AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

We received our Check-In link from AMA for our Christmas Markets cruise in December! All checked in! Looking forward to choosing our excursions at some point.

If your cruise is like our's in April, you will not be able to register for excursions until you meet your Cruise Director. In our case, we could sign up in Prague on our precruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your cruise is like our's in April, you will not be able to register for excursions until you meet your Cruise Director. In our case, we could sign up in Prague on our precruise.

Our check-in instructions have a link to choose our excursions now. However, we've not made final payment, so the link is inactive. I can report back in a couple of months when we make final payment though...to confirm if the link is indeed active. Wondering perhaps if the Christmas Market sailings might be handled differently when it comes to excursions?? :confused:

I must say that all this safari talk renewed my desire to go on one! DH and I have talked about it, and are considering for his 50th (in 4 years!).

You might also look at AMA's safari offerings. They all involve a 5-day cruise on the Chobe River but there are several variations that add land safaris, Victoria Falls, possibly a luxury train ride...

You might also look at AMA's safari offerings. They all involve a 5-day cruise on the Chobe River but there are several variations that add land safaris, Victoria Falls, possibly a luxury train ride...

Thank you! Had not considered coupling it with a cruise. DH has an idea of where he'd like to stay, but this is another consideration. Appreciated!

We are excited! We sail from Amsterdam on August 24 on AMA AMAPrima - Amsterdam to Budapest. This is our first river cruise after many ocean cruises. I have many questions but the most important may be: what should the temperatures be on this trip from August 24- September 7th?

Also we have signed up for the specialty excursions - "food." I am wondering when we will be able to sign up for optional excursions such as Salzburg? Any special advice in regards to excursions on the Amsterdam to Budapest sailings?

Thank you for any advice.

Our check-in instructions have a link to choose our excursions now. However, we've not made final payment, so the link is inactive. I can report back in a couple of months when we make final payment though...to confirm if the link is indeed active. Wondering perhaps if the Christmas Market sailings might be handled differently when it comes to excursions?? :confused:

We are on a Ama Christmas cruise - AMASerena - Dec. 11 embark and have fully paid. So far there are no excursions listed, so nothing to sign up for yet on ours. Link is still inactive. Not sure when they'll be on there - maybe like the other poster that said until you meet your cruise director during pre-cruise.

We are on a Ama Christmas cruise - AMASerena - Dec. 11 embark and have fully paid. So far there are no excursions listed, so nothing to sign up for yet on ours. Link is still inactive. Not sure when they'll be on there - maybe like the other poster that said until you meet your cruise director during pre-cruise.

If you call AMA, you should be able to get a list emailed to you. I got the list early on, but as I stated, could not book until contact with cruise director.

You are all so helpful! Remember what life was like before Cruise Critic? We only took 1 cruise before I landed on CC and now it's hard to imagine sailing anywhere without the resources we have among each other.

Based on this discussion, I had DH call AMA this morning, and sure enough, we cannot book any excursions until we board. He asked them to email us a list, but we were directed to the link on their site to view the excursions -- https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2017/christmas-markets-on-the-danube

Doktor (or anyone else who's sailed AMA), is this an exhaustive list, or will there be additional excursion choices we should expect? I'm a planner. ;)

AND, how does the excursion booking take place once on board? How do we ensure we can get on the excursions we'd like before they get booked up?

You are all so helpful! Remember what life was like before Cruise Critic? We only took 1 cruise before I landed on CC and now it's hard to imagine sailing anywhere without the resources we have among each other.

Based on this discussion, I had DH call AMA this morning, and sure enough, we cannot book any excursions until we board. He asked them to email us a list, but we were directed to the link on their site to view the excursions -- https://www.amawaterways.com/destination/europe-river-cruises/2017/christmas-markets-on-the-danube

Doktor (or anyone else who's sailed AMA), is this an exhaustive list, or will there be additional excursion choices we should expect? I'm a planner. ;)

AND, how does the excursion booking take place once on board? How do we ensure we can get on the excursions we'd like before they get booked up?

There were no additions. There was a time change on one excursion so we could do two excursions in one day. We signed up for the limited edition tour in Vienna, but once onboard were advised by cruise director not to take it, if this was a first trip to Vienna. We booked all of our options, as soon as we had first contact with cruise director. I was unaware of anyone who was not able to do a tour they wanted. They were very few who signed up signed up for the Schonbrunn Palace tour. Due to small participation, and a minimum, once you signed up for this tour, you could not cancel. We never signed up for this excursion.

Hopefully this will help you. I think it is good to decide in advance what you want to do. There was a presentation each evening as to your choices for the next day.

The reason they ask you to sign up onboard is to order enough capacity on each tour -- so nobody gets turned away. [The only exception is the Limited Edition tours which have a fixed number of places -- that's why those are available to sign up on the website before boarding]

There were no additions. There was a time change on one excursion so we could do two excursions in one day. We signed up for the limited edition tour in Vienna, but once onboard were advised by cruise director not to take it, if this was a first trip to Vienna. We booked all of our options, as soon as we had first contact with cruise director. I was unaware of anyone who was not able to do a tour they wanted. They were very few who signed up signed up for the Schonbrunn Palace tour. Due to small participation, and a minimum, once you signed up for this tour, you could not cancel. We never signed up for this excursion.

Hopefully this will help you. I think it is good to decide in advance what you want to do. There was a presentation each evening as to your choices for the next day.

Something is confusing me. I was under the impression that AMA offered excursions that cost extra? When clicking the excursions link, the descriptions all appear to be excursions that are included in the fare.

Am I incorrect in thinking there are additional excursions offered at a cost? If there are indeed additional excursions offered at a cost, when are those available for reviewing and booking?

Yes,there were additional tours on our sailing at additional cost. Hopefully I can explain this without confusing you. When I booked Feb 1, 2016, AMA's website listed all included tours, plus the optional tours with fees. Our sailing was not until April 2017. A couple months after, their web site changed, all the optional tours disappeared. I was very concerned because I wanted many of the optional tours. My TA called to make sure they were still being offered. Via a 3 way call, I was assured they were still being offered. I still had no written confirmations. Prior to making final payment my TA got me a complete written itinerary emailed from AMA. The written itinerary included all tours offered including the optional tour.

I am sure you can get "all" of the proposed tour from AMA. If you are using a TA, I would have them call.

I can tell you what was offed on our sailing if it will help you, but your's could be different. I think you are going on a Christmas Market sailing.

Yes,there were additional tours on our sailing at additional cost. Hopefully I can explain this without confusing you. When I booked Feb 1, 2016, AMA's website listed all included tours, plus the optional tours with fees. Our sailing was not until April 2017. A couple months after, their web site changed, all the optional tours disappeared. I was very concerned because I wanted many of the optional tours. My TA called to make sure they were still being offered. Via a 3 way call, I was assured they were still being offered. I still had no written confirmations. Prior to making final payment my TA got me a complete written itinerary emailed from AMA. The written itinerary included all tours offered including the optional tour.

I am sure you can get "all" of the proposed tour from AMA. If you are using a TA, I would have them call.

I can tell you what was offed on our sailing if it will help you, but your's could be different. I think you are going on a Christmas Market sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We leave for our Romantic Danube cruise on July 27 and spend 3 days in Prague before cruising. We've received our very impressive cruise package and the excursions are outlined in detail. I also wondered about booking excursions because we're accustomed to ocean cruising. Our travel agent, and niece, just returned from an AMA Mekong River cruise and she said the cruise director distributed sign up sheets for excursions. She found theirs in their cabin. There are additional choices of excursions available online once you've made your final payment. These are specialized excursions and, to me, for someone who has been on many river cruises and wants something a little different.

I've just messaged my niece to see if there is any chance of not getting the excursion you've chosen. She just got back to me and assures me that there are tons of openings available for each excursion and that we all fill them out together. So, be prepared with what you want and be speedy handing it back in would be my take on it.

On the Danube last month the only additional tour we had at "additional" cost was in Vienna for an evening Mozart/Strauss concert.

Everyday there were 2-4+ different tours inckuded to choose from with the bike tours being the only ones with limited number of people due to limited number of bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Optional tours, and we started in Prague.

Prague-Folklore Dinner & Terezin

Regansburg-Weltenburg Danube Gorge

Passau-Salzburg

Vienna-Mozart & Strauss Concert plus Schonbrunn Place

The following Special Interest tours are available for selection on the check-in page for the Aug 3 AmaLyra Paris Normandy sailing.

Day 4 (8/6/2017) Pays d'Auge Excursion

Day 5 (8/7/2017) Gourmet Chocolate Tour & Tasting

Gourmet Chocolate Tour & Tasting

City: ROUEN

Venue:L’Atelier du Chocolat, Le Vieux Carré

Duration: 2 hrs

Overview: Follow your guide through the streets of Rouen to visit two of the city’s decadent treasures. Enjoy a tasting of some of Rouen’s finest chocolates, cheeses and select meats.

Day 7 (8/9/2017) Le Marais *

Day 7 (8/9/2017) Passages Couverts *

Each selection contains a link to tour description. There is no mention of cost or specific time...very little detailed information. I did select one of the tours and received a confirmatory email.

Evelyn

The following Special Interest tours are available for selection on the check-in page for the Aug 3 AmaLyra Paris Normandy sailing.

Day 4 (8/6/2017) Pays d'Auge Excursion

Day 5 (8/7/2017) Gourmet Chocolate Tour & Tasting

Gourmet Chocolate Tour & Tasting

City: ROUEN

Venue:L’Atelier du Chocolat, Le Vieux Carré

Duration: 2 hrs

Overview: Follow your guide through the streets of Rouen to visit two of the city’s decadent treasures. Enjoy a tasting of some of Rouen’s finest chocolates, cheeses and select meats.

Day 7 (8/9/2017) Le Marais *

Day 7 (8/9/2017) Passages Couverts *

Each selection contains a link to tour description. There is no mention of cost or specific time...very little detailed information. I did select one of the tours and received a confirmatory email.

Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, We are on that cruise also and have booked the Chocolate tour in Rouen. That takes place in the afternoon and is no additional charge. We also booked the Palais Benedictine a Fecamp tour which no longer was shown when we booked the Chocolate tour. We booked that one early May and is no additional charge. We took the Bordeaux wine cruise with AMA last August and on embarkation then, more details and times where given about the Special Interest Tours. You also had another opportunity to sign up for these tours.

Karen

YThere are additional choices of excursions available online once you've made your final payment. These are specialized excursions and, to me, for someone who has been on many river cruises and wants something a little different.

I have made my final payment and there are no specialized excursions online yet. I keep checking back but the link is not available.

Have you completed your online registration? I have for my Vietnam/Cambodia trip with Ama but can't see anything yet because I haven't made final payment. I'm sure they want your passport info; for me they also wanted visa info for Vietnam.

Have you completed your online registration? I have for my Vietnam/Cambodia trip with Ama but can't see anything yet because I haven't made final payment. I'm sure they want your passport info; for me they also wanted visa info for Vietnam.

Yes I have completed all of the online registration too. So final payment made a few months ago and online registration completed prior to that.

Yes I have completed all of the online registration too. So final payment made a few months ago and online registration completed prior to that.

I did online registration in early May and was able to sign up for a special interest tour then. About 3 weeks ago signed up for the chocolate tour in Rouen. Checked a few nights ago to see if any other tours had been added and the site was working then. You can sign up for the tours also the first evening of the cruise...at least you could when we did the Bordeaux cruise last August.

We will be on the Lyra Paris to Normandy cruise at the end of September, and when I accessed the Special Interest Cruises on the check in page, the only tours listed were for days 4 and 5. Neither was filled. Does anyone know why the tours on days 7 would be missing? Both of those piqued my interest.

Also, as I follow this thread, is it possible that additional tours will be available for sign-up or purchase only upon embarkation? I am trying to plan ahead, but like to know the options from the beginning. It is still almost 3 months away, but it is beginning to feel real. I appreciate all the information people are sharing.

Cheryl