in Augsburg in Bavaria. Yes, another bomb. This time it was a British "blockbuster" of 1.8 tons :eek:. On Christmas day 54.000 people had to be evacuated. It was the biggest evacuation since the end of WWII. Everything went well.

Here on the Rhine shipping is struggling with low water again. If you happen to be sailing now or over New Year's Eve things could be tricky in the Middle Rhine valley. The water level at Kaub is at 66cm and at Koblenz 68 cm. That is very low for December, we have had 6m and more around Christmas time in some years.

Have a good party on New Year's Eve wherever you will be celebrating. :)

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Hoping you had a great Christmas as well notamermaid, and best wishes for the New Year. I am looking forward to your updates (and especially the information tid-bits) for next year.

Thanks for all the info you have given us this year.

Donn