AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

In my research pre-booking, I had read that AMA had the fewest cruises sailing the entire Rhine a few years ago when others either changed ships mid-cruise or it be came a bus tour. That impacted our choice of AMA. Happy to have this confirmed!

Hope you are enjoying the AmaDante 😊 We leave for Prague 7 weeks from today so I appreciate your posts.

I think there must be a typo in your first sentence?

Regensburg

Could spend a week here! Wonderful city! Walking tour this AM-Great hat shop near church.. Afternoon, went on optional tour of Melk Abbey and sailed through Waltenburg Gorge. Really a nice excursion, however Rained and was VERY Cold! Served a Bavarian Lunch which all seem to enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think there must be a typo in your first sentence?

I left out a few words! My comment should have been that AMA had far fewer cruises negatively impacted by high water or low water, so they were able to continue sailing when others had to change ships or rely on bus tours. I am very sorry for not proofing before submitting.

Regensburg

Could spend a week here! Wonderful city! Walking tour this AM-Great hat shop near church.. Afternoon, went on optional tour of Melk Abbey and sailed through Waltenburg Gorge. Really a nice excursion, however Rained and was VERY Cold! Served a Bavarian Lunch which all seem to enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

doktor, when you get back please post a review with your over all impressions re the ship and crew and the various destinations.

Did the schuko adapter I recommended to you come in handy?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What were the other options when you went to Salzburg?

Thanks,

Susan

The gardens are beautiful. Mozart's birthplace and that of Conrad Doppler are there.

Plenty of shopping and restaurants all within fairly easy walking distances of the town center.

If you are a fan of "The Sound of Music" there are familiar scenes everywhere.

Being located at the base of the Austrian Alps helps also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A tip, and a warning: on each of our AMA cruises we took advantage of the Future Cruise Benefit offer [$200 pp entitles you to 5% off a future cruise and the payment is applied to your deposit]. We applied the first one to the second cruise, but forget that we had the second one when we booked the third cruise -- until I found it among some old cruise planning papers yesterday. I sent a scan to my TA and she was able to have it applied to this booked but not yet sailed cruise. So the tip is that this is a great deal [you get the 5% on top of all other discounts] -- and the warning is that AMA doesn't apply it automatically. So ... buy it, but don't forget you have it!

We're booked on the AmaCerto river cruise from Budapest to Nuremburg with extra days in Prague. Leaving Budapest May 14.

Arriving early in Budapest for a few extra days. Best way to get to hotel from airport?

Second Ama cruise - did the Tulip Time cruise two years ago and loved it!

Anyone else booked on this tour? Any suggestions of tours to sign up for? :cool:

We're booked on the AmaCerto river cruise from Budapest to Nuremburg with extra days in Prague. Leaving Budapest May 14.

Arriving early in Budapest for a few extra days. Best way to get to hotel from airport?

Second Ama cruise - did the Tulip Time cruise two years ago and loved it!

Anyone else booked on this tour? Any suggestions of tours to sign up for? :cool:

Use the official taxi stand to get a taxi. The girl will give you a slip of paper with your destination and the cost. This way you won't be overcharged by an unscrupulous driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Traveling on AMA Certo May 14 for a Danube cruise. VIsiting Terezin is one of the half day tours offered. Does anyone have input? It's one I'm especially interested in but if the guides aren't knowledgeable or if more time is spent traveling than visiting perhaps another tour would be advisable.

We're going from Budapest to Prague. Any advise is appreciated.

If you have extra days on your own in Prague, you can take a full day tour to Lidice and Terezin. Lidice is a very moving memorial to children and their families that were destroyed by the ****s after a top **** officer was killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have extra days on your own in Prague, you can take a full day tour to Lidice and Terezin. Lidice is a very moving memorial to children and their families that were destroyed by the ****s after a top **** officer was killed.

Thanks! That may be a possibility. Did you arrange tours through your hotel or elsewhere?

I cannot remember the tour operator. It was on a Jewish tour website and our leader was an American Rabbi working in Prague. He did a Bar Mitzvah the next day for an American family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot remember the tour operator. It was on a Jewish tour website and our leader was an American Rabbi working in Prague. He did a Bar Mitzvah the next day for an American family.

Interesting. I'll ask my rabbi if she knows of tours in and around Prague. Thanks!

Traveling on AMA Certo May 14 for a Danube cruise. VIsiting Terezin is one of the half day tours offered. Does anyone have input? It's one I'm especially interested in but if the guides aren't knowledgeable or if more time is spent traveling than visiting perhaps another tour would be advisable.

You can wait until you get onboard to ask your questions to the cruise director. I have to say that all the tours are top notch and the cruise director has a say in what direction the cruise guide should cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can wait until you get onboard to ask your questions to the cruise director. I have to say that all the tours are top notch and the cruise director has a say in what direction the cruise guide should cover.

Yes, I agree - the quality of the tours on the AMA tulip time cruise was excellent. It's great to get feedback and information from all directions!

We are sailing AMA Prima Jun 1, Budapest to Amsterdam and I'm so excited I can't contain myself. We booked a "swan room" as someone called it ( I thought the name implied that you had to have a neck like a swan to see out! LOL). Anyway, I just had a call from our TA to say that AMA has upgraded us to a French Balcony room at no extra charge. I just can't believe it. Yesterday was my BD and this is the best present I could possibly have gotten.

I have to admit, I was sorry we hadn't sprung for the nicer room as we always get a balcony on our ocean cruises but it just seemed to be too much to pay, so we stuck with the lower category.

Wow, just wow, AMA, thank you , thank you.

Thank you to all the posters with information on AMA. Five of us leave May 19th for a Budapest to Prague trip and it has been so reassuring to see all the posts. We did a Viking cruise in China and loved it but after reading reviews here about Viking we chose AMA and we are so excited to go on this trip!!!

We did the Terezin tour a year and a half ago and found it very interesting, although solemn. Worth it, in my opinion.

Allyson

We are sailing AMA Prima Jun 1, Budapest to Amsterdam and I'm so excited I can't contain myself. We booked a "swan room" as someone called it ( I thought the name implied that you had to have a neck like a swan to see out! LOL). Anyway, I just had a call from our TA to say that AMA has upgraded us to a French Balcony room at no extra charge. I just can't believe it. Yesterday was my BD and this is the best present I could possibly have gotten.

I have to admit, I was sorry we hadn't sprung for the nicer room as we always get a balcony on our ocean cruises but it just seemed to be too much to pay, so we stuck with the lower category.

Wow, just wow, AMA, thank you , thank you.

That's terrific! We loved Amsterdam and hope to return. A word of caution... look both ways before crossing the street! There are soooo many cyclists and they're very speedy!